GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #141
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
thanks man, maybe my obdeleven could help out

you coming out thursday?
Yeah I should be
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #142
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
Few small updates.

USP 'Coolflow' dsg filter housing

had to copy hyde16 for these:
Gold dei tape around intake to reflect heat
PTP Lavaflow downpipe wrap, had enough to also wrap around the hot side of the turbo best I could; see how it holds up lol
MAF air straightener

and and oil change

keep calm and mk6 on
Old 07-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #143
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

https://shopdap.com/store/tsi-timing...rvice-kit.html

Just placed an order for the timing chain tensioner kit. Don't want to wait anymore!

Going to have it done by GRD tuned in west chicago, and have them clean my valves (45k miles) while it's in there and do a boost leak test perhaps.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #144
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

few things on the agenda

got an 034 catch can setup, waiting for a chance to install

at the same time I'm hoping to redo all charge pipe connections as I keep hearing intermittent whistling noises upon boost which indicates a few minor leaks probably. I think this is true as whenever I'm under the car there's oil seeping out from a few connections.

While I'm doing all this I'm going to remove the intercooler and clean everything really well; putting together parts NOT soaked in oil for good! Can't wait haha.

Paired with nice clean valves i hope this car drives great for good! To combat the regrowth of carbon buildup I will likely be pulling the trigger on a snow stage 2 kit. I know, not the BEST system but I won't tune for it, just will enjoy the killer temp drops and reduced carbon build up. Boost looooves meth! Boost must have been invented in a trailer park.

QUESTION: Anyone know the general clamp sizes? 2.5" all around? smaller ones as well? Anything bigger? Gonna get some new SS clamps.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #145
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

More updates!

Raced Jay745 over the weekend - what was it, 50-120ish? It was a great race, we were both kinda back/forthing until his meth took over while I started heatsoaking then he had me by atleast a car by the end. Much excite!

Wound up cleaning my intercooler & fixing boost leaks. Not a fun ordeal by any means! The last owner of this car had kind of a janky setup holding everything in place; didn't go back together too well, and the radiator fan wound up cutting into my throttle pipe. Way fun, so I decided to buy an upgraded (aluminum) throttle pipe with a meth bung before the stock piece starts leaking.

Good way to remove the noise pipe & be one step closer to meth anyway, while eliminating a small choke point in the pipes as well.

Also, went to the track yesterday; only ran once but got:

13.9 @ 108 mph. No boost at launch, and it was about 95 degrees and super humid. All things considered, not too bad. I know with some practice and better weather this would be low 13's capable.

During the race however my lower belly pan gave out and cracked, dragging under the car LOL

Soo next up I just 'had to' order the upgraded belly pan which covers the whole bottom of the subframe area and has a turbo cooler scoop along with the trans cooler scoops. Will be better for aero as well as cooling.

Car is going into GRDtuned in west chi' today and they will be cleaning my valves and doing the timing chain tensioner this week! Fingers crossed that they don't find that I need a new chain due to stretch as well!
Old 07-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #146
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Real excited to get the car back maybe today! Will have fresh plugs and I'm really hoping it feels brand new with the carbon cleaning done

will install the BSH TB pipe soon as I get home as well haha
Old 07-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #147
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Got the car back last night @ ~46000 miles. Shop forgot to take before pictures unfortunately but the after shots look pretty nice and clean for the carbon cleaning. They did say it was 'pretty bad for 46000 miles'. Bae does run smoother now I gotta say!

Timing chain tensioner was done, and it was found that the top front cover was warped and leaking so we replaced that as well. So no more worries about all that... Unscientifically of course, the mechanic advised me that the chain didn't have 'excessive play'. Hard to know for sure without actually removing the chain and comparing to a new one so there you have it.

They did advise me that my mechatronics unit is likely on its way out, as you can hear the downshifts in most instances inidicating a pressure loss. It's supposed to be a very quiet and smooth operating unit but some downshifts feel a little unpleasant - i did suspect this to be the case early on so it was both relieving and disappointing to hear from the mechanic. They are assembling a quote to replacing that... which kinda makes me wish I just did that instead of the tensioner replacement lol.

Replacing the throttle pipe with the bsh one tonight.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #148
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
Got the car back last night @ ~46000 miles. Shop forgot to take before pictures unfortunately but the after shots look pretty nice and clean for the carbon cleaning. They did say it was 'pretty bad for 46000 miles'. Bae does run smoother now I gotta say!

Timing chain tensioner was done, and it was found that the top front cover was warped and leaking so we replaced that as well. So no more worries about all that... Unscientifically of course, the mechanic advised me that the chain didn't have 'excessive play'. Hard to know for sure without actually removing the chain and comparing to a new one so there you have it.

They did advise me that my mechatronics unit is likely on its way out, as you can hear the downshifts in most instances inidicating a pressure loss. It's supposed to be a very quiet and smooth operating unit but some downshifts feel a little unpleasant - i did suspect this to be the case early on so it was both relieving and disappointing to hear from the mechanic. They are assembling a quote to replacing that... which kinda makes me wish I just did that instead of the tensioner replacement lol.

Replacing the throttle pipe with the bsh one tonight.
Try flashing TCU back to stock and see if transmission is better, worse or the same.

But what do you mean by "hear the downshifts"?

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #149
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaber View Post
Try flashing TCU back to stock and see if transmission is better, worse or the same.

But what do you mean by "hear the downshifts"?

This. All this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #150
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

It's like you hear something akin of a clunk... a metallic clunk. i thought it could have been flywheel chatter. I often hear what sounds like the flywheel chattering when taking off from a stop or in reverse, and the noise is kind of like that, just short and more clunky.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #151
Jaber
Modero

Drives: 2013 GTI
Quote:
It's like you hear something akin of a clunk... a metallic clunk. i thought it could have been flywheel chatter. I often hear what sounds like the flywheel chattering when taking off from a stop or in reverse, and the noise is kind of like that, just short and more clunky.
Does the flywheel make any noise, while the car is in park and idling?

#TEAMMINIVAN - BBRT, Banana Bread Racing Team
Jaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #152
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

it does not, that's the thing... haha. just kind of get the crashing/chatter type noise when downshifting or starting off in drive/reverse from a stop
Old 07-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #153
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

meh... lots of ppl report the same shit and say it's normal too. Idk. gearbox seems to do what i needs to do without much hesitation so idk lol

the op in this thread described it pretty well that the nosie is kind of akin to the sound of your doorlocks.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37554
Old 08-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #154
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

cleaned some shit UP yesterday!

Got with my bud Carson and had to redo a few things...

Basically, the godspeed or off brand intercooler this car has fits like hammered dog shit. When I took it out the other week to clean it out and fix some boost leaks, it was alrady held in by prayers and zip ties. wtf.. did NOT go back together nicely.

As a result, the radiator fan started trimming into the throttle pipe and made a small hole.

Then the skid tray popped off.

As a result of that the wheel liner and bumper to wheel liner plastic trim piece gave out as well.

Then the radiator fan itself broke.

So we replaced all that shit, new fan, BSH throttle pipe, and the upgraded skid tray (with turbo cooling duct)

Everythings great now! Fitment is great after MUCH finangling and some ingenuity.

46k miles