GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 08-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #29
CiHKAL
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI DSG - APR K04 V3.1 FBO
What is dead may never die, including this thread.

It's been a long time since anything has been posted on the RSX-S build and ultimately how it stacks up to my FBO K04 GTI running on 93oct. It's been a great journey with both cars, ultimately starting with the RSX back in 2002 when it was driven off the showroom floor to the arms race which started about 4 years ago when I purchased my then new MK6. Over these four years I've been progressively tweaking my GTI while my dadís been updating his RSX to keep up with my power increments. My car now sits with the APR K04 kit, their V3.1 tune, FBO supporting mods, the APR DSG tune, and APR's valve springs (damn valve float). As the old pro learns to adapt when something new comes about the RSX is sitting with a long list of mods that range from a low mass fly wheel, stage 4 clutch, CTE SC w/ 3" pulley, Vit Viper aftercooler (kit originally for a Civic Si), KPro Version 4, AEM wideband O2 sensor actually running as the primary, completely rebuilt fueling system for E85, 1000cc injectors, CAI, racing headers, full exhaust, Vit Viper E85 tune, rebuilt suspension, upgraded brake kit, etc.. the only thing left on the list is to increase the compression ratio. The best thing about this project is the car was kept looking clean.. nearly stock while all of the work was done solely in the family machine shop. Needless to say proper changes have been made to keep the car competitive while remaining a wolf in sheepís clothing.

To the more interesting stuff. A few weekends ago we did a couple of inline runs to compare cars, taking turns being in front and counting off. I didnít have any passengers, weight about 164lb, had a ľ of gas, and was using APRís feature for the DSG in which it downshifts to the most optimum gear and upshifts at the most ideal shift points. My brother was in the passenger of the RSX, together they had about 370lb between them, had a half tank of gas, and started one gear higher than I did. The night before this I walked a brand new 5.0, and the only mod I was sure about was his exhaust. I knew the RSX would be fast, but I was a little surprised by the outcome.

https://youtu.be/Hu4JO-BC_ro

Maybe stage 3 is in my future, or at least I'll add the 100oct to my tune selection!

Last edited by CiHKAL; 08-23-2016 at 09:39 PM.
CiHKAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:57 PM   #30
fastlax16
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2016 MK7 R
Did your dad sign up for the half mile next month?
fastlax16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 PM   #31
CiHKAL
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlax16 View Post
Did your dad sign up for the half mile next month?
Sadly no, we've both been talking about that too. My wife's sister is getting married that weekend. Gonna wait for something like that until we both can go, since it ain't cheap.

Btw, nice dyno run. The car should pull pretty hard with those numbers I bet!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #32
fastlax16
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiHKAL View Post
Sadly no, we've both been talking about that too. My wife's sister is getting married that weekend. Gonna wait for something like that until we both can go, since it ain't cheap.

Btw, nice dyno run. The car should pull pretty hard with those numbers I bet!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bummer. 560 hp s2000 is the only Honda I the field.

Fingers crossed that the car performs. Debating running 100 octane and eeking a few more ponies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #33
CiHKAL
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Bummer. 560 hp s2000 is the only Honda I the field.

Fingers crossed that the car performs. Debating running 100 octane and eeking a few more ponies.

I say go for the 100oct to squeeze a few more out. I'm looking to have that file added to my selection soon.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #34
fastlax16
Formula 5000 Driver

With the jb1 it's not really a 100 octane canned tune. Just the ability to run slightly higher boost. Still risk have it pulling timing so I'll have to dial it in he first few runs on my own

Old 09-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #35
CiHKAL
Autocross Champion

S/C RSX-S and V3.1 K04 MK6 GTI

Old 09-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #36
CiHKAL
Autocross Champion

Quote:
With the jb1 it's not really a 100 octane canned tune. Just the ability to run slightly higher boost. Still risk have it pulling timing so I'll have to dial it in he first few runs on my own

I didn't realize you had a JB1, figured you went with APR or another canned tune. Go With the JB1 so yo can tweak things a bit?

Old 09-05-2016, 10:48 PM   #37
fastlax16
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiHKAL View Post
I didn't realize you had a JB1, figured you went with APR or another canned tune. Go With the JB1 so yo can tweak things a bit?

I like the ability to return the car completely to stock in case something catastrophic happens. The jb4 will be out later this year and I'm expecting those numbers to be on par with the canned tunes.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #38
ebuuz
Autocross Newbie

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Sweet update!
2012 CW 6 speed. F23T on APR k04 v3.1, APR Carbonio, CTS turboback, Clutchnet 6 puck disc, 034 Street Density motor and transmission mounts, Hawk HPS 5.0, Motul RBF600, Newsouth boost gauge, DieselGeek SS

Dyno vid of my car
ebuuz is offline   Reply With Quote