GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-13-2013, 02:07 PM   #43
rushinr
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2013 Golf R
Denied warranty on the basis of APR stage 1 flash. VW corporate is not going to touch my car for any drivetrain issue from now on.

So I now have a brand new car without any warranty. Time to get rid of it.
rushinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #44
Gazzaharwood54

Drives: Vw golf gti mk6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
It's funny because the primary purpose of a DMF is to smooth out and dampen engine vibration/motion. I wonder how the new part is different from the old one or whether it was a bad install job. Either way, definitely not normal.
Having the same problem hea car had new everything on 19k got told my vw that they updated clutches and flywheels on the change over in 2009 so 2009 onwards or having these problems

I am going to ask for a second opinion cause i am really unhappy with my car

What happens with yours m8
Gazzaharwood54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #45
rushinr
Drag Race Newbie

I bit the bullet and bought dxd stage 2 daily. It was forth the investment for sure. Over all the car feels a lot more responsive. There is almost no idle noise. However there is quite a bit of gear lash under deceleration. And after I drove the car in back to back traffic for about an hour a little bit of pedal vibration was noticeable not as much as before biut a little bit. I have a feeling it's gear rattle anyway.

I am planning on having an extra cup of tranny fluid added to the transmission. Apparently main shaft in the tranny is not submerged in oil so when the car is driven hard tranny oil gets thin causing more noise. So adding a little extra oil helps in some cases. I will report what I find out.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #46
ides1056
Oval Newbie

thought I'd chime in: 2013 R. There's a bit of noise when I let out the clutch. Hard to qualify it. Put 187K on my last VW clutch- 2003 TDI Jetta- before I sold the car. Tech at my dealer has 220K on his Audi A4. When ABS engages as I slide on snow there's a bit of banging in the shift.
Only got 40K out of my first clutch in a T100 Toyota. Think VW does a pretty good job overall, enough for me to stay interested in their cars. No use for automatic transmissions.
ides1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #47
9V7W3
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2Dr CSG Golf R - APR Stage 2+
I wrote this in my other post but though you might be interested as well. I just hit 700 miles on the Southbend stage 2 endurance and so far it's broken in GREAT. Power delivery is unbelievable and holds full boost at even 6th gear at 3K.. A few things I noticed though that don't bother me but might annoy others..

Pros:

-Pedal feel is perfect, almost exactly like stock. It doesn't resist too much more on your foot as far as stop and go traffic is concerned (I sit in 2-3 hours of traffic daily on my commute, hills and all..) so I never find my foot getting tired, but you can still feel that it grabs hard. A good balance IMO..

-Engagement when it's BRAND new is VERY sensitive and you can feel the chatter a little bit, but that's only for like the first 100-150 miles.. Even from the start though I noticed MUCH better and smoother gear engagement, probably due to rev matching being so much easier on downshifts. This is because the flywheel I believe is lighter and allows the engine to rev faster.. At least that's what it seems like to me ever since I got it back. Anyway, everything about drivability is A+ and way better than I was expecting. After break in now the engagement is about mid travel, closer to stock feel but still just slightly more aggressive. I'm very happy with that too.

Cons:

-If you don't like noise, then this part might bother you a little bit.. The clutch itself is actually very quiet on engagement, almost identical to stock now, so that's not an issue. My clutch was whisper quiet from the start though which a lot of people complain is a problem with these things so that might be the only thing i got lucky with on this car.

The only thing I could do without and I'm sure a lot of people would hate is the gear lash noise on deceleration. I described it to my shop guy and he said its normal because of the new flywheel (doesn't make sense to me but ok), and that it's nothing to worry about. I'm inclined to believe them because they cover and stand by their work but it is LOUD. If you're one of those people who drive with the window cracked like me then it's probably going to annoy you. Louder than I've ever heard it on a car.. It's only when you let off the gas to slow with the engine, or after a downshift, but it honestly sounds like a dry gearbox.. I wish someone would explain how the flywheel causes this, but either way it's my only problem with the Southbend Stage 2.

Hope this helps!
Golf R 2DR CSG - Sun/Nav | 25% 3M | APR Stage 2 Flash | APR Intercooler | APR TB RSC exhaust - Diamond Black | APR HPFP | VWR Intake | Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch/Flywheel | NewSouth VentPod | APR RFD|

"That thing goes from 0 to F#K YEA in 3 seconds...." - Rick Harrison
9V7W3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #48
rushinr
Drag Race Newbie

I can explain to you why the flywheel is what's causing you to hear the gear lash noise. The whole reason behind dual mass is to reduce noise from the gear box. Gear lash is caused by gears having space between each other. If they are too closely mashed together they can over heat and break. So they have to be spaced out a bit. When you put load on the engine and gears are under pressure they start to vibrate. Vibration between the gears is essentially what you hear. Dual mass flywheel has springs in it that will absorb that noise. Google "how dual mass flywheel works" and you will know exactly what I am talking about.

My thought is to try and add a little extra fluid to the tyranny. I hear some people had really good results with doing that. Apparently our 6speed trannyes have the main shaft a bit out of the oil and when tranny fluid warms up there is not enough lubrication that causes more noise. If you noticed when the car is cold there is a lot less gear lash noise and less pedal vibration.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #49
9V7W3
Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2Dr CSG Golf R - APR Stage 2+
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushinr View Post
I can explain to you why the flywheel is what's causing you to hear the gear lash noise. The whole reason behind dual mass is to reduce noise from the gear box. Gear lash is caused by gears having space between each other. If they are too closely mashed together they can over heat and break. So they have to be spaced out a bit. When you put load on the engine and gears are under pressure they start to vibrate. Vibration between the gears is essentially what you hear. Dual mass flywheel has springs in it that will absorb that noise. Google "how dual mass flywheel works" and you will know exactly what I am talking about.

My thought is to try and add a little extra fluid to the tyranny. I hear some people had really good results with doing that. Apparently our 6speed trannyes have the main shaft a bit out of the oil and when tranny fluid warms up there is not enough lubrication that causes more noise. If you noticed when the car is cold there is a lot less gear lash noise and less pedal vibration.
I had heard about the main shaft being a little dry by nature in our transmission, definitely going to try adding fluid. Thanks for that explanation makes perfect sense, didn't realize the stock flywheel was two pieces. I understood why the gear lash noise exists and the spacing between gears and all that, I just didn't understand why changing the clutch would make it so much louder. Now that is all cleared up!
Golf R 2DR CSG - Sun/Nav | 25% 3M | APR Stage 2 Flash | APR Intercooler | APR TB RSC exhaust - Diamond Black | APR HPFP | VWR Intake | Southbend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch/Flywheel | NewSouth VentPod | APR RFD|

"That thing goes from 0 to F#K YEA in 3 seconds...." - Rick Harrison
9V7W3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #50
sicklorkin
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushinr View Post
Back from the dead. Issues with my R still continue. Now have about 7k miles on it and here is a nice noise it developed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47p5M...D5tCYxMo0A_ENw
I've got a 2013 with ~11k miles and I hear the same noise. Just replaced the clutch, but still hearing that shudder. Did you ever fix ur issue? I notice after longer drives the sound gets worse..
sicklorkin is offline   Reply With Quote