GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Jared32

Ready to race!
If you swap a manual trans in because your manual is toast do you need the ecu for it?

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus

Jared32

Ready to race!
I would think the manual trans is not engine code specific

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's what I was thinking

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
If you swap a manual trans in because your manual is toast do you need the ecu for it?

tcu?

Jared32

Ready to race!
Idk that may be what they are talking about.. is it needed tho?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
I dont think so. Its manual, so I don't see what is actually coded there. Like you can swap the clutch and differential without coding and that's pretty much the transmission

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
hey guys. I want to buy Hawk ceramic brake pads from ECS but theyre descriptions is this : For vehicles with 282/286x12 rear brakes, please see description for more details.

I have a 2012 gti with stock brakes. will i have any fitment issues?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
hey guys. I want to buy Hawk ceramic brake pads from ECS but theyre descriptions is this : For vehicles with 282/286x12 rear brakes, please see description for more details.

I have a 2012 gti with stock brakes. will i have any fitment issues?

2011+ rear rotors are 272mm. The bigger ones are for 2010s.

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
My passenger side window refuses to go up automatically anymore - it also won't go up if I hold the button down. I have to hit the button a few times and the window only goes up a few inches at a time. I had it looked at by a tech and the motor and regulator are good. Any way to fix it/reset the switch as it seems this is where the issue is? Thanks

Edit: The switch also works perfectly fine from the passenger side as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I had a similar thing happen with my drivers window switch. It was fixed under the CPO warranty with a new switch.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
My passenger side window refuses to go up automatically anymore - it also won't go up if I hold the button down. I have to hit the button a few times and the window only goes up a few inches at a time. I had it looked at by a tech and the motor and regulator are good. Any way to fix it/reset the switch as it seems this is where the issue is? Thanks

Edit: The switch also works perfectly fine from the passenger side as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine did the same thing on the Golf TDI I had before the buy-back. Its due to water shorting the switch out, and the stupid design our cars have that allows rain water to easily roll off the roof of the car and drop right onto the switch if your window is open at all.
If your under warranty, the dealer will cover it though. When I got mine replaced, even the service manager said its a pretty common problem and is frequently caused by still water sitting on the roof, say after a rain storm. You start driving and make any kind of right turn, the water runs right off the roof and drops right onto the drivers side switch if the windows open at all.
Ha he literally recommended I keep the windows closed until after I start driving so any still water on the roof can run off some, instead of running off directly onto my window switches....:lol:

davserbic

Ready to race!
I had a similar thing happen with my drivers window switch. It was fixed under the CPO warranty with a new switch.

Mine did the same thing on the Golf TDI I had before the buy-back. Its due to water shorting the switch out, and the stupid design our cars have that allows rain water to easily roll off the roof of the car and drop right onto the switch if your window is open at all.
If your under warranty, the dealer will cover it though. When I got mine replaced, even the service manager said its a pretty common problem and is frequently caused by still water sitting on the roof, say after a rain storm. You start driving and make any kind of right turn, the water runs right off the roof and drops right onto the drivers side switch if the windows open at all.
Ha he literally recommended I keep the windows closed until after I start driving so any still water on the roof can run off some, instead of running off directly onto my window switches....:lol:

..... aaaaannnnnnnd mine died today after yesterday's rain. Blaming it on the Marlboros.

tonymk6

Ready to race!
I just got the P2015 intake manifold code thrown at me. Can the car be driven with that code? It doesn't drive any different so I'm wondering if it's accurate or if it just threw the code randomly.