GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #1
Turbo Beetle
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Turbo Beetle
Brisk Silver Racing DR14YS Spark Plug

Anyone have any feedback on the Brisk Silver Racing DR14YS Spark Plugs? I would like to know how they peformed and how long they lasted and what gap was used and the mods on the car they were installed in. TIA
Turbo Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #2
Turbo Beetle
Touring Car Champion

I search some more after my post here and found this on a Brisk site. (see below)

"Straight from Carma Performance, one of our authorized dealers, here is a back to back dyno. Carma just swapped a set of DR14YS's into a turbocharged Mazda Miata while it was on the dyno. It had NGK BKR7ES's in it before. This is a before and after with no changes other than spark plugs. The Brisk DR14YS produced right at 6hp over the NGK BKR7ES!"
Old 03-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
U-20T
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: BT GTI4Motion
just luck stick with ngk they work and are good. I run NGK in mine and never an issue
U-20T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
booey1979
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 gti cw mt
Ya seriously ngk. Great rep. I've used them I'm past two cars. No issues.
booey1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
Turbo Beetle
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-20T View Post
just luck stick with ngk they work and are good. I run NGK in mine and never an issue
I know you can have a 6HP difference between runs on a dyno with everything the same and many of us know the NGK works but I was hoping someone had tried the Brisk silver racing DR14YS spark plugs and could post some feedback.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:11 AM   #6
elcroato
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 VW GTI, 2000 Skoda Octavia1.8T
I have been using Brisks, but not that model. Rather, the LGS 14DOR-T which has a silver electrode too, but also 4 grounding points. I have had mixed experiences with them. They feel great in the upper RPM band, especially when I use my stock tune, but at idle or close to idle they misfire quite a bit, especially when the engine is warming up. I haven't had that issue with NGK's that I have used before. I'm sticking with them for now as I do enjoy them. I hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:16 AM   #7
Hurdy
Rally Car Champion

Drives: Steel Grey Golf .:R DSG
Personally I wouldn't use silver tipped plugs. Short term they work okay, but quite a few guys over in the UK have had issues after putting 3k miles or so on them. The electrodes wear quickly giving running issues like poor idle, misfires etc.

Possibly even the same plug under a different manufacturer. Over here we have Nology silver plugs with a D4YS code, which is very close to the brisk code.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
Turbo Beetle
Touring Car Champion

Thanks for the feed back on the Brisk plugs. I was worried about how the silver would hold up over time and from the response so far it looks like it may be an issue.

Hurdy, 465whp ~ 385 lbft at the wheels ~ 11.46 @ 120.15 looks like a fun ride.

Last edited by Turbo Beetle; 03-17-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #9
boki
Autocross Champion

Drives: 09 GLI TSI K04 APR
How about the multi-spark plugs from Brisk? Could they give better spark (they claim two sparks per firing) and wear slower than regular ones?
http://www.briskracing.com/brisk-pre...ti-spark-plugs
boki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
bump for that, i am curious ^
Old 06-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #11
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Stick with NGK's.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
I've had extensive conversations with Bret from Brisk. I plan to test my BKR8EIX Iridium plugs vs. the Brisk DR12YS projected spark plugs which are designed to be equivalent to an 8-series NGK plug or even vs. the DR12S non-projected spark plugs which are designed to be an 8.5 series heat range.

I have a feeling my BKR8EIX Iridium plugs are not able to shed the heat fast enough during big turbo spool up (CF/timing correction shows as high as -4 degrees with port fuel but WM off). We have corrected this by ramping up post intercooler WM (50/50 mox) to cool cylinder temps.

Without WM, the Brisk Silver plugs are supposed to shed heat much faster so I'll be testing either the projected or non-projected spark plugs while slightly reducing post intercooler WM to see when CF/timing correction starts again. The goal is to systematically test if Silver plugs can reduce the need for WM while still showing 0 or reduced CF/timing correction compared to the BKR8EIX Iridium plugs.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
FriggenT
Banned

Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDE16 View Post
I've had extensive conversations with Bret from Brisk. I plan to test my BKR8EIX Iridium plugs vs. the Brisk DR12YS projected spark plugs which are designed to be equivalent to an 8-series NGK plug or even vs. the DR12S non-projected spark plugs which are designed to be an 8.5 series heat range.

I have a feeling my BKR8EIX Iridium plugs are not able to shed the heat fast enough during big turbo spool up (CF/timing correction shows as high as -4 degrees with port fuel but WM off). We have corrected this by ramping up post intercooler WM (50/50 mox) to cool cylinder temps.

Without WM, the Brisk Silver plugs are supposed to shed heat much faster so I'll be testing either the projected or non-projected spark plugs while slightly reducing post intercooler WM to see when CF/timing correction starts again. The goal is to systematically test if Silver plugs can reduce the need for WM while still showing 0 or reduced CF/timing correction compared to the BKR8EIX Iridium plugs.
What about the PFR8S8EG? What HStuning recommended to me
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #14
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
What about the PFR8S8EG? What HStuning recommended to me
Platinum plugs are not recommended for methanol usage, this is why I originally chose Iridium. Since Silver can tolerate methanol, I'm going to test them.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote