GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TSI Wastegate Rattle?!

phant0m

Ready to race!
Taking my car in tomorrow and hopefully they will put the clip in. I am so sick of hearing the rattle at 2500 rpm.

Good luck! My dealer wouldn't do it. Brought it in multiple times and even referenced this TSB number and they claimed they couldn't hear it and that all noises were "completely normal and within spec for a TSI engine".

Finally got tired of them and their BS, bought the clip and had a euro shop install it while they were under there doing other work. No more rattling at all, nice and quiet now :)

v.b

Ready to race!
I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread, or in some other thread, but if you have to pay $50 for that stupid clip, just save the money and put it towards a k04. Its a much nicer sounding turbo :)

GertieGTI

Ready to race!
My dealership claimed they had not done one which I find very hard to believe. Had to convince the tech by driving him around. 100% gone now after the install. Now I hear all the other rattles on the interior. Grrrrrr.

mamock116

Ready to race!
Dealership told me that it was due to a loose downpipe gasket and wanted $383 to fix it. Im pretty sure those bolts are tight but Ill check it out tomorrow to confirm.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

Wed-Wabbit

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you so much for this thread! This noise has been driving me nuts during cold start and light acceleration under load!

Will look into getting this done ASAP!

Thanks for the info and amazing thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Dealership told me that it was due to a loose downpipe gasket and wanted $383 to fix it. Im pretty sure those bolts are tight but Ill check it out tomorrow to confirm.

A little late with my reply. Could be worse, when I brought this issue to the dealers attention due to the rattling noise I had they told me it's detonation due to dirty fuel injectors and tried to sell me a fuel injector cleaning service for $350. Told them about the TSB but they didn't acknowledge it so I bought the clip myself, installed it and the rattle was gone.

Dubbinj

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to bump this but can someone please tell me if the rattle you hear in my video is the wastegate? Recently installed a ECS downpipe and this popped up a few days ago. DP was installed 4 weeks ago.

I can only hear it between 1,000 RPM and 1,200 RPM.

https://youtu.be/krnppEwHliU

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Sorry to bump this but can someone please tell me if the rattle you hear in my video is the wastegate? Recently installed a ECS downpipe and this popped up a few days ago. DP was installed 4 weeks ago.

I think typically youll only hear wastegate rattle under load. If you're just revving it neutral its prob loose downpipe connection, heatshield rattle or hanger issue on your new DP.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion

I can't tell you if it's wastegate rattle but I also have a similar noise with my ECS downpipe. It's particularly noticeable on cold starts. Makes me think it's something to do with the downpipe.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure I had the wastegate rattle. Sounded like someone coasting on a bike. Just put the clip in last night and so far haven't heard it yet, although didn't try that many times. Always happened to me on decel in lower gears, mainly 1-3 anywhere below 2500 rpm.

Dubbinj

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't tell you if it's wastegate rattle but I also have a similar noise with my ECS downpipe. It's particularly noticeable on cold starts. Makes me think it's something to do with the downpipe.

Mine's had a little metallic rattlesnake noise since I put it in. Last few days it just got a lot worse. Sent the video to ECS, let's see what they say.

cchase__

Ready to race!
I had a rattle with the ECS downpipe but realized I put the clamps on wrong. There's a piece between the clip that has a H shape and I fit it together wrong. Maybe check If you did the same?