GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > VW Golf R Forum

Old 07-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Goingnowherefast
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 16 GTI S 6MT, 91 Miata
Aftermarket Turbo Outlet Pipe worth it?

Hello guys, I'm going to do a OEM Golf R K04 install on my MKV this weekend. Since I am using a K04 right off of a Golf R I will need to change the turbo outlet pipe to either the OEM or aftermarket. Doing this will make it basically the same exact motor as you guys have so I was wondering if any of you have run an aftermarket turbo outlet pipe with good results? Gains in feel, spool sound (since the turbo muffler is deleted), or response etc.

I am on a strict budget here and the OEM one is ~$169 and the cheapest aftermarket (CTS/Spulen) is $229. Any help would be appreciated. Would it be worth it?

Turbo miata build starting here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96866
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
lateapxr
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf R
Send a message via AIM to lateapxr Send a message via Yahoo to lateapxr
I just recently installed both TOP and TBP. I noticed more of a gain with the TBP. That said, the TOP pipe was still a good buy.

Both are also something you could do later down the road without needing the motor out of the car.

If you have to chose between TOP or TBP, I'd go with the TBP. Then again, you're looking at a little extra in comparison to the OEM TOP, so I guess you might as well get the better pipe?

You might be able to find some cheaper knockoffs on eBay for a lot less. That's actually what I ended up buying and I've had no issues so far; it's just piping.

Or this would also work well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-Turbo-MK...81437f&vxp=mtr
IE S2 Pro | Evoms | do88 FMIC | Neuspeed TOP & TBP | GFB DV+ | 42DD DP (cat/res) | 4" Magnaflow Rep Tips on OEM Catback | 034 Insert | IE Shifter/Linkage Bushings | BMW Clutch Stop | Neuspeed RSB | DBall Remote Start | MKV R32 Belly Pan | Bridgestone RE050A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Bob View Post
"Late average slope turn in guy"
lateapxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Goingnowherefast
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 16 GTI S 6MT, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapxr View Post
I just recently installed both TOP and TBP. I noticed more of a gain with the TBP. That said, the TOP pipe was still a good buy.

Both are also something you could do later down the road without needing the motor out of the car.

If you have to chose between TOP or TBP, I'd go with the TBP. Then again, you're looking at a little extra in comparison to the OEM TOP, so I guess you might as well get the better pipe?

You might be able to find some cheaper knockoffs on eBay for a lot less. That's actually what I ended up buying and I've had no issues so far; it's just piping.

Or this would also work well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-Turbo-MK...81437f&vxp=mtr
Awesome find man. I just bought that lol. Looks lightly used and was cheaper than any oem one I could find. Thanks again man!

Turbo miata build starting here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96866
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
mcgti6
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 2d black dsg GTI
I've upgraded both TOP and TBP. I felt a pretty noticeable change after getting rid of the OEM TOP. It was one of the first things I changed. I believe it'll be required that you change it out if you are going K04, not something you can wait on later if you are switching K03 to K04. Fits are slightly angled differently.

Also, I have heard stories of some brands having fitment issues to where you have to tweak the pipes or brackets a little to make em usable. I replaced both my pipes with NEUSPEED pipes because I didn't want to screw around with fitment problems. It was exactly fitted to where it had to go. No problems at all with install.
mcgti6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
lateapxr
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf R
Send a message via AIM to lateapxr Send a message via Yahoo to lateapxr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
Awesome find man. I just bought that lol. Looks lightly used and was cheaper than any oem one I could find. Thanks again man!
Woohoo!!
IE S2 Pro | Evoms | do88 FMIC | Neuspeed TOP & TBP | GFB DV+ | 42DD DP (cat/res) | 4" Magnaflow Rep Tips on OEM Catback | 034 Insert | IE Shifter/Linkage Bushings | BMW Clutch Stop | Neuspeed RSB | DBall Remote Start | MKV R32 Belly Pan | Bridgestone RE050A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Bob View Post
"Late average slope turn in guy"
lateapxr is offline   Reply With Quote