GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

BigLar11

My 2012 has been doing that too. I run injector cleaner fluid through it every month and it helps it out a bit but every now and then when it starts cooling down from running temperature and when I start it it stalls or is about to stall. I brought it to the dealer but they looked at it and they found nothing. It sucks because it's basically a brand new car. I picked it up with 1,800 miles and it now has 10k on it

cobie56

Ready to race!
I was going to suggest octane, as well.

Last week, when I drove up to your fine country I noticed that the stations in New Hampshire had 87/89/91, no 93. Maine/Vermont/New York all had the real deal. Don't know what's up with the Granite state.

Didn't catch what octanes were available in Quebec, because, as a real 'murken, I have no clue what a liter or litre is.

doesn't matter what a liter is (1 u.s. gal = 3.78 ltrs) quebec, and all of canada for that matter still use the same octane ratings we do in the usa.

ProV1x

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a '11 GTI with 45k miles, bought it used and owned for 1 year.

4 weeks ago, it started to have rough idle and stall shortly after cranking over, ONLY on a warm engine. I can reliably reproduce it after letting it sit for 1 hour and starting it. It will restart 15 min later. When running, everything runs fine.

Vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX8Cbm7qIRY

Had it seen at VW dealer; they said 'fuel rail pressure' was low; suspect a faulty in tank fuel pump. $840, no drivetrain warranty b/c it is "not connected to the engine". I spoke with VW rep and VWoA but same response. Whether this is a critical safety issue/warranty coverage item is for another thread, but I was disappointed and concerned. Filed a DOT NHTSA complaint.

This is a problem for '11 GTIs that's posted many times, but without a definitive solution. There seems a recall for Tiguans for this same problem.

Then 4 days ago, CEL light came on: code: P2293.

I replaced the fuel filter - no difference.

I am ordering a LPFP ($130 at Buyautoparts, $350 at dealer) - my research indicates this is the culprit.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Epic bumpage.

Well, add me to the list of GTI owners that's experienced this problem. Stock. First time occurrence at nearly 70K.

Driving home from work and my low fuel light comes on. Nothing new, run it to around the same level most times I fill up. Stop at the usual Shell station on my route and fill it with 93. Start it up. No problems. May or may not be related, just figured I'd mention it.

Stop at a store to pick up a few items. I'm in there 10, maybe 15 minutes tops. Come out, try to start it up and get the same result seen in several videos in this and other related threads. It turns over, but doesn't start cleanly. Sputters and burps for a few seconds around 500, then dies. Try to start it again, same result. One time I tried to start it and gave it gas hoping to push it above 1K, but that seemed to kill it even faster.

Let the car sit for about 10 minutes, tried to start again, no dice. My thought at this point was something fuel related...maybe a fuel pump...or an injector...maybe I got a little unlucky and it's just a batch of bad gas.

Called for a ride and by the time they got there (about 20 minutes after my first attempt at starting), I figured I'd give it one last shot. Bam! Starts right up. Dafuq? Wasn't too confident driving it to other errands so I left it for a couple hours. Came back and she started right up again. Turned it off and tried starting again, no issues. Drove home. Parked. Off and on again...started up again.

Weird.

And, now I read all these different threads about people having the same problem (gives me some sense of comfort) only to find out that there doesn't seem to be any real solution (sense of comfort gone). Gonna take it to my indie shop tonight to see if there are any codes, but judging by what others have said, I'm not expecting to get any...which is good and bad, obv.

There is a particular setting that seems to trigger this more than others from my experience.

AC on on max. Fan on speed 1 or 2.
Drive for about 5-10 minutes. Turn off the car with AC settings as above. Park for 5-10 minutes. Then start the car, and it seems to trigger it more often than not. I have close to 3000 miles and use BP93. Second time with BP.

Citco93 seemed to trigger it more than BP93, almost always dead on to the point where I had to make sure AC was off before starting.

It seems almost as if the car doesn't know AC is on and does not kick its RPM higher to make sure the motor can sustain the increased load. It doesn't bother me as much as creaking noises that local VW dealer doesn't seem to hear. My very first VW, loved the car, but I now understand why it's a second rate german brand, no offense.

I will say that this is the lone mitigating factor to my experience as well. I don't usually leave the A/C on when I turn the car off. I usually turn everything off before shutting down and starting, but in my haste to get into the store, I must've forgotten. Still, I turned everything off before trying the second and third time without any success. It seemed like time was the only thing that helped...almost as if the engine was flooded.

Here's what I found out. Take your car to the dealer and tell them what the problem is. Ask them to contact the tech helpline. They should update your ECU to software revision 40. That's SUPPOSED to be the fix.

I can't confirm that it works, only that its supposed to.

Hope that's not the case as I haven't gone to the dealer in awhile...and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Wonder if the indie shops are privy to software revisions...

This story sounds familiar. Just got mine fixed at the dealership (hopefully). Here's how it went down. Hope this helps.

I had the same stalling problem happen to me the first time about a month ago. Started car, it wanted to stall, stayed around 500 rpm. When I tried to put the DSG in reverse, it wouldn't link up. I shut it off, turned it back on, and it ran great for two weeks.

Then, completely unrelatedly, my AC quit working about two weeks ago. Brought it in, and the dealer found an AC hose had been cut by an adjacent hose's clamp whose screw vibrated against the AC hose over time. It's very similar to what's discussed in this thread:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=648220

The dealer replaced the hose, moved the hose clamp, and charged the AC system under warranty. I arrived to pick it up a few days later.

When I got there, a service manager brought the car around. I got in, started it up, and the stalling action happened again. This time it was even worse, complete with rough idle and eventually the engine dying. I couldn't believe my luck that this other problem re-emerged right in front of a dealer. The service manager tried to start it again, and it did the same thing, complete with CEL lights flashing. The dealer immediately ran a diagnostic on it and got no codes. They turned it off, turned it back on, and it ran fine again.

So the car went back into the shop, and they tested the fuel system with pressure gauges. What they found was that when the car was turned off, the pressure in the fuel system downstream of the pump would drop over time. They also saw some high amp readings going to the fuel pump during operation. They weren't sure if it was the fuel pump or the fuel pump control module, so they replaced both under warranty.

I don't know what the problem was exactly, but if pressure was leaking back across the pump, it may have been a bad check valve. To me, having fuel leak back across the pump would make sense in explaining an issue that only arises during startup. I'm guessing that it just causes the engine to starve for gas while the fuel line is filling up during startup. I've had it back for a few days now with no problems. If I have any more issues, I'll post about it.

Will have to remember to ask them to check the fuel system. Advisor at the indie shop did say that he's seen a couple of these instances and they replaced the fuel pump control module. Not sure about the success rate. Will see what he says later this evening.

Anyone else had this issue? There are numerous threads about this, but I figured I'd limit the bump to the one that closely matched what I experienced.

Other related threads:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58988
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63148
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85117&highlight=won't+start&page=2

Like you and others, I've also noticed this with A/C on, all on summer days. First time it did this, the A/C had been on in the car without the engine on (friend was waiting in the car lol). Not sure about everyone else but I hear the warning chime and get an ESP error, which doesn't happen if I stall it via clutch.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
aj_law, your issues are much different than mine (and others). Since your issue is much worse than mine, it will probably be more easily diagnosed. Get a Vagcom on it and read some codes.

By the way, my car even when it was at its worst, would always start if I stepped on the gas pedal. Sounds like yours isn't doing that, so it is probably a different problem.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
One code, two hits.

P0087 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too Low.

Awesome.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Turns out it was the LPFP (the one in the tank beneath the back seat), not the HPFP. HPFP was tested multiple times and held at all levels.

Now I get to wait around for the other shoe to drop...

ProV1x

Passed Driver's Ed
After replacing the LPFP, this problem completely went away.

Why LPFP is NOT covered under the drivetrain warranty, and VWoA refused to pay for it, is beyond me. They gave me some $hit like "Use better quality gas", and "we only cover things attached to the engine".

I love my VW but completely lost faith in VWoA. They've lost future sales from me

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Epic bumpage.

Well, add me to the list of GTI owners that's experienced this problem. Stock. First time occurrence at nearly 70K.

Driving home from work and my low fuel light comes on. Nothing new, run it to around the same level most times I fill up. Stop at the usual Shell station on my route and fill it with 93. Start it up. No problems. May or may not be related, just figured I'd mention it.

Stop at a store to pick up a few items. I'm in there 10, maybe 15 minutes tops. Come out, try to start it up and get the same result seen in several videos in this and other related threads. It turns over, but doesn't start cleanly. Sputters and burps for a few seconds around 500, then dies. Try to start it again, same result. One time I tried to start it and gave it gas hoping to push it above 1K, but that seemed to kill it even faster.

Let the car sit for about 10 minutes, tried to start again, no dice. My thought at this point was something fuel related...maybe a fuel pump...or an injector...maybe I got a little unlucky and it's just a batch of bad gas.

Called for a ride and by the time they got there (about 20 minutes after my first attempt at starting), I figured I'd give it one last shot. Bam! Starts right up. Dafuq? Wasn't too confident driving it to other errands so I left it for a couple hours. Came back and she started right up again. Turned it off and tried starting again, no issues. Drove home. Parked. Off and on again...started up again.

Weird.

And, now I read all these different threads about people having the same problem (gives me some sense of comfort) only to find out that there doesn't seem to be any real solution (sense of comfort gone). Gonna take it to my indie shop tonight to see if there are any codes, but judging by what others have said, I'm not expecting to get any...which is good and bad, obv.

I will say that this is the lone mitigating factor to my experience as well. I don't usually leave the A/C on when I turn the car off. I usually turn everything off before shutting down and starting, but in my haste to get into the store, I must've forgotten. Still, I turned everything off before trying the second and third time without any success. It seemed like time was the only thing that helped...almost as if the engine was flooded.

Hope that's not the case as I haven't gone to the dealer in awhile...and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Wonder if the indie shops are privy to software revisions...

Will have to remember to ask them to check the fuel system. Advisor at the indie shop did say that he's seen a couple of these instances and they replaced the fuel pump control module. Not sure about the success rate. Will see what he says later this evening.

Anyone else had this issue? There are numerous threads about this, but I figured I'd limit the bump to the one that closely matched what I experienced.

Other related threads:

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58988
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63148
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85117&highlight=won't+start&page=2

One code, two hits.

P0087 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too Low.

Awesome.

Turns out it was the LPFP (the one in the tank beneath the back seat), not the HPFP. HPFP was tested multiple times and held at all levels.

Now I get to wait around for the other shoe to drop...

*sigh*

Yet another bump.

Almost same exact issue happened again this afternoon. About 9K since the LPFP was replaced. Have no idea if it's the LPFP again or the HPFP or an injector issue...

:mad:

I did just receive another campaign reimbursement/recall (in addition to the one I received for the coolant pump) for an ECU issue (I believe) and a fuel system issue, but I don't know if this problem is related to those campaigns.

:(

Goddamnit, I love this car, but...it feels like I can't go more than 3 or 4 months without some issue popping up.

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Happened to me in april. Took my car in and they changed the fuel pump under warranty. My recommendation is:
1.) Get the service campaign ecu upgrade (24AX) as it is supposed to help solve this problem
2.) Try to refuel before you run your tank low enough for the gas light to come on

MOhlrogge

Bumpity bump......

I'm in the same boat here at 76k miles.

Been having this issue intermittently for multiple months now.

Brought it to the APR dealer about a month and a half ago, since I have stage 2, and they did a carbon cleaning, replaced a fuel injector and my front O2 sensor, which I requested they do.

Sadly, I had to bring it back because the problem never went away and they just called me to say my rear O2 sensor is bad. As much as I would love for that to be the root cause of the issue, I highly doubt it.

I am getting several codes from the car:
P2096: Post Cat Fuel Trim System Too Lean, Bank 1
P0088: Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too High
P2271: O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich, Bank 1 Sensor 2
P150a: Engine Off Timer Performance
P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire
P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
P0238: Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor "A" Circuit High

I spent nearly $2k on the last visit and the dealer says they won't work on the car because its been chipped.

Sooooooo FML.......

Anyone have any resolution?

edwardnese

Passed Driver's Ed
I have this issue as well, looking for any resolution/ideas.

When i start the car up after it has warmed up, on certain occasions the rpms would flutter at around ~500rpms then go to normal idle rpm of 800.

I have also changed my LPFP and still experienced this issue. One thing we can conclude from this thread is that, it is not the LPFP. Could it be the fuel filter or fuel injectors?