GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf R 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #29
socal87
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Black '12 GTI Sun/Nav 4dr 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost pls View Post
Right, I understand this. I guess I just asked the wrong question... The clutch in front of the rear differential allows slip, which accommodates differences in speed between the front and rear axles. I understand this difference would occur when either the front or rear was losing traction.

But the example of having someone drive around in a tight circle to see how the system behaves with the race controller.. If the clutch were fully locked and the person was driving slowly in a tight circle both the front and rear axles would be spinning at the same speed right? So there would be no issue with tire wear... or am I missing something?
If the clutch pack is fully locked and doesn't allow for any slip between the two axles, then driving in a tight circle will result in bucking or scrubbing tires. So, if one were to drive with the clutch pack 100% locked 100% of the time, you'd definitely see increased tire wear and possibly drivetrain damage.

Jubblies. That is all.
socal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #30
socal87
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Black '12 GTI Sun/Nav 4dr 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
So I'm confused... If the mechanics of the haldex system won't allow for greater than 50% torque to the rear wheels even if the front wheels are on ice, then how would a haldex controller upgrade allow for 60% or more to the rear wheels? Unless I'm just completely missing the point

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
They advertise 100% to the rear axle; if the front wheels have no traction then indeed you will see close to 100% of available engine torque being used at the rear axle. However the front axle will spin at the same rate. Imagine a simple chain and sprocket system connecting the two axles. The system cannot direct ALL power to the rear axle as there is no center diff. Its either 100% to the front, or 50% to both. The angle drive for the propeller shaft to the rear is driven by an extension of the front differential case. So, you could completely remove both front halfshafts, and put a machined block in place of the clutch pack, and your Golf R would be RWD.

This would not be possible with a clutch pack because the system reads the ABS wheel speed sensors to determine when the front wheels are slipping. If the front wheels aren't driven...

Jubblies. That is all.
socal87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #31
0-60Motorsports
Oval Newbie

Drives: VW Golf R MK6, 04 M3cs
Guys can someone please tell me the front drive ratio for the diff. Thanks

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk
0-60Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote