GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 11-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #127
PetrolHead
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: Ellis Juan
Doesn't seem right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Some say, he owns a Saab 9-4X. And some say, he also modified an AMC Pacer. All we know, is he's called PetrolPlac.
PetrolHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #128
9V7W3
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2Dr CSG Golf R - APR Stage 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead View Post
Doesn't seem right.
Yea tell me about it.. I'm even more uneasy after talking to them. It bothers me about the metal clean out after my cam follower exploded and cam shaft wore through the pump.. Does anyone know if it's normal practice to remove the head for this type of cleaning? I paid about $2,500 for the repair when that happened and it was explained to me that the engine was cleaned of metal shavings, but is it possible to be done properly without the head being removed?
Golf R 2DR CSG - Sun/Nav | 25% 3M | APR Stage 2 Flash | APR Intercooler | APR TB RSC exhaust - Diamond Black | APR HPFP | VWR Intake | Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch/Flywheel | NewSouth VentPod | APR RFD|

"That thing goes from 0 to F#K YEA in 3 seconds...." - Rick Harrison
9V7W3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:08 AM   #129
PetrolHead
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: Ellis Juan
Maybe? I'm not sure how you'd properly flush the engine without removing the head, but I suppose it's possible. I just don't see how metal shavings would cause the head gasket to fail ONLY on the exterior of the engine. Metal flying around in the coolant won't just cause it to fail. It would have to block a passage, cause overheating, and the head my warp or something to cause gasket failure, and then it would be both inside an outside. It's rare that a head gasket would fail just to the outside of the engine. If there's coolant on the outside of the engine, I'd be more inclined to blame the water pump or something like that. The bigger concern with metal particles in the engine would be in the oil...that would wreak havoc on critical parts (pistons, cams, lifters, anything oiled).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Some say, he owns a Saab 9-4X. And some say, he also modified an AMC Pacer. All we know, is he's called PetrolPlac.
PetrolHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #130
9V7W3
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2Dr CSG Golf R - APR Stage 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead View Post
Maybe? I'm not sure how you'd properly flush the engine without removing the head, but I suppose it's possible. I just don't see how metal shavings would cause the head gasket to fail ONLY on the exterior of the engine. Metal flying around in the coolant won't just cause it to fail. It would have to block a passage, cause overheating, and the head my warp or something to cause gasket failure, and then it would be both inside an outside. It's rare that a head gasket would fail just to the outside of the engine. If there's coolant on the outside of the engine, I'd be more inclined to blame the water pump or something like that. The bigger concern with metal particles in the engine would be in the oil...that would wreak havoc on critical parts (pistons, cams, lifters, anything oiled).
Yea you're right.. I've never heard of a head gasket ONLY leaking to the outside either on ANY car.. I'm picking it up in a few hours and going to have a look myself and bring it somewhere else as soon as I can. Nothing adds up.

Also already had to change the water pump on the car once the original one started vomiting all over the place at 10K miles..
Golf R 2DR CSG - Sun/Nav | 25% 3M | APR Stage 2 Flash | APR Intercooler | APR TB RSC exhaust - Diamond Black | APR HPFP | VWR Intake | Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch/Flywheel | NewSouth VentPod | APR RFD|

"That thing goes from 0 to F#K YEA in 3 seconds...." - Rick Harrison
9V7W3 is offline   Reply With Quote