GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 07-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #435
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
Just Clowning Around

One of my DeAutoKey fog light bulbs failed. 2/3 leds died and the harnesses are very corroded. I forgot to record when I installed them but it's been less than 15,000 mi with no winter driving at all. Not too impressed.

They warrantied the bulb I asked about and we will rebuild the harnesses so that they are properly weatherproofed etc. The resistor harness was not well made and the connectors between bulb and ballasts are 8pin connectors more suited to computers or interior devices than car applications. We will rebuild everything to be sturdier and properly weatherproof.

In the meantime we put the stock bulbs back in because I'll be busy for the next two weeks driving around. Should be a 3,000 mi road trip so it'll be kinda fun.

At the beginning of the month I hit 78,000 mi. By the end of this road trip I should be over 80,000. I'm at 78,500 or so right now.

Random photos since the car is buffed and cleaned in preparation for this trip. Including the annual application of rainX which I hate because it's so much work to buff off properly. At least the stuff works wondered

And one of a friend's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Clownish; 07-09-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Clownish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:57 PM   #436
Clownish
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: GTI
Just Clowning Around

Once a year Pikes Peak opens at 4:15 AM so that you can drive up to the summit and see the sun rise. This year 3 mk6s drove ~3000 mi round trip to witness / take some Colorado parks in.

Summit of Pikes Peak

We hit a bunch of towns and parks, including Boulder, Veil, Aspen, Manitoui Springs, Leadville, Colorado Springs, Breckinridge, Glenwood Springs, etc. Stopped at seven breweries also. Long drives, awesome views, cool hiking. All with 2 GTIs and a Golf R caravanning everywhere.

Gassing before driving up Pikes Peak

Garden of the Gods

The view of Pikes Peak from Garden of the Gods

The bathroom at Pikes Peak summit

Just outside Leadville

From the summit of Mt Evans - highest point you can drive to in the US @ 14,000 ft if I'm right. If not, it's still super high and the road was not great - hairpins, switch backs, narrow sheer drops with no run off. CraZy to drive up and we drove down in the dark so it was insane.

23 hours there and 23 back including stops. But continuously driving. Weird to be coming into town at 9am today.

Random rest stop in Iowa? Or Indiana. I don't remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk