GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Aaron_1995
Drag Race Newbie
 
Aaron_1995's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI MK6
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 52
Is this the oem clutch? (Pics)

I'm getting my Southbend stage 2 clutch installed today and my shop sent me pictures. There's one picture where the logo Clutch Masters is visible. I have no idea what the previous owner did to this car and why he'd need to replace the clutch before 32,000 miles. The only thing the dealership told me was there was some bodywork done from hitting a deer. He must have really ran this car hard for the clutch to go out at 36,000 miles on me. I'm don't know too much about cars, but the condition of the old clutch looks in pretty bad shape. Never did any launches and have basically only done pulls. Any help is appreciated
Bonus pics of southbend clutch installed!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aaron_1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Aaron_1995
Drag Race Newbie
 
Aaron_1995's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI MK6
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 52
Bump


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aaron_1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
Surferboy120
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2013 Golf R
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 42
That was not a stock clutch. To me this means he either was a terrible standard driver or he had stage 2 mods on the car at one time. Can you tell if the down pipe had ever been removed? The clutches in these cars are weak with any kind of mods so I am not surprised to see the clutchmaters setup but shocked it needed replacing already.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #4
Aaron_1995
Drag Race Newbie
 
Aaron_1995's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI MK6
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
That was not a stock clutch. To me this means he either was a terrible standard driver or he had stage 2 mods on the car at one time. Can you tell if the down pipe had ever been removed? The clutches in these cars are weak with any kind of mods so I am not surprised to see the clutchmaters setup but shocked it needed replacing already.


I know he has some type of aftermarket exhaust. It looks like it's called OBX performance and I know there's no cat, but I am unsure about the downpipe. Everything else seems stock from the looks of it. I would assume he would have a CAI if he was stage 2 but I have the stock intake. I wish I knew the previous owner so I could find out what all he did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aaron_1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Surferboy120
Go Kart Champion
 
Drives: 2013 Golf R
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_1995 View Post
I know he has some type of aftermarket exhaust. It looks like it's called OBX performance and I know there's no cat, but I am unsure about the downpipe. Everything else seems stock from the looks of it. I would assume he would have a CAI if he was stage 2 but I have the stock intake. I wish I knew the previous owner so I could find out what all he did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These motors are strong so I wouldnt give it to much thought considering the miles just get the basics done and I am sure the car will be awesome for you.

Fluids
check plugs
validate no leaks
make sure the DV is not torn and is current revision if old

Drive and enjoy
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
nyGTI3491
Touring Car Newbie
 
Drives: Had a 2008 gti now a have 2013 gti
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ny
Posts: 180
You can call unitronic apr giac etc. with your vin number and is if the car was ever tuned. But as stated above that definetly isn't stock. Just because of the stock intake doesn't mean it was modded at one point. It's very easy to put a stock air box in.
nyGTI3491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
nyGTI3491
Touring Car Newbie
 
Drives: Had a 2008 gti now a have 2013 gti
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ny
Posts: 180



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nyGTI3491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Aaron_1995
Drag Race Newbie
 
Aaron_1995's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI MK6
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyGTI3491 View Post



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


How are you liking the southbend so far? I'm going to pick mine up tomorrow and I can't wait to drive it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aaron_1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
nyGTI3491
Touring Car Newbie
 
Drives: Had a 2008 gti now a have 2013 gti
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ny
Posts: 180
I have loved since day one. After break in same feel and catch point as the stock on. Holds stage 2 gti power like a champ. The single mass fly wheel is louder then the dual stock one but me personally barely notice it. All and all I would recommend SB as a clutch to anyone that needs one.
nyGTI3491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
Aaron_1995
Drag Race Newbie
 
Aaron_1995's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 VW GTI MK6
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyGTI3491 View Post
I have loved since day one. After break in same feel and catch point as the stock on. Holds stage 2 gti power like a champ. The single mass fly wheel is louder then the dual stock one but me personally barely notice it. All and all I would recommend SB as a clutch to anyone that needs one.


Dope can't wait to see how many car feels when it can actually put the power to the wheels! What'd you do for break in? I've heard 500 miles but I've also seen where people don't go over a certain rpm? What did you do?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aaron_1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
nyGTI3491
Touring Car Newbie
 
Drives: Had a 2008 gti now a have 2013 gti
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ny
Posts: 180
All I did was baby it for the first 500-700 miles in stop and go traffic not sure at what rpms but I didn't really go into boost then I slowly starting to beat the hell out of it shortly after that.
nyGTI3491 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.