GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
simpson110
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 gti
Still confident it's the clutch. How long has the issue been going on for? If it's been happening for awhile now the clutch is probably glazed badly enough to let it slip at stock power levels.

Also seeing you are in the Bay Area you are most likely using the 91 map which is only a 30 hp gain over stock. So really not that much of a difference.

Pm me for vagcom in southern ct(near new haven)
simpson110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #16
Crunk
Autocross Newbie

Drives: black 2012 golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson110 View Post
Still confident it's the clutch. How long has the issue been going on for? If it's been happening for awhile now the clutch is probably glazed badly enough to let it slip at stock power levels.

Also seeing you are in the Bay Area you are most likely using the 91 map which is only a 30 hp gain over stock. So really not that much of a difference.
K, thank you.
APR Stage 1 tune & Carbonio intake/South bend stage 2 DXD clutch kit/R8 coil packs/ngk plugs/Magnaflow Catback exhaust/ gfb DV+/unibrace ub & xb/ Diesel Geek Sigma 6 short shifter/ New south performance vent boost gauge/ ECS smoked side marker lights/back seat delete/cg seat belt lock / rear wiper delete/ neuspeed RSE 12 hyper black wheels
Crunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #17
JT64
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Everything
Hate to say it But I'm starting to think it's the clutch, I know mine started slipping just 2 months after I got my tune.
JT64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #18
9V7W3
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2Dr CSG Golf R - APR Stage 2+
DEFINITELY the clutch... Mine behaved the exact same way. Your "mechanic" obviously doesn't understand what's going on.. The clutch is clipping BECAUSE the car is building boost and once the torque gets up too close to where the friction of the clutch disc starts fail and to let go THAT is when you lose it and it starts to slip.. If you weren't building boost at all you would have a bigger problem. Time to find a new shop.
Golf R 2DR CSG - Sun/Nav | 25% 3M | APR Stage 2 Flash | APR Intercooler | APR TB RSC exhaust - Diamond Black | APR HPFP | VWR Intake | Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch/Flywheel | NewSouth VentPod | APR RFD|

"That thing goes from 0 to F#K YEA in 3 seconds...." - Rick Harrison
9V7W3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #19
JT64
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: Everything
Problem solved he replaced the clutch
JT64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #20
kelmadics
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: MKVI Golf R
hey JT64, I am planning on upgrading to APR Stage 1 also and most probably will have to deal with this problem. Can I ask you how much you paid for the clutch and did you upgrade the clutch or stick with the OEM one?

Is it better to upgrade to a performance clutch? For other experience Golf R tuners, what did you guys do when you had this problem?
kelmadics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #21
EvoKnvl
Rally Car Champion

Drives: VO 1 Series M; Prev: RB Mk6 R Stg3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmadics View Post
hey JT64, I am planning on upgrading to APR Stage 1 also and most probably will have to deal with this problem. Can I ask you how much you paid for the clutch and did you upgrade the clutch or stick with the OEM one?

Is it better to upgrade to a performance clutch? For other experience Golf R tuners, what did you guys do when you had this problem?
If you're thinking about or need a new clutch, I highly recommend the RSR Clutch. It uses your stock flywheel, so clutch feel is literally the same. I actually compared mine to a friend's stock clutch, and mine felt lighter. It's rated for 480ft/lbs. I'm running mine on Stage 3, and it holds like a champ. All that, no noise, and stock pedal feel.

Previously I had a ClutchMaster FX350. Lasted a year. Actually less. The TOB failed. Would not recommend.
EvoKnvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #22
Crunk
Autocross Newbie

Drives: black 2012 golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmadics View Post

The clutch I ended up getting was the South bend stage 2 dxd endurance clutch kit. $1,500.00. jt64 has the same clutch I have
APR Stage 1 tune & Carbonio intake/South bend stage 2 DXD clutch kit/R8 coil packs/ngk plugs/Magnaflow Catback exhaust/ gfb DV+/unibrace ub & xb/ Diesel Geek Sigma 6 short shifter/ New south performance vent boost gauge/ ECS smoked side marker lights/back seat delete/cg seat belt lock / rear wiper delete/ neuspeed RSE 12 hyper black wheels
Crunk is offline   Reply With Quote