GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 10-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
Brad09
Autocross Newbie

Drives: '11 GTI
Buying mk6 with high mileage?

I put 100k on my mkv gti (tsi) before it was totaled, and it ran just as good as it did at 30k when I bought it. So I'm looking to move up to an mk6 and found a 2010 with just under 90k. Because of the miles it's closer to my price range, but should I be concerned about buying one with this many miles? It's completely stock, which makes me feel better. So technically it would be a newer car with fewer miles than my last one. Any advice is appreciated.
Brad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
VR6Growl
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: '12 Jetta 2.5 SEL; '14 328D xDrive
The biggest thing is to make sure the maintenance was all done. DSG service (if it has one), oil changes, coil packs, spark plugs, etc all can be a problem at that mileage if they weren't done according to schedule.

If everything checked out and the car drove well; I would have no problem personally with that kind of mileage, but then again I put about 40k a year on my car so I am more used to it.
VR6Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
Rolling_GTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 GTI
Glad to see there are others who drive like me (40k+ annually)

I agree, mk6 GTI is a well built car. If taken care of it will last a long time, even with the occasional thrashing. As long as the maintenance was done on time I wouldn't be scared of a high mileage GTI
APR K04 | ESC Disabled | Carbonio | COBB TBE | RR Stage 3 clutch | Scarlet Red VMR 701's 18" | Black Unibrace UB & XB | VF Engine/Tranny mounts | DG Skid Plate | S3 Short Shifter | EBC Red Pads, Slotted Rotors | Filled Hood Notch | LED Tails | 35% Tint | Too many small mods to list

I've driven her 236,000 hard miles and still loving it! 27MPG Lifetime average
Rolling_GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
blingdub
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI MK6 Autobahn MT, Uni 1+
just have some money set aside for unexpected repairs....

i bought my GTI at 73k miles. the carfax had some things done under warranty (water pump and intake manifold), and oil changes were done religiously on time. after 2 months of ownership coil packs gave out. i replaced all of them. plus spark plugs. the car kept misfiring, so then i had to get all fuel injectors replaced (thankfully there was an extended warranty, so VW paid for that). now my engine is making crazy knocking sounds and it's at the shop.

all that, in under a year, and 5k miles driven.

i love my car but the cost per mile for me has been ridiculous.
blingdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
I have over 90k on my 2012, purchased new with 99 test miles on it. Besides intake manifold, MAF sensor and water pump replacements, all has been good. You hear more people having issues on their cars with lower miles.

I drive to/from work about 60 miles round trip Monday through Friday. If I wanted to only drive it on the weekends or in sunny weather, I would have bought something else besides a VW.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Taiso0019
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2016 Accord Sport
Word of advice check with local tuners to see if its 'flashed' before you buy it (that is if they're willing to share the info with you). Many members (myself included) have found out it was tuned after having the car for a few weeks. If it was done in the years prior to port flashing I would say pass on it if you don't plan on setting a fair bit money aside for repairs. Not a common occurrence but your ECM could die due to improper sealing. Just something to look out for imo but not a total deal breaker for a clean high mileage car.
2013 GTI DSG TR - Past
Taiso0019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
I wouldn't be afraid of 90k. Drive the car, look it over real good, negotiate a deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
(. )( .)
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Slow
i have almost 145k miles, and have been stage 2 for almost half of those.

no issues w/ preventative maintenance.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #9
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by (. )( .) View Post
i have almost 145k miles, and have been stage 2 for almost half of those.

no issues w/ preventative maintenance.
thats awesome. good to hear
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
I put 100k on my mkv gti (tsi) before it was totaled, and it ran just as good as it did at 30k when I bought it. So I'm looking to move up to an mk6 and found a 2010 with just under 90k. Because of the miles it's closer to my price range, but should I be concerned about buying one with this many miles? It's completely stock, which makes me feel better. So technically it would be a newer car with fewer miles than my last one. Any advice is appreciated.
i think youll have pretty much the same experience with the mk6. check to see if carbon cleaning and dsg flush have been done, otherwise dont worry about it and dont forget to drive it hard so it stays healthy!
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote