GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
Grannycar
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 12 .:R
Golf r downpipe install.

Hi guys, went to go do my down pipe install this weekend and did fine some write ups on it how ever they where all for mk6 gti's. Now it seemed no possible way to get the last downpipe bolt out all the way lower back with out removing the center driveshaft? Is that the only way to get at that bolt? I didn't have any triple squares so I had to bolt everything back up and was kinda pissed lol. And if you guys know what size the triple square is for the driveshaft?
Old 01-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
EvoKnvl
Rally Car Champion

Drives: VO 1 Series M; Prev: RB Mk6 R Stg3
You'll need to disconnect the front of the driveshaft and move it to the side to get the DP out. No need to completely remove it.
EvoKnvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Grannycar
FIA GT Newbie

So that's the 3 triple squares facing towards the back of the vehicle correct? Anyone know that size?
Old 01-25-2016, 01:51 PM   #4
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
I believe you have to remove one side of the driveshaft as EvoKnvl eluded above. You COULD get it from the top by removing the intake and using an extension + 16mm wobble socket at the end.

Doing it from the bottom is doable, but a pain. It was like a single click at a time with a ratcheting wrench. I have never done it on an R, but I have read that the driveshaft needs to be disconnected on one side.
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
thedude4bides
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: '12 Golf R
Here's these:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...wnpipe-install
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81321

Not a job I wanted to tackle so I had APTuning do mine. Good luck, and if you ever see a black R around town be sure to wave!
thedude4bides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
rasetsu
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI, 2014 RS 5, 2005 STi
It's at a 2-3 person job to DIY in a home garage without a lift. The drive shaft gets in the way a lot even when disconnected and shifted over. It's a PITA.
rasetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:33 PM   #7
EvoKnvl
Rally Car Champion

Drives: VO 1 Series M; Prev: RB Mk6 R Stg3
2 man is fine. It's actually not that bad. I've done 2 of them. And 1 time going back to stock. 1x ona lift and the other time on the ground. You'll want some boxes or someting to help support the DS. Once you move it out of the say, you'll have room to get the DP out. Feel free to rotate the driveshaft to help remove the DS bolts. I believe throwing it in neutral lets you rotate it and then putting it back in gear should lock it. It's been awhile so I don't remember for sure. And do the ones in the front near the DP. You may also have to loosen the midsection that supports the DS so you get move it around more.

lilfleck is correct. I remember taking off some bolts going from the top, but I honestly don't remember which ones.
EvoKnvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Grannycar
FIA GT Newbie

Thanks guys. I'm using a lift at work to do it. I had everything removed minus that last bolt so now I know to remove the d/s it should go smooth as butter.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
visceralsoup
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI (sold), 2012 Golf Arrrr
Uhhh this is not a 2-3 person job. I replaced my downpipe in 3 hours by myself with the front on jack stands. You just have to take it step by step. The hardest part is getting upper forward nut off the downpipe flange. I used a 1 foot wobble extension to get it.

Turbo Ranger Build
visceralsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
fatvdub
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 Golf R
yeah one person with the car lifted in the front a couple hours should be fine, please read and re-read the DIY to save time.

Did mine by myself before work, I should have re-read the DIY it would have saved me some time.
fatvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
mattkosem
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by visceralsoup View Post
Uhhh this is not a 2-3 person job. I replaced my downpipe in 3 hours by myself with the front on jack stands. You just have to take it step by step. The hardest part is getting upper forward nut off the downpipe flange. I used a 1 foot wobble extension to get it.
GTI DP install is not the same as R DP install. It is quite a bit more involved and, in at least some cases, involves dropping the prop shaft. It's easily a few hour job, usually more for one person in a garage with jack stands.

--Matt
Old 03-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #12
visceralsoup
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI (sold), 2012 Golf Arrrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkosem View Post
GTI DP install is not the same as R DP install. It is quite a bit more involved and, in at least some cases, involves dropping the prop shaft. It's easily a few hour job, usually more for one person in a garage with jack stands.

--Matt
I was speaking of an R downpipe. Yes there is "more involved" meaning driveshaft. Its 3 bolts and you move it to the side.

Turbo Ranger Build
visceralsoup is offline   Reply With Quote