GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

w0n's r3GTI

w0n

Greetings from the other side of the world, folks! Recently registered on this site to learn more about my car, and see if I can find an inspiration with 'customizing' mine. Just a little background about myself- I've never been a car guy. Ever. It was by chance that I got into a bit of automotive photography, when I had my first taste of a properly fast car, when I got hooked. Went over to the dub-side back in Dec 2012, when I purchased a 3-door Polo GTI. I guess, as the story books go, the rest was history. There was no turning back. In April 2015, I purchased my second veedub.

2012 Volkswagen Golf GTI
Deep Black
5-door w/ sunroof

Planned mods (those marked as '?' still under consideration):
1. R lights -- done
2. custom catless downpipe -- done
3. CF spoiler?
4. CF rear diffuser?
5. 17"/18" rims?
6. stage 1 map
7. SSBH + brake pads
8. intercooler + intake?
9. wrap?

Last edited:

w0n

Fast forward to about a six weeks back; I'd noticed that prices for the mk6 GTI had started to be within my affordable range. I'm an impulsive person, so after a frenzied week of searching various online listings, I'd set my sights on a car, drove some 400km up north to see it in person, and plonked a deposit, as I worked out the remaining paperwork with my bank.

Another few more weeks of hibernating in my carpark and with all the necessary items taken care of... I spent some time cleaning up the car for some quick pics. Allow me to introduce... the r3GTI:

Ok- so let me first put it out in the open: my ultimate goal is not to extract every single hp from the engine, or have the stiffest most rigid handling hot-hatch around. My car is a daily driven car so it needs to be 1) reliable 2) usable 3) fun. No plans to ever track the car (tried that on the Polo, doubt I will want to in the Golf), so not necessary for BBK, LSD, etc.

Target? Between 230-250hp, with a slightly more rigid rear. Stock brakes are good for everyday use, SSBH and pads would be perfect, I reckon. Most important -- the car must look and sound fast. For me, this is actually more important than actually going fast; I have many opportunities to drive really fast cars, so I don't need to go all out with the r3GTI.

Anyway, its obvious I'm an aesthetics kinda guy, so less than 24 hours of having her, I took a long lunch break, then did the mandatory light change.

My options were limited; most of the vendors listed on a local marketplace no longer had any in stock, and with the mk6 getting older, most of them told me it was unlikely they would stock more. Eventually, I went for Taiwan made reps (that cost 60% the price of an original set). I've decided prior, that I do not want to spend more than 10% of the price of the car on mods, so decision making is a fairly straightforward process.

Scheduled an appointment for 12:30 noon, and after a brief wait, they had started work on my car. By the time I grabbed my camera, the two guys had pretty much already removed the original lamp housings, and were working on installing the new ones. In total, it took them something like 35mins to complete the job. No coding, all just plug and play.

What's the difference between reps and ori, you ask? Well, I've never felt a set of ori R lights, but I can tell you that the housing on my burger lamps feel better constructed, heavier than these reps. You can feel this as soon as you hold both in your hands. But I'm happy with the end result -- the R3GTI looks much, much better now!

Last edited:

w0n

And here are some quick pics of both my GTIs out getting some sun :)

The r3PGTI is now hibernating at my carpark, waiting for a buyer. But, times are hard and it is rather hard to get a bank loan. If I had lots of money, I'd keep both. But hey, I hardly see the point with two cars that look 75% the same... right??

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Nice rides! Welcome aboard.

w0n

Thanks guys! :)

Quick update:
Parked side-by-side, the Golf has significantly less aural presence compared with the Polo. Clearly, something needed to be done about the way the car sounds, so I decided for a catless downpipe over the weekend. Why not do a simple resonator delete on the Golf then? Well, the Polo gained a raspier tone and definitely had a little more oompfh during DSG farting, but it ultimately sounded very... unrefined. In any case, I was never really quite happy with the way the Polo sounded anyway, hence why I opted for a different route, and had my fingers crossed...

To remove the downpipe completely, there is first a need to free up some space in the engine bay. Next, they jacked up the car to remove the downpipe and from there it was a simple replacement process - with the stock downpipe removed, it was simply a matter of placing the new catless downpipe in, fastening the bolts, plugging the adapters back in, and we were good to go! Easy! Total time taken for this was about 80 mins. No cutting or welding; literally plug and play. Very painless mod indeed. And result!

I'm quite pleased with the end results. DSG farts are much more audible now (between 4-5k rpm is the sweet spot for shifting), and cabin noise has not been compromised too much, at least not under normal driving. However, at higher revs (i.e. Sport mode), there is little difference, as the shifts happen closer to redline.

Here's a short clip of the car in action; apologies about the low-res video; received it via whatsapp which compressed quality significantly. Anyway, its the farts that count! Btw- not sure how to embed video within this post, so had to use a link instead:
https://youtu.be/uNKPTkfc5LY

And just to put this down in case I forget...

I went for a catless downpipe less than 48 hours after getting my car, so I have not been tracking the car's average fuel consumption. However, I find that my current fc is pretty high. Fulled up on Sunday, and at the half tank mark, I only managed 176km; that's pretty horrendous, especially considering I drive 80% normal with some spurts here and there. Driven the same way in my Polo, I average ~200km; and with a smaller tank capacity too! It has been almost a weeksince the dp swap, so the ECU should have adapted already, but I'll continue monitoring this for the next 2 fuelups or so and see if my fc improves.

Some folks have mentioned to me that a map will fix this problem; truthfully, I have not done my research. But... if I think about it; catback delete should essentially give a free-er flowing exhaust, and that should mean my fc should improve? Right? Anyway, I'm not ready to map yet. I'm happy with the power I have so far. Perhaps the problem is my driving style, but I am driving the same as I would in my little GTI.

Hmm.

esse-esse

Very very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Scheduled an appointment for 12:30 noon, and after a brief wait, they had started work on my car. By the time I grabbed my camera, the two guys had pretty much already removed the original lamp housings, and were working on installing the new ones. In total, it took them something like 35mins to complete the job. No coding, all just plug and play.

You actually paid someone to install your tail lights? :iono:

w0n

Cheers guys :)

Very nice did you able to active also 4 brake lights?
Not yet- will get that sorted soon, when I meet up with some friends who have VAGCOM.

You actually paid someone to install your tail lights? :iono:
Yes- here in Asia, that's just the way things are done. Prices here include taxes and installation.

Anyway, going to get my petrol filter checked. Getting horrendous mileage! Can't even get 300km before the light comes on!

w0n

After many weeks of trying to decide between wrap or coat, I finally went ahead with the latter and had my car sent in. Both options have their respective pros and cons, but I honestly wanted my factory paint to gleam a little more. Perhaps when the shine starts to lose its luster, will I then decide to wrap it.

In the meantime, I'm super pleased with the results!