GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #43
pubahs
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 CW, 95 VR6T
Well.... since it seems no one has mentioned it, I will.

I had the door creaking/clunking noises as well. I had the dealer look and service it at 10k. Needless to say nothing improved

I solved the noises with a $0.68 purchase.

1 - roll of black electrical tape

Take a piece approximately 1-1/2" - 2" long and wrap it around the Door Pin/Striker. Should go around about 5-6x.

Door now shuts more firmly, sits tighter... and wow imagine that, the clunking noises are all gone.

Problem solved - fuck the dealer theyre useless and not creative anymore. I give credit to this from someone on Vortex, they called it the "electrical tape mod"
pubahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #44
Justinjor
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI
Pics pubah?
I think I'm in the exact same boat as you. The dealer ordered new window seals that are supposed to go on the car whenever I take it back to them. I think they made some adjustments while it was in for the 10k mile service as the door seems more rickety now. I don't know though, it could just be my imagination.
2013 CSG DSG GTI - wife's ride - bone stock
Justinjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #45
KIX
Autocross Champion

Drives: Beetle RSI and Golf Sportwagen
Send a message via MSN to KIX Send a message via Skype™ to KIX
In Mexico we have a saying: "If it doesnt rattle. its not a Volkwagen."

That said, my left door seals need to be replaced....
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #46
pubahs
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2010 CW, 95 VR6T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinjor View Post
Pics pubah?
I think I'm in the exact same boat as you. The dealer ordered new window seals that are supposed to go on the car whenever I take it back to them. I think they made some adjustments while it was in for the 10k mile service as the door seems more rickety now. I don't know though, it could just be my imagination.
Ill take a pic tonight - VW really should make a durable plastic sleeve, but electrical tape is cheap, and is holding up well
pubahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #47
RacingManiac
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Bye MK6, Hello MK7 PP GTI
I also did the electrical tape fix, and I did a test also to verify if it indeed affected anything. On a 200miles highway trip I drove a part of it without the tape, and halfway through a washroom stop I applied to tape to the striker and drove the rest of the way with it. The windnoise improved and there seem to be less general rattling. But the it does nothing to the "ticking" noise from the B-pillar....
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #48
Justinjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubahs View Post
Ill take a pic tonight - VW really should make a durable plastic sleeve, but electrical tape is cheap, and is holding up well
Nice, can't wait to see the pic. I need to get this fixed on my ride asap.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #49
Gberg2119
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2017 Golf R
I must be in the minority to say I haven't had any issues with the b pillar wind noise. One thing I did notice was the chassis flex by the drivers door. Feels like the door is moving around anytime I'm not on a smooth surface. My Mk5 only had a squeaky armrest when it was cold out. Nothing else. And this electrical tape fix gets rid of the creak?
Gberg2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:13 PM   #50
Justinjor

Mine sounds exactly like that Gberg
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #51
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg2119 View Post
I must be in the minority to say I haven't had any issues with the b pillar wind noise. One thing I did notice was the chassis flex by the drivers door. Feels like the door is moving around anytime I'm not on a smooth surface. My Mk5 only had a squeaky armrest when it was cold out. Nothing else. And this electrical tape fix gets rid of the creak?
whats interesting about that is if you crack the window, it goes away mostly. I'm getting ready to take a small phone video of my recent discovery which i think will lead the dealer to replace the driver's side door seals and channels like they did on my passenger side. I get none of the flex or creaking on the passenger side. if both windows are rolled up, i am outside of my car and i push on the top of the passenger side window against the seals with my palm, its quiet. if i go and do that to the driver's side i can perfectly reproduce the 'creaking flexing' sound we're all talking about. couldn't do it while in the car, have to push on the closed window outside of the car and it flexes like crazy. ah ha!!! im going to show them that and tell them 'make it quiet'. my hunch is if they replace what they replaced on the passenger side, it will then be the quietest mk6 gti ever. short vid coming soon.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #52
Justinjor

Good stuff McQueen. I just got the email from the dealer saying my window seals for both driver and passenger are in and I can swing by anytime to have them installed.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #53
plac

Drives:
VW's attention to detail. Almost everyone has these issues...

Yes, the MK5 was more refined and tight.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:11 AM   #54
McQueen77
Banned

Drives: "We only make one thing..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by plac View Post
VW's attention to detail. Almost everyone has these issues...

Yes, the MK5 was more refined and tight.
i agree 100%, but for me, the car is so fun to drive, so versatile and well done on every other level that i'm willing to fix these minor issues, move on, keep and enjoy the car for a long time.
McQueen77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:27 AM   #55
Gberg2119
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen77 View Post
whats interesting about that is if you crack the window, it goes away mostly. I'm getting ready to take a small phone video of my recent discovery which i think will lead the dealer to replace the driver's side door seals and channels like they did on my passenger side. I get none of the flex or creaking on the passenger side. if both windows are rolled up, i am outside of my car and i push on the top of the passenger side window against the seals with my palm, its quiet. if i go and do that to the driver's side i can perfectly reproduce the 'creaking flexing' sound we're all talking about. couldn't do it while in the car, have to push on the closed window outside of the car and it flexes like crazy. ah ha!!! im going to show them that and tell them 'make it quiet'. my hunch is if they replace what they replaced on the passenger side, it will then be the quietest mk6 gti ever. short vid coming soon.
I'll definitely try the window trick tomorrow. Hopefully theres a more permanent way to fix it.

Last edited by Gberg2119; 03-31-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Gberg2119 is offline   Reply With Quote