GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 08-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #71
Aphix
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 2dr 6MT GTI
killer, awesome to hear that. I actually really like my R IC, and it seems to boost really well for what it is and the performance/speed mods that I have.

I always wondered how the boost would change +/- upgrading to a better IC. do you notice any induced lag before the power? what do you think the change would be like for someone like me with my set up?
APR Stage II v2.0 | RSR clutch | Sigma Six SS | TWM Big Type-R | Unitronic CAI | GFB DV+ | Golf R IC | Unitronic TBE | Neuspeed Pulley / TOP / TBP | Soundaktor Delete | HPA (75A) | SuperPro ALK / LCA / RCA | BILSTEIN PSS10 | 034 Strut / Trans / Motor Mounts | H&R 26mm (S) / 24mm (S) | Tyrolsport Subframe Collar / Brake Stiffening Kit / Stage II Aluminum Hatch Brace | R8 coil packs | NGK PFR7B | Modshack trim | OZ Alleggerita | Hawks HPS 5.0 | Michelin PSS
Aphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #72
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTX2867 GTi Autobahn 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
VERY nice, definitely NOT a fugazi.
Lol no this not some fugazzi part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphix View Post
killer, awesome to hear that. I actually really like my R IC, and it seems to boost really well for what it is and the performance/speed mods that I have.

I always wondered how the boost would change +/- upgrading to a better IC. do you notice any induced lag before the power? what do you think the change would be like for someone like me with my set up?
With the stock GTI intercooler I was seeing 28psi now with the Neuspeed I'm seeing 26.5 psi but I have to log to double check that. As far as lag there is none in fact it is the opposite I feel it spools slightly quicker. Is it worth it on stock turbo over your already installed R IC? Probably and with a ko4,F23 or bigger absolutely. For anyone still running the stock GTI intercooler I think it is worth it as well between the couple hundo the R IC will cost you and then the install of a stock location IC.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #73
Aphix
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 2dr 6MT GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
Lol no this not some fugazzi part!

With the stock GTI intercooler I was seeing 28psi now with the Neuspeed I'm seeing 26.5 psi but I have to log to double check that. As far as lag there is none in fact it is the opposite I feel it spools slightly quicker. Is it worth it on stock turbo over your already installed R IC? Probably and with a ko4,F23 or bigger absolutely. For anyone still running the stock GTI intercooler I think it is worth it as well between the couple hundo the R IC will cost you and then the install of a stock location IC.
interesting, cool to hear your input. dumb question, but is lower psi a good thing? I was lucky and got my R used and installed for $395. otherwise I was really looking at SPM or Neuspeed. both would be about the same cost wise as the SPM is cheaper upfront but cost a bit more to install since it is middle mount.

I still dont know which is the better of the two, SPM vs Neuspeed as far as performance. Id probably go Neuspeed because of fitment and quality.
APR Stage II v2.0 | RSR clutch | Sigma Six SS | TWM Big Type-R | Unitronic CAI | GFB DV+ | Golf R IC | Unitronic TBE | Neuspeed Pulley / TOP / TBP | Soundaktor Delete | HPA (75A) | SuperPro ALK / LCA / RCA | BILSTEIN PSS10 | 034 Strut / Trans / Motor Mounts | H&R 26mm (S) / 24mm (S) | Tyrolsport Subframe Collar / Brake Stiffening Kit / Stage II Aluminum Hatch Brace | R8 coil packs | NGK PFR7B | Modshack trim | OZ Alleggerita | Hawks HPS 5.0 | Michelin PSS
Aphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #74
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphix View Post
interesting, cool to hear your input. dumb question, but is lower psi a good thing? I was lucky and got my R used and installed for $395. otherwise I was really looking at SPM or Neuspeed. both would be about the same cost wise as the SPM is cheaper upfront but cost a bit more to install since it is middle mount.

I still dont know which is the better of the two, SPM vs Neuspeed as far as performance. Id probably go Neuspeed because of fitment and quality.
ECU can adjust boost for requested tq or could be I have a slight boost leak but I doubt it. SPM is straight garbage only stock location IC I would ever buy is the IE or Wagner
Old 09-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #75
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Update

Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #76
St3ph3nsvw12GTI
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 blk GTI DSG
How you like the 42DD exhaust? all stainless? A cat, res stainless 42DD is my next mod hopefully. still not sure.
St3ph3nsvw12GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #77
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3ph3nsvw12GTI View Post
How you like the 42DD exhaust? all stainless? A cat, res stainless 42DD is my next mod hopefully. still not sure.
My 42dd exhaust is straight aluminized no cat no res. I loved it with the ko4 but now with the stage 3 it is wayyyy too much. Just stupid loud the whole car vibrates like a purpose built race car. I am going to add 2 mufflers after the Y.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #78
GreasyGinzo
Formula 2 Driver

Quick update:

Car is running perfectly with the APR stage 3. It is much smoother than ko4 no throttle hiccups or flutter when WOT at low rpm in higher gears. Full boost @3600 and boost spike @4000. It pulls so hard all the way to 7200. My exhaust is much better now with my back seats up and the hatch shelf in. I would still like to get 2 resonators welded in after the Y. I think that would tone it down just a little bit which it could definitely use. The turbo whistle and jet engine noises is much more pronounced with the bigger turbo.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:00 AM   #79
hawk
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Is the APR stage 3 that much better. Really thinking of upgrading from k04 to Stage 3 or stage 3+ this winter. I know its around 50 hp more than K04, but is it really usable?
hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #80
kern417
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: '09 Jetta
yes
If you already have an intake, might as well just go big turbo while you're in the engine bay. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erball View Post
It's only then when I realize, in a moment of clarity, I should have bought Honda.
kern417 is offline   Reply With Quote