GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #1793
jstama
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wudini View Post
You can pass NJ inspection without headlights installed in your car. Pretty sure you'll be ok. They only run exhaust test if you have an engine light, no?
I just moved to NJ from an inspection-free state. I haven't done the inspection myself yet, but have done some reading on what to expect. They just plug in the computer to check the emissions systems.

Unfortunately, they check for readiness of all emissions systems. Stage 2 tunes typically disable rear 02 readiness so you don't get a CEL from your downpipe.

So far I've heard of two options:
1) reinstall stock downpipe and flash back to stock
2) install rear 02 spacer and reflash to stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
I've seen -3 in stock logs all the time. It's normal. I'd go so far and to say anything less than -5 is fine as long as it's not occurring all the time. Anything over that, you want to start making some changes.
Same here, I got some occasional -2.25 pull when it's hot out on when I was Eurodyne stage 1.
jstama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:07 AM   #1794
gonzo511
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstama View Post
I just moved to NJ from an inspection-free state. I haven't done the inspection myself yet, but have done some reading on what to expect. They just plug in the computer to check the emissions systems.

Unfortunately, they check for readiness of all emissions systems. Stage 2 tunes typically disable rear 02 readiness so you don't get a CEL from your downpipe.

So far I've heard of two options:

1) reinstall stock downpipe and flash back to stock

2) install rear 02 spacer and reflash to stage 1

Same here, I got some occasional -2.25 pull when it's hot out on when I was Eurodyne stage 1.

I thought the cobb stage 2 didn't clear the check engine light from a dp install. I have a spacer on mine and drove around for a while before tuning and didn't throw a code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudini View Post
You can pass NJ inspection without headlights installed in your car. Pretty sure you'll be ok. They only run exhaust test if you have an engine light, no?

Yeah they just plug the car in and check codes and they might drive it over a camera? Not 100% sure.

In any case I'll just flash to stock just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #1795
OhioMK6
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 CSG GTI - 2DR Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo511 View Post
I thought the cobb stage 2 didn't clear the check engine light from a dp install. I have a spacer on mine and drove around for a while before tuning and didn't throw a code.

The COBB stage 2 flash cleared my downpipe CEL light.
Stratified Tune | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily Clutch | ECS Tuning Intake - SPM Downpipe - Corsa RSC Catback - GFB DV+ - Audi R8 Coils + NGK IX Plugs - Koni Coilovers - 3SDM 0.06 Wheels - Hankook Evo V12 - HAWK
HPS 5.0 Pads - ECS Tuning SS Brake Lines - Ziza Golf R Tails - ECS Tuning Street Shield - Eonon GA5153f Android Headunit
OhioMK6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #1796
SirClimax
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2014 CSG GTI
The cobb stage 2 tune definitely clears the CEL

COBB Stage 2/SPM Turboback/IE Intake/Airlift Performance V2/Golf R Front Brakes/Tyrolsport Caliper Stiffening Kit/Slotted Rotors/Stoptech Pads/SS Lines/RBF600 Fluid/Neuspeed Rear Swaybar & Endlinks/VMR V701
SirClimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:27 PM   #1797
gonzo511
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClimax View Post
The cobb stage 2 tune definitely clears the CEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMK6 View Post
The COBB stage 2 flash cleared my downpipe CEL light.

Good to know. I didn't realize since I put a spacer on and then tuned. Never had a CEL. So since it does that would I just have to flash down to stage 1 to pass my inspection?

Old 01-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #1798
mophisto
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: Shadow Blue GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mophisto View Post
I hit it with some MAF cleaner over the weekend. That didn't seem to help, However, I took the cover off the filter tray thing and that seems to have cleaned up the issue. Maybe. we'll see.
So removing the cover from the Filter tray seems to have cleaned up the rev hang issues, but now I'm popping codes (P0101 & P2177) and I'm seemingly having MAF reading issues. Cobb support seems to think I have a boost leak - but since I've only changed the intake (reinstalled twice now) and since I can change the behavior by changing the intake itself, I think Cobb just pooched their R&D, which is sad.

I've got a maf airflow straightener coming (recommended somewhere back in the bowels of this thread I believe) but I'm starting to think the only way to truly fix the Cobb Intake is to not buy it in the first place
mophisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #1799
SirClimax
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Good to know. I didn't realize since I put a spacer on and then tuned. Never had a CEL. So since it does that would I just have to flash down to stage 1 to pass my inspection?

theoretically yes... Make sure to flash down to stage 1 or stock then drive over 100 miles to make sure your CEL doesn't come on because if it comes on during the inspection you will fail. Keep in mind I'm in California and do not have full knowledge of Jersey inspection laws

COBB Stage 2/SPM Turboback/IE Intake/Airlift Performance V2/Golf R Front Brakes/Tyrolsport Caliper Stiffening Kit/Slotted Rotors/Stoptech Pads/SS Lines/RBF600 Fluid/Neuspeed Rear Swaybar & Endlinks/VMR V701
Old 01-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #1800
jon570
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 Gti
Does Cobb have any idea when they will be able to use the launch control or even a no lift shift like the subarus have in their ap?
jon570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:33 PM   #1801
SirClimax
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon570 View Post
Does Cobb have any idea when they will be able to use the launch control or even a no lift shift like the subarus have in their ap?
I doubt you will get an answer but go to their website and contact them

Old 01-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #1802
gonzo511
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirClimax View Post
theoretically yes... Make sure to flash down to stage 1 or stock then drive over 100 miles to make sure your CEL doesn't come on because if it comes on during the inspection you will fail. Keep in mind I'm in California and do not have full knowledge of Jersey inspection laws

Ahh good point. I was just going to flash in the DMV parking lot before the inspection. Well if that works for California inspections, which I hear are a PITA then I should be able to pass NJs.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #1803
urbanevil
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 6 spd
Quote:
Ahh good point. I was just going to flash in the DMV parking lot before the inspection. Well if that works for California inspections, which I hear are a PITA then I should be able to pass NJs.

Don't do this. When you flash you will reset sensors, that need to run 20-60 miles to pass readiness. Just a heads up.
2013 GTI 6spd - CTS k04, Unitronic Intake, Unitronic Turbo Back Exhaust , 42 Draft Designs Boost Tap, GFB DV+, SouthBend Stg 2 Daily,ARM FMIC, Golf R Conversion Front Bumper w/ LEDS, CTS Short Shift Kit, CTS K04 TOP Pipe, CTS Throttle Pipe,Solowerks S1 Coilovers, NewSouth OEM Vent Pod, Podi mechanical Boost Gauge, R8 Coils, NGK Iridium plugs, Eonon GA6153F
urbanevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #1804
SirClimax
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:

Oh that still wouldn't be enough to pass the visual inspection in California lol

Tags
cobb, tuning, will it fit my honda?