GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
ForzaGTI
Autocross Champion
 
ForzaGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: MK6 2010 GTI CSG 6 SPEED
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fairfax City
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean@apr View Post
I wonder how these OWT (Old Wives Tales) still hang around. I can't vouch for every tuner, but they can't detect an APR tune returned to stock.
Sean,
When you say an APR tune returned to stock, you mean the ECU is flashed back with the VW factory tune? or the APR stock option that you do set from the cruise stick?

Thanks!
__________________
2010 GTI CSG 6MT | APR K04 | Carbonio | VWR Springs | GFB DV+ | APR FSB-RSB | VW Subframe Mount | UNIBRACE XB | EUROJET GEN 2 TBE | Neuspeed Rse52 18x8 ET45
ForzaGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
Mustache rash
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Mustache rash's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 K04 GTI 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean@apr View Post
I wonder how these OWT (Old Wives Tales) still hang around. I can't vouch for every tuner, but they can't detect an APR tune returned to stock.

There is a confusion between being flashed back to stock and stock load level programming here
__________________

2011 CSG GTI 6MT
APR K04 3.1
Build Thread
IG@mustache_rash
Mustache rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
sean@apr
 
Drives: Q7 TDI
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Opelika, AL
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaGTI View Post
Sean,
When you say an APR tune returned to stock, you mean the ECU is flashed back with the VW factory tune? or the APR stock option that you do set from the cruise stick?

Thanks!
Flashed back. I'm going to edit the post to be more clear.
sean@apr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
RGTI13
Formula 5000 Driver
 
Drives: 2013 D.E. DSG GTI
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean@apr View Post
The MAF measures the air that actually goes into the intake tract and fuels based on that. The boost request/actual system has 0 to do with fueling.

You can run a K04 on stock software and it will run mostly like a stock car. Spool will be a little late, but that's all. Shouldn't throw any codes or anything.
Thank you for this clarification.

OP, get the k04 and tune on the schedule that is most convenient to you... That fits your goals.

You don't need to worry about k04 + stock software, but you'll definitely not be having much fun.
RGTI13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #19
Sebastian24
FIA GT Newbie
 
Sebastian24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 4door GTI CSG
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean@apr View Post
The MAF measures the air that actually goes into the intake tract and fuels based on that. The boost request/actual system has 0 to do with fueling.

You can run a K04 on stock software and it will run mostly like a stock car. Spool will be a little late, but that's all. Shouldn't throw any codes or anything.
Interesting. So fueling compensates properly for the actual CFM that you get from the k04 on factory file? (not APR "stock" file) and fueling would be adequate for the boost level? I had a really hard time getting the k04 file on my ECU, and I was strongly advised against driving it unless I absolutely had to... (i was forced to since it's my only car) and my boost definitely did not peak at 11 psi either...
So if you get more air... and more fuel... you make more power right? then why bother with a tune? ( <--- joke obviously)
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or anything, I'm actually looking to understand this since it's a polar opposite from what I was told.
So you say you can safely drive the car with a k04, without issues, and i'm not talking just a couple of miles to the shop to get the tune on there...
If so, i apologize for the misinformation and I will edit it accordingly
Sebastian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #20
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver
 
SnailPower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,339
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave but I had a question related to this and didn't want to create a new one.

I'm about to pull the gun on an IE K04 kit. I'm currently Stg2 APR. Knowing I can run K04 on stock tune while staying out of boost mostly makes me believe I can do the same with Stg2 tune.

With that said, I imagine you can use any K04 hardware married to any K04 tune right? I'm probably going to stick with APR since I'm already Stg2 and they will charge me only an upgrade fee to go up from what I have so it makes sense. I just want to make sure I can do that.

Thanks.
__________________
Internal : APR Fully loaded Stage 2 tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille - Splash Guards (-5hp )
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #21
webbry4
Oval Newbie
 
webbry4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn IE Stage 2
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: UTAH
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPower View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave but I had a question related to this and didn't want to create a new one.



I'm about to pull the gun on an IE K04 kit. I'm currently Stg2 APR. Knowing I can run K04 on stock tune while staying out of boost mostly makes me believe I can do the same with Stg2 tune.



With that said, I imagine you can use any K04 hardware married to any K04 tune right? I'm probably going to stick with APR since I'm already Stg2 and they will charge me only an upgrade fee to go up from what I have so it makes sense. I just want to make sure I can do that.



Thanks.


Yes you can do that. Too bad you're not in Utah. Locals get 15% off all IE product.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
webbry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #22
FriggenT
Formula 5000 Champion
 
Drives: 2013 Wolfsburg gti DSG
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPower View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave but I had a question related to this and didn't want to create a new one.

I'm about to pull the gun on an IE K04 kit. I'm currently Stg2 APR. Knowing I can run K04 on stock tune while staying out of boost mostly makes me believe I can do the same with Stg2 tune.

With that said, I imagine you can use any K04 hardware married to any K04 tune right? I'm probably going to stick with APR since I'm already Stg2 and they will charge me only an upgrade fee to go up from what I have so it makes sense. I just want to make sure I can do that.

Thanks.
Isn't IE k04 kit just a cts kit? Contact cts and ask them for a special price.
FriggenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #23
brobst
Formula 5000 Driver
 
brobst's Avatar
 
Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,955
Dont run stg2 map on k04

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
__________________
K04 P&P | 325whp/325wtq | Beyond Superior Interior | Brobst's Build | Data logs
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGTI View Post
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #24
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver
 
SnailPower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
Dont run stg2 map on k04

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Please discuss? I mean, I don't plan to, but I don't think I'm going to get the K04 tune immediately installed after getting the hardware installed.

The shop I'm going to for installation doesn't do APR so I will have to schedule another day for the APR tune at the other shop...
__________________
Internal : APR Fully loaded Stage 2 tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille - Splash Guards (-5hp )
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #25
webbry4
Oval Newbie
 
webbry4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn IE Stage 2
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: UTAH
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriggenT View Post
Isn't IE k04 kit just a cts kit? Contact cts and ask them for a special price.


Slightly different but k04 is k04 lol and I would assume you can run it as long as you don't get into high boost but brobst will be much more knowledgeable than I will


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
webbry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #26
brobst
Formula 5000 Driver
 
brobst's Avatar
 
Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailPower View Post
Please discuss? I mean, I don't plan to, but I don't think I'm going to get the K04 tune immediately installed after getting the hardware installed.

The shop I'm going to for installation doesn't do APR so I will have to schedule another day for the APR tune at the other shop...
I'm pretty sure my tuner told me not to do that. The ihi and k04 are different. If you try and put the tuned ihi parameters on the k04, you will probably have poor ride quality. Its best to run on stock tune.
Things like to wgdc and boost requests wont make sense to the turbo. Analogy is like trying to go 80mph in second gear


Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
__________________
K04 P&P | 325whp/325wtq | Beyond Superior Interior | Brobst's Build | Data logs
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGTI View Post
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:06 PM   #27
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver
 
SnailPower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
I'm pretty sure my tuner told me not to do that. The ihi and k04 are different. If you try and put the tuned ihi parameters on the k04, you will probably have poor ride quality. Its best to run on stock tune.
Things like to wgdc and boost requests wont make sense to the turbo. Analogy is like trying to go 80mph in second gear


Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Gotcha. Well I think putting it back to stock shouldn't be a problem except that my stupid APR passkey doesn't work that was given to me at the tuner shop. lol. I'll figure something out.
__________________
Internal : APR Fully loaded Stage 2 tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille - Splash Guards (-5hp )
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.