GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Build your own RSR clutch kit - Parts list

molo

Ready to race!
As mentioned before, now we have the option to purchase a one click solution for $ 1K or build a $ 600 kit ourselves. There will be market for both; persons who doesn't want to deal with it and enthusiasts who will take the time to build their own. Simple as that.

This thread was not meant to decide whether HS practices are ethical or not. Guys who bought from HS shouldn't feel shamed or robbed... and Guys who are building their kits shouldn't feel smarter. Please stop posting things such as; I rather purchase bla bla bla... it's pointless.

We now have two options to source the same kit and we should be glad about it.

SHOMI

Ready to race!
For most people you are still SOL if you order the clutch from Ohio and live in another state. How would HS help in that case?

This isn't the RSR.. its the C(aulkin)SR clutch!

:thumbsup:
LOL @ C(aulkin)SR
[emoji1]

Stinger

Ready to race!
Partsale.eu for pressure plate 07K 141 015 BX(remanufactured) - paid $325
Spareto for disk (03G141031T) - paid $196
Autohaus AZ for throwaway bearing (0A5141671) and pressure plate bolts (N90320701) - paid $93 for both
Your local Audi dealer for the throwaway bearing bolts $3

Would you like ketchup with that?

Calkulin

Ready to race!
So, the clutch disk is the same one you could get at a VW dealer for a Golf R or an Audi dealer for the A3/TT? Why are people looking for a source in Europe?

Because over here they want to buy the kit, which includes the PP & disk and over there, you can just buy the disc. If anyone finds somewhere here that sells just the disk(& just the PP for that matter), then that would save money

For most people you are still SOL if you order the clutch from Ohio and live in another state. How would HS help in that case?

This isn't the RSR.. its the C(alkulin)SR clutch!

:thumbsup:

:lol:and I fixed that for you lol Even though that wouldn't be a bad name for the combo I'm actually running :cool:

Partsale.eu for pressure plate 07K 141 015 BX(remanufactured) - paid $325
Spareto for disk (03G141031T) - paid $196
Autohaus AZ for throwaway bearing (0A5141671) and pressure plate bolts (N90320701) - paid $93 for both
Your local Audi dealer for the throwaway bearing bolts $3

Would you like ketchup with that?

:thumbup: Be sure to take pics....

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure guys at HS tuning are more then astonished to see this tread...LOLOL
now they've got some competition

that's what you get for trying to make 100% or more PROFIT

oh well, not much i can do about now as i've already bought mine....still LOVE it, but NOT the $$$$$ i paid for it...

They are not. Over a year ago when HS was testing this clutch, Jeff specifically said someone will eventually figure out what we are using when we were talking about it. With enough effort, anything can be duplicated.

For one, they are not making 100% profit. Not even close. They don't make shit on these clutches. What you aren't realizing, is that you are taking prices for REMANUFACTURED items, even seen some people looking at off brand TOB's. HS sells you a brand new OEM pressure plate, a brand new clutch disk, a brand new OEM metal TOB, all the required bolts and any required modifications all nicely packaged and shipped. If you seriously take into account what all of these parts new cost, you will see that the profit margin is quite small, like VERY small.

Can you put it together yourself for cheaper with remanufactured parts? Sure. When your clutch doesn't work and starts failing who do you call? Nobody. When you purchase from HS you get the satisfaction of knowing that if something were to not work out right that they have your back.

Business's are in business to make money. Plain and simple. They took the time, which was a lot of it, and a ton of cash to find the perfect combination of clutch that has been working in multiple applications with a lot of power. Pulled a shit ton of trannys, tried a bunch of different setups. There was seriously a PP and disk stack half up the wall. Not to mention the clutches that were put free of charge in some cars for longterm testing before it was released.

All of this takes time and money. HS is not a HUGE company. Their is the owner/tech, another tech and one sales person. That's it. When you take into account the NEW parts they are selling and the very slight profit margin using these parts you can see that they aren't making a killing given the time and effort they put in. If that effort was never taken, who knows if anyone would have tried this combination of parts and ever found "the perfect solution."

I commend you guys for taking a chance on coming up with your own hodgepodge of parts to build a clutch. But in no way should negative feedback go back to HS Tuning. They are one of the most helpful, knowledgable and plain old cool guys out there. They put in the time and effort to find a solution, which has now been copied..which is fine. But they can't be looked at negatively for making a couple bucks off something they were the first to put together. That's like asking APR to give away free tunes because it's just changing some stuff with a computer...

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
This^

I in no way feel ripped off or deceived by HSTuning. I paid the sale price of $925 and got the full install kit, etc.

I bought it knowing that it was OEM parts and that was the appeal. I bought it at a time when i needed the clutch and it was the best one at the time. Very happy with it.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
They are not. Over a year ago when HS was testing this clutch, Jeff specifically said someone will eventually figure out what we are using when we were talking about it. With enough effort, anything can be duplicated.

For one, they are not making 100% profit. Not even close. They don't make shit on these clutches. What you aren't realizing, is that you are taking prices for REMANUFACTURED items, even seen some people looking at off brand TOB's. HS sells you a brand new OEM pressure plate, a brand new clutch disk, a brand new OEM metal TOB, all the required bolts and any required modifications all nicely packaged and shipped. If you seriously take into account what all of these parts new cost, you will see that the profit margin is quite small, like VERY small.

Can you put it together yourself for cheaper with remanufactured parts? Sure. When your clutch doesn't work and starts failing who do you call? Nobody. When you purchase from HS you get the satisfaction of knowing that if something were to not work out right that they have your back.

Business's are in business to make money. Plain and simple. They took the time, which was a lot of it, and a ton of cash to find the perfect combination of clutch that has been working in multiple applications with a lot of power. Pulled a shit ton of trannys, tried a bunch of different setups. There was seriously a PP and disk stack half up the wall. Not to mention the clutches that were put free of charge in some cars for longterm testing before it was released.

All of this takes time and money. HS is not a HUGE company. Their is the owner/tech, another tech and one sales person. That's it. When you take into account the NEW parts they are selling and the very slight profit margin using these parts you can see that they aren't making a killing given the time and effort they put in. If that effort was never taken, who knows if anyone would have tried this combination of parts and ever found "the perfect solution."

I commend you guys for taking a chance on coming up with your own hodgepodge of parts to build a clutch. But in no way should negative feedback go back to HS Tuning. They are one of the most helpful, knowledgable and plain old cool guys out there. They put in the time and effort to find a solution, which has now been copied..which is fine. But they can't be looked at negatively for making a couple bucks off something they were the first to put together. That's like asking APR to give away free tunes because it's just changing some stuff with a computer...

No one should be bashing a company for making money, that's the whole point of it, I personally only questioned the decision to grind off the part #s but whatever, who really cares anymore.

But I will say if what I bolded is true, whoever is in charge of buying them, did not do a very good job of getting the right prices because I have personally seen what the wholesale prices of these parts are(I have a friend who owns a shop) and they are around ~$665 price for all new OEM parts and that was for 1, if I were to buy, lets say 10, 50 or 100, like a shop would, that price would be lower. So if making $335 per clutch(minus the labor of drilling the holes) is a small profit margin then I don't know what to say.

Again I'm not bashing HS Tuning, they're a great company and I've have and will continue to buy parts from them, I just don't like when I hear that they aren't making money on these clutches. If they really aren't, then they need to get a new parts supplier with better pricing cause they're just throwing their profits down the drain.

Last edited:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
What is their warranty/guarantee on the RSR?

Nothing specifically says what the warranty is, but I could guarantee if you had a problem that they would work with you just the same as any other clutch company.

When you sell hundreds of clutches that have been driven on for thousands of miles even on stage 3 cars and haven't had ONE MENTION OF A SLIP EVER it's pretty hard to gauge how you would warranty such an item. But given that info, if you ended up with a slipping clutch, obviously something went wrong and in that case something would be done.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
I believe the efforts of this thread is to give those who have considered the cost advantage to be found by searching for the best availability and pricing for similar or like parts as found in the RSR kit a place to list their finding.

IMO this thread is not for those who want to FANBOY for HS Tuning because this thead is not about the HS Tuning RSR clutch but It is about how to achieve the same or better or at least results for the needed application.

If you have a RSR clutch good for you and good luck to you and if you are one of those who are happy with what you paid I am sure HS tuning is also happy with what you paid.

So from this point forward let's not FANBOY for HS Tuning because most of us agree they are great. I think most of us also agree they should be able to grind off part numbers and make as much money as they want for reselling OEM parts.

I hope those that are interested in this thread together can find at least one great clutch kit solution with great availibility and pricing. I also believe with this forum's efforts even more than one soultion could be found.

Calkulin's combo is different than the RSR clutch kit and after testing may or may not be a good solution but either way I say THANKS and good luck to Calkulin.

Last edited:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I believe the topic of this thread is for those who have considered the cost advantage to be found by searching for the best availability and pricing for similar or like parts that will produce improve performance similar to the results of the HS Tuning RSR clutch kit.

IMO this thread is not for those who want to FANBOY for HS Tuning because this thead is not about the HS Tuning RSR clutch but It is about how to achieve the same or better or at least results for the needed application.

If you have a RSR clutch good for you and good luck to you and if you are one of those who are happy with what you paid I am sure HS tuning is also happy with what you paid.

So from this point forward let's not FANBOY for HS Tuning because most of us agree they are great. I think most of us also agree they should be able to grind off part numbers and make as much money as they want for reselling OEM parts.

I hope those that are interested in this thread can find at least one great clutch kit solution with great availibility and pricing. I also believe with this forum efforts even more than one soultion could be found.

Calkulin's combo is different than the RSR clutch kit and after testing may or may not be a good solution but either way I say THANKS and good luck to Calkulin.
In for fanboying.

Wait shit.

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!
I believe the efforts of this thread is to give those who have considered the cost advantage to be found by searching for the best availability and pricing for similar or like parts as found in the RSR kit a place to list their finding.

I hope those that are interested in this thread together can find at least one great clutch kit solution with great availibility and pricing. I also believe with this forum's efforts even more than one soultion could be found.

I say thank yo to both parties because without both, this thread would never have happened

Stinger

Ready to race!
+1

HS Tuning is doing great work for the VW community and I am certain these clutch kits are not their most profitable products/services.

I also trust Calkulin's research enough that I have made the effort to source the parts from Europe and the US, all for $650 delivered. I will post pics when I get them and later feedback when the clutch is installed in mid-late August.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Good find, I wish I hadn't just bought my clutch from them about a month ago....seems like a rip off for what little "R&D" they did.

I wouldn't say the did little R&D, sure they didn't manufacturer any parts but from what I've read, they did test multiple combos, which takes at least a couple of hours of install to try each, plus the money they spent on the clutches themselves. A little over priced, yeah but not quite exactly a rip off IMO