GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Underhood Shield

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

After seeing the high quality of the PTP Turbo K04 Lava Turbo Blanket and the PTP Turbo Firewall Blanket, I asked PTP Turbo if they could custom build a proper underhood blanket to replace the hideous, frayed OEM fabric blanket and add a little more sound deadening to the hood and overall engine bay. I wanted a custom underhood blanket for the clean look, sound deadening and the one-time fix for the OEM deterioration problem. PTP Turbo was quick to provide a solution after I mailed them my OEM underhood blanket. Using that as their outline, PTP Turbo fabricated the hand built PTP Tubro Underhood Shield in the same shape, retaining the mounting holes and making sure the blanket fingers fit snugly into the underside cutouts.

Product Description:
Tired of your factory and factory replacement hood shields deteriorating on your Volkswagen MK5 or MK6? The PTP Volkswagen MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield was designed to replace the OEM hood shield, providing a long-lasting insulation solution that not only looks great, but also provides superior heat protection and noise-reduction over the OEM insulation and traditional OEM insulation replacement options.

The Volkswagen MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield is constructed using a ¼” fiberglass insulation with inner and outer layers of black silicone. Kevlar stitching ensures that the MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield will provide you with years of protection from high engine bay temperatures. Don’t be afraid to raise your hood. This matte black underhood shield won’t show dirt and stains, and cleans up easily for rallies and shows. Wipe clean with a dry, lint-free towel.

The MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield is a high-quality insulation product that won’t have you replacing your hood shield every other year.

OEM Blanket Deterioration:

PTP Turbo Underhood Shield:

Installation:

Overall Feedback:
Needless to say, this PTP Turbo Underhood Shield fit like a glove (based on the OEM shape) and looks way better. It provides a subtle look so it doesn’t stand out too much and doesn’t take away from the engine bay. You can use the OEM retaining clips/fasteners to mount the PTP Turbo Underhood Shield to the underside of the hood. The fingers of the PTP Turbo Underhood Shield stay snugly in place once they are tucked up inside the hood cutouts. Between this PTP Turbo Underhood Shield and the PTP Turbo Firewall Blanket, the annoying direct injection ticking noise is gone which speaks to the sound deadening capabilities of these products. Overall, I am really happy that PTP Turbo was willing to create another custom product for the Volkswagen marketplace. They are going to offer a full MK5/MK6 insulation package inclusive of their PTP Turbo Underhood Shield, PTP Turbo Firewall Blanket and their PTP Turbo K04 Lava Turbo Blanket.

BP11

Banned
I'm sorry, "crap" is the exact opposite of what this company produces.

Thanks for your beneficial contribution to this thread.

Actual benefits are:
-Increased sound deadening
-High quality replacement of failing OEM blanket
-Those looking for a more custom engine bay

That didn't answer my first question. How much $ does all this cost? And for 'benefits' I only see 1 (sound deadening) as the other two aren't really...'benefits'...I mean, maybe if you're the kind of person who likes plastidip and underglow... LOL

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
This product is not going to be a performance gain or typical mod money expenditure, it's a complimenting product for those looking to drop some DI noise and have a better looking blanket hand built in the US.

Product Description:
Tired of your factory and factory replacement hood shields deteriorating on your Volkswagen MK5 or MK6? The PTP Volkswagen MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield was designed to replace the OEM hood shield, providing a long-lasting insulation solution that not only looks great, but also provides superior heat protection and noise-reduction over the OEM insulation and traditional OEM insulation replacement options.

The Volkswagen MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield is constructed using a ¼” fiberglass insulation with inner and outer layers of black silicone. Kevlar stitching ensures that the MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield will provide you with years of protection from high engine bay temperatures. Don’t be afraid to raise your hood. This matte black underhood shield won’t show dirt and stains, and cleans up easily for rallies and shows. Wipe clean with a dry, lint-free towel.

The MK5 and MK6 Underhood Shield is a high-quality insulation product that won’t have you replacing your hood shield every other year.

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
I have the turbo blanket and like it, but I'm not understanding what this would do other than trap heat in the engine bay? Maybe I'm missing something?

Sound deadening.

My hood liner fell apart earlier this year, so I took it off. Now I hear all sorts of annoying engine sounds...:mad0259::mad0259::mad0259::mad0259:

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
im in at $199. anything to make my engine quieter.

but its $349. I dont think hyde is allowed to link the page or say the price. $350... lol....

Jerseynoob

Ready to race!
Depending on how long you have your car, you might go through 3 more liners after the original factory one shits the bed.....or you could buy once, cry once and have this.

mattttt

Go Kart Champion
I'm definitely going to spring for it, I don't understand what people don't understand about it. What do they want, a piece of material to increase horsepower?

Thanks Hyde, as usual, for the quality and thorough review. At least some of us really appreciate your efforts!

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng
Hyde- any negative impacts on temps (IAT/Coolant/Oil)? Also, any HydeCoupon? [emoji481]

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

but its $349. I dont think hyde is allowed to link the page or say the price. $350... lol....

Y

Depending on how long you have your car, you might go through 3 more liners after the original factory one shits the bed.....or you could buy once, cry once and have this.

Exactly, that's the theory here, one and done plus cleans up easy, offers sound deadening and looks WAY better.

I'm definitely going to spring for it, I don't understand what people don't understand about it. What do they want, a piece of material to increase horsepower?

Thanks Hyde, as usual, for the quality and thorough review. At least some of us really appreciate your efforts!

Lol, you're welcome and I appreciate your feedback.

Hyde- any negative impacts on temps (IAT/Coolant/Oil)? Also, any HydeCoupon? [emoji481]

Yes, I was told there is a HYDECOUPON if you call up and talk to Joe. Also, the GREATEST discount will come from two upcoming full insulation kits inclusive of the turbo blanket, firewall blanket and hood blanket, basically each piece will be discounted.

BP11

Banned

I too would be in for around the $200 mark as the DI ticking really gets old. But $349??? ROFLMAO

I'll pick one up used when people inevitably part out.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: