GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Golf 2.5L Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 06-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #15
MLue1
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 Golf 2.5 CW 5sp / 2009 Tiguan
Lightbulb

Had some brake fade my last Track Day, watched a few GTIs fade in the rear view mirror. Last week I swapped out my HPS fronts with these Porterfield R4 Front Brake Pads. I've had great success with Porterfields before on my Porsche so I suspect they will be up to the task. I coulda used Stop Tech or Hawk HP or similar but the major advantage is they are progressive and provide good feel even when really HOT. Make sure you bleed your brake fluid, that makes a big difference as well.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...07&SVSVSI=5073

https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/search.php

Expensive but worth it IMO.

Last edited by MLue1; 07-04-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Adding link
MLue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #16
MLue1

Did some tracking on Sunday Evening at Calabogie (Ontario) near Ottawa, the Porterfield R4 front Brake pads held up very well.
http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/track/

Last edited by MLue1; 07-04-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: adding link
Old 07-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #17
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Did some tracking on Sunday Evening at Calabogie (Ontario) near Ottawa, the Porterfield R4 front Brake pads held up very well.
http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/track/
That track looks amazing. So many fun looking layouts.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #18
MLue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
That track looks amazing. So many fun looking layouts.
Yup, but seeing how hard the track is to learn I would prefer that it stays that way until I can learn it real good. There are a couple of corners that unless you pay attention to the land marks you can get confused.

I plan to drive COTA one of these days when I go see the F1.

Last edited by MLue1; 07-05-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: comment
Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #19
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLue1 View Post
Yup, but seeing how hard the track is to learn I would prefer that it stays that way until I can learn it real good. There are a couple of corners that unless you pay attention to the land marks you can get confused.

I plan to drive COTA one of these days when I go see the F1.
I just had a quick look. COTA used to be absurdly expensive, like $1000 for a day. It's still not cheap but I found an organization running for $545 for a five session day, which I guess isn't terrible.

If I were in the same general area as you I'd be on the lookout for an opportunity to get on Watkins Glen.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:06 AM   #20
MLue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
I just had a quick look. COTA used to be absurdly expensive, like $1000 for a day. It's still not cheap but I found an organization running for $545 for a five session day, which I guess isn't terrible.

If I were in the same general area as you I'd be on the lookout for an opportunity to get on Watkins Glen.
Good choice, I've driven the Glen three times in my vintage Porsche, the last time was maybe seven years ago, I actually like it better than Canadian Tire Motorsport Park aka Mosport.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #21
MLue1

Cool

I've been sick with the Flu for a week, my Son tells me the Golf is creaky, drove it this morning to work and sure enough the shock bushings are noisy, really never took notice. No big deal this is normal for track driven cars, stuff wear and loosen. So looks like we have to soon install the Koni Sports Struts/Shocks I had waiting in the wings with new mounts and bearings.

[Warning: RANT]
I prolly will do some other things like retorque the Subframe Bolts and lube the rear swaybar bushings. Alignment will be done when the struts and shocks are replaced. Bleed the brake fluid as we've been cooking 'em.

Still need to find some light wheels for those 16 inch Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires. 17s may feel or corner a bit better but without a turbo power I want the lowest unsprung weight possible, so coming from 15s we need to use light weight 16s. Always been a trade off debate between time gained cornering Vs accel/speed gain on the straights Vs cheap to replace when you kill 'em.

The Shanonville Track near Bellville has a $7/ lap special going on; torn between fixing the creaking/doing the maintenance and taking off for Shanonville.

Last edited by MLue1; 07-12-2017 at 11:05 AM. Reason: more RANT