GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 PM   #155
bmllr8
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
The twin clutch DKM sounds like it could be overkill. I was leaning towards the RSR because it would be quieter than the SB Stage 2, but ended up going withe SB unit as I was not comfortable leaving the dual mass flywheel in a car with 40k miles. Don't get me wrong, lots of people reuse the old dual mass flywheel, but I felt more comfortable with all new parts. Is the SB stage 2 louder than stock? Yes, but I really like the clutch feel. If you can find someone with a SB clutch it would be a good idea to listen to it as everyone has a different tolerance for noise.

Last edited by bmllr8; 04-27-2017 at 03:20 PM.
bmllr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #156
TSI_Guy
FIA Formula 1 Champion

Drives: C5 Z06
A twin disc is way overkill for the vast majority on this forum.....

RSR if you want the DMFW....if not, I'd recommend the Sachs SRE Stage 2 w/SMFW. The Sachs kit is an organic disc that has a really smooth engagement. I daily drove it in bumper to bumper traffic for a year or so with 0 complaints.

My car was K04 and never slipped once.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasauto0108 View Post
Personally, I love any meat in tube form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasauto0108 View Post
I love a good sausage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASVDUB View Post
It's not gay if it's a three-way
TSI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #157
Mlody91
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Manual DBP 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI_Guy View Post
A twin disc is way overkill for the vast majority on this forum.....

RSR if you want the DMFW....if not, I'd recommend the Sachs SRE Stage 2 w/SMFW. The Sachs kit is an organic disc that has a really smooth engagement. I daily drove it in bumper to bumper traffic for a year or so with 0 complaints.

My car was K04 and never slipped once.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
I've been eyeing the SRE clutch and RSR clutch for quite some time now, but I think I'm leaning more towards the SRE clutch....just haven't found a distributor with a fair enough price. $1,400 from emmanuelle designs plus some additional $ for the metal TOB is not exactly a pill I can justify swallowing.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #158
bmllr8

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
I did look at the SRE as well and agree that it would be a great option. I went SB simply because I could get it for less and the local independent VW shop that installed mine has a lot of happy customers running the SB Stage 2.
bmllr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #159
Joveen

Drives: 2011 GTI
DKM is organic as well.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #160
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: a racecar
Currently leaning towards spec stage 2 with the 16 pound flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123,
You should probably just respond with something about you fucking his daughter. He cant undo that with his fancy mustang can he?
TSI_mr.niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #161
Noodle
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 Gti Wolfsburg, 6-Speed, White
anyone have any long term info on the Black Forest Industries Clutch kit?

I got the Golden Noodle
Noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #162
adam.mk6.gti
Ready to race!

Drives: Mk6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
anyone have any long term info on the Black Forest Industries Clutch kit?
I have had the stage 2 kit in my GTI on APR stage 2 for the last 12 months. Initially, the pedal feels significantly more stiff then stock. Probably 50% harder. Engagement is great and have been enjoying the clutch 100%, little bit of gear lash and of course the rattle from the smf. The engagement is much more of/off even with the organic clutch plate but I imagine this with all upgraded clutch kits.

Had an issue lately where thrust bearing failed catastrophically and ended up with about 4-5mm end float on the crank, new motor exercise.. Not sure if its because of the stronger pressure plate, or I just got seriously unlucky. however, the stage 2 BFI kit is going into the new motor so will guess ill find out in due time. I do recommend the kit, however if I had my time again I would probably go RSR kit. For near stock feel and dmf along with resale benefit of not having a hard clutch to operate and pleanty of holding force if your staying stock turbo.
adam.mk6.gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #163
Noodle
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.mk6.gti View Post
I have had the stage 2 kit in my GTI on APR stage 2 for the last 12 months. Initially, the pedal feels significantly more stiff then stock. Probably 50% harder. Engagement is great and have been enjoying the clutch 100%, little bit of gear lash and of course the rattle from the smf. The engagement is much more of/off even with the organic clutch plate but I imagine this with all upgraded clutch kits.

Had an issue lately where thrust bearing failed catastrophically and ended up with about 4-5mm end float on the crank, new motor exercise.. Not sure if its because of the stronger pressure plate, or I just got seriously unlucky. however, the stage 2 BFI kit is going into the new motor so will guess ill find out in due time. I do recommend the kit, however if I had my time again I would probably go RSR kit. For near stock feel and dmf along with resale benefit of not having a hard clutch to operate and pleanty of holding force if your staying stock turbo.
Thrust Bearing? Wtf is that???? What did BFI say?? Im second guessing BFI now

I got the Golden Noodle
Old 07-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #164
TSI_mr.niceguy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: a racecar
Quote:

Throw out bearing...

And the problem with BFI is there are no decent reviews. Every one that exists is like "yeah bro had dis clutch fo 1200 miles yo its perfect no issues u should go 2 buy it right now" but no long term reviews. Like i don't give a shit if your clutch lasted a thousand miles. Congrats. And then they never follow up with how it held up long term. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123,
You should probably just respond with something about you fucking his daughter. He cant undo that with his fancy mustang can he?
TSI_mr.niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:23 PM   #165
Joveen

Drives: 2011 GTI
Gonna try the DKM clutch and see how to goes.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #166
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 2Dr GTI CSG Manual
Quote:
He likely is talking about a Thrust bearing, not a TOB. The thrust bearings are on the crankshaft to prevent the crank from moving around.

I think he is speculating that a stronger pressure plate could add wear to it, but there isn't anything to suggest that yet.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:57 PM   #167
Noodle
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthor703 View Post
He likely is talking about a Thrust bearing, not a TOB. The thrust bearings are on the crankshaft to prevent the crank from moving around.

I think he is speculating that a stronger pressure plate could add wear to it, but there isn't anything to suggest that yet.
What you think then? Go with BFI or no

I got the Golden Noodle
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #168
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 2Dr GTI CSG Manual
Quote:
What you think then? Go with BFI or no
I personally like to buy products from companies that specialize in the particular product (Stoptech/Brembo/APRacing for brakes, bilstein/koni/eibach for suspension,etc...). In this case, I chose Southbend. Been nothing but happy with mine. All the kinks of the old failures are worked out and I have yet to see an issue with them to date.

I have no evidence to say BFI isn't good, so I can't say don't do it. I wouldn't personally though, per the above train of thought.