GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 04-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #57
ashchuckton
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Base CSG DSG
As a guy who keeps cars a long time & puts lots of miles on them I love this thread. Nice to see only normal maintenance needed. The battery is a normal wear item & carbon cleaning is normal for direct injection. Keep on truckin LighteningRhod!
Old 04-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #58
maxtdi
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 370z,Golf TDI, Crown Vic
Impressive 120k miles with relatively minor work.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #59
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneedscoffee10 View Post
Awesome build thread -- glad to see someone else in this for the long haul! I'm just creeping up on 100k myself, and plan to keep her until it's just not feasible to keep her running anymore.

To celebrate an aggressive first 100,000 miles, I'm starting to mod back towards daily driving comfort - trying to strike a balance between aggressive performance and 25,000 miles a year.

sub'd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashchuckton View Post
As a guy who keeps cars a long time & puts lots of miles on them I love this thread. Nice to see only normal maintenance needed. The battery is a normal wear item & carbon cleaning is normal for direct injection. Keep on truckin LighteningRhod!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtdi View Post
Impressive 120k miles with relatively minor work.
I'm glad you guys are enjoying this thread. I didn't see a "long haul" build thread on here anywhere, so I figured I'd start one.

I've been really impressed with the vehicle so far and it has been pretty solid considering the abuse it goes through
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #60
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

So just sort of thinking out loud here.....

I've been hitting the throttle lately and find myself..........bored with Stage 2 power. I don't get the same boner in my pants anymore when I hit it as before.

So I've actually been thinking about going K04. I go back and forth for a number of reasons:

Pros:
- MOAR passing power at the track
- MOAR fun
- Did I mention MOAR power and fun?

Cons:
- K04 + new intercooler + labor = $4k?. Given that I'm getting married next year, saving to buy a home, and starting a new family in the next few years, not sure that I want to dump that money into the car.
- Reliability? I'd like to keep the car as long as possible
- Slippery slope. Given the K04 and track hobby, I'm probably going to want to upgrade the brakes to an ACTUAL BBK, which is just more money.

There is also the perspective of "I think I'm going to stop tracking the car" and just have it be my daily. I'd de-mod the car to be Stage 1, then buy a dedicated track car to continue my hobby. Miata or E30 are my options at this point, so I can eventually start competing in the Spec Miata or Spec E30 league with NASA.

I might have already answered my own question typing all of this. But what do you guys think?
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

Old 06-11-2015, 02:02 AM   #61
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Car started making a weird noise from the rear when I lock the vehicle, like one of the locks is getting stuck on something (possibly gas tank lock). It happens sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. I'm not really going to deem this a problem until it happens consistently, however I cringe in anticipation when I lock the vehicle now.

Been thinking more and more about going K04, and I'm sort of............undecided. Some days I say yes, some days I say no. Just not sure if I want to keep going down the route of modding the car.

First world problems :/

Mileage update: Sitting at 126k miles at the moment

Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 PM   #62
Sleepin gti
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 csg 6mt gti
Any updates
Sleepin gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:39 AM   #63
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Haven't updated this in a while, but here it is:

Currently sitting at 133k miles, and there have been a few issues with the vehicle (as well as a few mods).

1) At approximately 129k miles, my trunk latch broke. Pushing in the VW emblem warranted a robotic clicking noise and the latch wouldn't stay shut. I replaced it with part #5K0-827-505-A-9B9. Including shipping, the part cost me $80 (it's about $100-110 if you get it straight from the dealer).

2) After some research, I found that the bad noise I've been hearing from the rear of the car when I lock it is the gas tank actuator. The lock functions fine (will lock and unlock correctly), but just sounds terrible when I lock the car. I have my trim removal tools, will fix it soon.

3) Finally got my Bilstein Sport shocks installed on the car a few months ago. Ride was just a bit more firm compared to stock until.........

4) I got my Hotchkis front and rear sway bars installed. Along with the bars, I got the 034 front endlinks and Whiteline rear endlinks installed also. Front is set to soft, while the rear is set to hard. And holy crap, the car rides SUPER STIFF now. Most of this is probably due to the rear being set to hard. With this set up, I really have to dodge potholes on the road now more than before.

5) With the new sway bars installed, started hearing squeaking over speed bumps after a few weeks of the fresh install. I diagnosed it and found that the bushings on the sway bars need to be re-greased (even though I used ALL of the grease included with them). Shouldn't be that bad to re-grease them, as Hotchkis has nipples in the bushing brackets to allow for re-greasing without the need to remove the whole bar.

6) Finally replaced the stock rear pads with the Stoptech Street Performance pads (same as up front). The stock pads weren't scoring evenly on the rotor anymore (a lot of uneven brown spots on the pad due to track days), so they had to be retired.

7) Driver side clear corner lens fell off. The adhesive probably just disintegrated over the last few years. I'll probably just change out my corners back to the stock (ugly) orange ones.

In other news, my track tires are just about done, so I'll be replacing them soon before my next track day. Will mostly likely go with the Bridgestone RE-11's because they've gotten some good reviews and I just want to try something new. Will most likely be back at Laguna Seca in December or January.

Anyway, I'll try to keep this updated more often. Cheers ya'll.

Last edited by LightningRhod; 10-12-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #64
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRhod View Post
Haven't updated this in a while, but here it is:

Currently sitting at 133k miles, and there have been a few issues with the vehicle (as well as a few mods).

1) At approximately 129k miles, my trunk latch broke. Pushing in the VW emblem warranted a robotic clicking noise and the latch wouldn't stay shut. I replaced it with part #5K0-827-505-A-9B9. Including shipping, the part cost me $80 (it's about $100-110 if you get it straight from the dealer).

2) After some research, I found that the bad noise I've been hearing from the rear of the car when I lock it is the gas tank actuator. The lock functions fine (will lock and unlock correctly), but just sounds terrible when I lock the car. I have my trim removal tools, will fix it soon.

3) Finally got my Bilstein Sport shocks installed on the car a few months ago. Ride was just a bit more firm compared to stock until.........

4) I got my Hotchkis front and rear sway bars installed. Along with the bars, I got the 034 front endlinks and Whiteline rear endlinks installed also. Front is set to soft, while the rear is set to hard. And holy crap, the car rides SUPER STIFF now. Most of this is probably due to the rear being set to hard. With this set up, I really have to dodge potholes on the road now more than before.

5) With the new sway bars installed, started hearing squeaking over speed bumps after a few weeks of the fresh install. I diagnosed it and found that the bushings on the sway bars need to be re-greased (even though I used ALL of the grease included with them). Shouldn't be that bad to re-grease them, as Hotchkis has nipples in the bushing brackets to allow for re-greasing without the need to remove the whole bar.

6) Finally replaced the stock rear pads with the Stoptech Street Performance pads (same as up front). The stock pads weren't scoring evenly on the rotor anymore (a lot of uneven brown spots on the pad due to track days), so they had to be retired.

7) Driver side clear corner lens fell off. The adhesive probably just disintegrated over the last few years. I'll probably just change out my corners back to the stock (ugly) orange ones.

In other news, my track tires are just about done, so I'll be replacing them soon before my next track day. Will mostly likely go with the Bridgestone RE-11's because they've gotten some good reviews and I just want to try something new. Will most likely be back at Laguna Seca in December or January.

Anyway, I'll try to keep this updated more often. Cheers ya'll.
any new pics of your car with the bilstein shocks? theres been so many talks on the DG thread if the bilstein shocks raise the car's height or not. did it reduce a lot of roll for you vs stock?
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | TT-RS Brakes | Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero Parts | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club Feel free to join!
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:03 PM   #65
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
any new pics of your car with the bilstein shocks? theres been so many talks on the DG thread if the bilstein shocks raise the car's height or not. did it reduce a lot of roll for you vs stock?
I don't have any new pics of the vehicle, but I can say that the new shocks definitely DID NOT raise the height of the vehicle. Actually, it lowered the vehicle by maybe 1-2mm. Once we got the shocks in, my headlights auto-adjusted and were actually aimed too high, so I had to re-adjust them again. For anybody that has lowered their vehicle and have the Xenon/AFS system, this is usually what happens when you lower the vehicle with new springs/shocks/coilovers etc. I'll try to take new photos when I have some free cycles.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #66
MegaMikeLA
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI
Quote:
I don't have any new pics of the vehicle, but I can say that the new shocks definitely DID NOT raise the height of the vehicle. Actually, it lowered the vehicle by maybe 1-2mm. Once we got the shocks in, my headlights auto-adjusted and were actually aimed too high, so I had to re-adjust them again. For anybody that has lowered their vehicle and have the Xenon/AFS system, this is usually what happens when you lower the vehicle with new springs/shocks/coilovers etc. I'll try to take new photos when I have some free cycles.
...well?
MegaMikeLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #67
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

I've been neglecting this thread, but I have a few updates that I need to type up (repairs/maintenance). For now, here is a shot of how the car sits on the DG springs and Bilsteins I installed more than a year ago:

Old 01-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #68
sauceman101
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 UG GTI 6MT
Quote:
I've been neglecting this thread, but I have a few updates that I need to type up (repairs/maintenance). For now, here is a shot of how the car sits on the DG springs and Bilsteins I installed more than a year ago:

What's your mileage up to man? I'm aspiring to 200k as well, approaching 128k stage 1 for over 70k and should be K04'ing the car soon for the next 70k or so!
2010 UG GTI 6MT: Peloquin LSD, APR Stage 1, DIY RSR Clutch, VWR Streetsport+ Coils, IE Camber Plates, 034M Front End Links, Hotchkis RSB, APR Stage 1+2 Carbino Intake, HPA Red Subframe Puck, Enkei PF01s wrapped w/ Star Spec 2s, AWE DP, [i] Magnaflow CBE, BIG things coming if you catch the drift
sauceman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #69
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceman101 View Post
What's your mileage up to man? I'm aspiring to 200k as well, approaching 128k stage 1 for over 70k and should be K04'ing the car soon for the next 70k or so!
I'll hit 160k at the end of the week.

Good luck on your quest to 200k and beyond as well. I was thinking of going K04 too, but after I hit 200k as a sort of celebration lol .

Old 01-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #70
Mlody91
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Manual DBP 2010 GTI
Didn't realize there was a thread like this for long-term ownership. I'm hoping to keep this car to at least 200k as well so this is a sigh of relief knowing that it's possible