GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BC Racing BR Series Coilover Review

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
A Daily Driver’s Review/Install on BC Racing BR Series Coilover System system for the MKVI GTI.

So, I have had my car for about 2.5 years now and I was in the market for a new coilover setup. I was looking for something that had a “track type feel” but wouldn’t sacrifice street drivability and comfort. My goal was to increase suspension performance without compromising streetability. While my current setup had a decent ride, I was limited by its fixed dampening setup.
So my search began…. I looked at many different setups. First I knew I needed a coilover system with dampening adjustability. I narrowed it down to 2 coilover systems. I chose BC Racing because they offered PillowBall top mounts vs the standard VW rubber strut top mounts.. (And because my favorite Professional Drifter Ryan Tuerck has BC Coils on his FRS! GO Tuerck!) With the standard OEM setup “style”, there is no front camber adjustment. With the BC Racing Coils, you can add up to -3.0 front camber. (That is definitely more than I need) Also, the 30-way adjustability for dampening/rebound is not too shabby :D

Here is a list of the functionality the BC Racing BR Series Coilover System offers:
- Mono-tube shock design
- Full height adjustability through the shock body (not spring)
- 30 levels of damping adjustment (compression/rebound)
- Front camber plates are included on all applicable kits
- Custom spring rates available as well as a SWIFT spring upgrade (upon request)
- 1 year warranty against manufacturer defect
- Completely rebuild able and individual parts are available separately for purchase

Note, when ordering the coils, you have the option to choose your own spring rates*

For the GTI, the standard spring rates are:
Front 7KG = 392 lbs. per spring
Rear 6KG =336 lbs. per spring

My initial thought was that the springs will be too harsh. My prior setup was 325lbs front and 245lbs rear. To my belief, the BC springs are spot on. (Maybe I’ll switch to the 7KG rear as well, I ride low, but we will see the more I drive with these)
So on to the pictures!

Install was pretty straight forward. I have worked on many GTIs/Golfs so I know my way around the chassis.
With the help from my friends this install went really smooth. No complaints at all. Everything fit well. Quality stuff here!
So on to the height adjustment. This is my first setup that you actually lower the into the shock body. Not adjusting the perches for height. You only use the 2 perch setup for setting proper load on the springs. With having this setup, you are able to keep the correct spring travel at any height which is a plus.
Setting the fronts were a breeze. The rear setup was tricky and took a bit of time since the rear is not a complete strut and spring setup like the front. It’s shock and spring separate. This means you have to get the proper spring load and then you adjust the shock body. On BC’s website, they have a great tutorial on how to set the proper spring load. Also YouTube was helpful.

Front

Rear

Driving Impressions:
I felt the difference the moment I went into a turn. The car felt solid. Body roll was diminished. I have the setting at half way. (15F and 15R). I can admit I was nervous to see how bouncy, rough and harsh these were going to be coming from my prior setup. But that left my mind the moment I dove into a turn. Nothing but smiles. I took 3 of my buddies on separate test rides and they were amazed how solid and nice the coils rode. I’m a fan of “not buying things two times.” But I needed an upgrade and these I can honestly say I am happy with my purchase.

-Real world experience with these coils for about 600 miles now and I set the dampening to 18F and 20R.
I also went ahead and had my Sturt Towers cut so I can access the camber plate for easier alignment adjusting.
Adjusting the dampening is very easy, just lift up the rain tray on the front and turn the dial LEFT for Soft and RIGHT for Hard. For the rear you will need to have the car jacked up. The dial is up near the top of the shock, but easy to get to with your hand.

Pros:
-Price point, and quality. -Doesn’t break the bank.
-Dampening adjustment.
-Powder coated.
-PillowBall tops with camber plate
-Easily rebuildable. Interchangeable between spring rates. Also the option for SWIFT springs.

Cons:
Too early to tell, but so far so good. Nothing really that stands out.
Maybe the 1 year warranty. That’s a little low. Maybe offer a 3 or 5 year warranty.
Camber plate adjustment. Hard to get to unless you cut.

So is the BC Racing BR Series Coilover System for you? Do you want a daily driver feel with track ready technology? Do you want to be low and not worry about bouncing all over the place? Want a setup that doesn’t break the bank? Then these are for you!

Now for some shots of my final setup!!

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
great review. I might need coils soon. Been looking at these or something with adjustable body. Also amazing photos. Seem like something out of a magazine

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
great review. I might need coils soon. Been looking at these or something with adjustable body. Also amazing photos. Seem like something out of a magazine

thank you sir, these are a great setup for the money. cant go wrong here.

callmegti

Go Kart Champion
perfect stance imo and plus who doesn't love enkei rpf1s. Before i went bags, i was going to get bc racing coils. great choice

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
perfect stance imo and plus who doesn't love enkei rpf1s. Before i went bags, i was going to get bc racing coils. great choice

thanks

and BC racing manufactures for Airlift. soooo its still like getting BC coils ;)

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Thanks.. these look amazing! BC racing might as well buy your shots right now.

Smashing ride height and setup (no pun intended) :) I'd love this wheel gap!!