GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear suspension squeak

Beej1

Ready to race!
I'm getting an occasional squeak from the rear during straight-line driving, shock compression.

I installed the rear H&R bar away bar 6 months ago, but these are not supposed to be lubricated, and I have not heard of people complaining that these squeak. The car is lowered on Eibach springs and Koni yellow shocks.

Are the upper shock mounts or the rear trailing arm bushings prone to squeaking? Or is it just from the cold weather?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Which Eibach springs? Sportlines or Pro-Kit?

Check the car on the ground...look up in the wheel well and see how much shock travel you have:
Pull down the bump stop/dust boot "assembly" until it hits the top of the shock body.

It "could" be bottoming out the bump stops & making noise

Or it could be the bushings, like you said. Mileage on the car?

Beej1

Ready to race!
I've got the Pro-Kit springs. They lowered the car approx 2". The Konis should be a shorter travel than the OEM shocks though, right?

The car has 78k miles on it.

I'll check and see if I can get access the bump stops.

Thanks for the response!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
If you open up the hatch and push up/down on the rear, does it make the noise?

Maybe have someone else do that and then look/listen for noises

Beej1

Ready to race!
Well, it appears that shock travel isn't an issue. I pulled back the dust boot, and compared to my track car, it's got inches more!

I tried bouncing the hatch around...no squeaks.

It's been almost a week since I've heard the noise. The weather isn't warm, but it's hovering 30s lately. For now, I'm going to chalk this up to cold weather. Maybe the H&R sway bar bushings are getting hard and squeaky when it gets down around 20 degrees.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
For now, I'm going to chalk this up to cold weather. Maybe the H&R sway bar bushings are getting hard and squeaky when it gets down around 20 degrees.

You know, I wouldn't rule that out.

My H&R bar was silent a couple years ago on my old Passat and then all of a sudden made a couple noises when it got cold and I pulled it off, lol