GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

problems with boost (apr tune) please help

Crunk

Passed Driver's Ed
Still confident it's the clutch. How long has the issue been going on for? If it's been happening for awhile now the clutch is probably glazed badly enough to let it slip at stock power levels.

Also seeing you are in the Bay Area you are most likely using the 91 map which is only a 30 hp gain over stock. So really not that much of a difference.

K, thank you.

JT641

Banned
Hate to say it But I'm starting to think it's the clutch, I know mine started slipping just 2 months after I got my tune.

9V7W3

Ready to race!
DEFINITELY the clutch... Mine behaved the exact same way. Your "mechanic" obviously doesn't understand what's going on.. The clutch is clipping BECAUSE the car is building boost and once the torque gets up too close to where the friction of the clutch disc starts fail and to let go THAT is when you lose it and it starts to slip.. If you weren't building boost at all you would have a bigger problem. Time to find a new shop.

kelmadics

Passed Driver's Ed
hey JT64, I am planning on upgrading to APR Stage 1 also and most probably will have to deal with this problem. Can I ask you how much you paid for the clutch and did you upgrade the clutch or stick with the OEM one?

Is it better to upgrade to a performance clutch? For other experience Golf R tuners, what did you guys do when you had this problem?

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
hey JT64, I am planning on upgrading to APR Stage 1 also and most probably will have to deal with this problem. Can I ask you how much you paid for the clutch and did you upgrade the clutch or stick with the OEM one?

Is it better to upgrade to a performance clutch? For other experience Golf R tuners, what did you guys do when you had this problem?

If you're thinking about or need a new clutch, I highly recommend the RSR Clutch. It uses your stock flywheel, so clutch feel is literally the same. I actually compared mine to a friend's stock clutch, and mine felt lighter. It's rated for 480ft/lbs. I'm running mine on Stage 3, and it holds like a champ. All that, no noise, and stock pedal feel.

Previously I had a ClutchMaster FX350. Lasted a year. Actually less. The TOB failed. Would not recommend.

Crunk

Passed Driver's Ed

The clutch I ended up getting was the South bend stage 2 dxd endurance clutch kit. $1,500.00. jt64 has the same clutch I have