GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 06-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #57
DUTCHswift
Oval Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
So I've had this in the works for quite some time and wasn't sure if it was actually going to happen, but then it finally did...

If you get a chance, read the full feature on my Golf R here:

LESS IS MORE // BRIAN JENSEN’S FITTED MK6 R.

DUTCHswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #58
DUTCHswift
Oval Champion

Machined .150" off the barrels on my buddy's Bridgeport so I won't rub through my shocks in the rear. The wheels are all apart right now so they can get a full clean and re-polish before I coat them all with Adam's Polish's Ceramic Wheel Coating. I'm hoping this will prevent the need to constantly re-polish the lips during the season and that it'll make cleaning them a whole lot easier too.

----

----

Old 06-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #59
DUTCHswift
Oval Champion

No pictures, but last night I worked on the wheels some more. I sanded down the machined surfaces and sharp edges on 3/4 wheels and also got the pesky old wheel weight gum off the barrels. I have a little less than a month left until these need to be back on the car so I'm trying to utilize all the time that I have. Next on the list is finishing the last barrel, re-sanding/buffing/polishing all the lips, and then finally a degreaser cleaning to prep them for ceramic coating.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #60
DUTCHswift
Oval Champion

This weekend I sanded all the lips back down to 3k grit and re-polished them twice. I'll have to take a picture of them before I move on with what's next. Speaking of that, my Adam's Polish Ceramic Coating came in on Friday so the next step will be to wipe everything down with a degreaser to make sure it's spotless, and then I'll be coating the barrels, centercaps, centers, and lips in that order. Kinda nervous about the coating. I'm hoping all that polishing work won't have to get redone if I mess up the coating. The hope is that I'll start with the less seen or harder to notice components first so I can get some practice before I move onto the lips.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #61
DUTCHswift
Oval Champion

I read through some forum posts and other locations and people seemed to have success with it.

EDIT: Forum Post #34 on Pg. 2 of Adam's Polishes Website and also from their website:

"Adam's Polishes Ceramic Wheel Coating is an extremely durable 9H ceramic wheel coating designed to protect wheels from harsh brake dust and make clean-up even easier! Use it on most wheel finishes including paint, powder coat, chrome, and polished aluminum to help maintain shine longer. This coating may add undesirable amounts of gloss to matte and satin finish wheels."

Old 06-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #62
DUTCHswift
Oval Champion

Got everything ceramic coated finally and let everything cure for 48hrs. Yesterday during the big snowstorm we got, I sprayed everything down with the provided ceramic boost and dry fit all the components together. I was also able to get two of them fully bolted and torqued and that's where I stopped for the day. I was going to do a video showing how hydrophobic the surface is but I didn't want to worry about effecting the thread lock with water while it set up. I'll make a video the next time I go to bolt the remaining two wheels together.

----

Old 06-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #63
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
nice car! dig that splitter and the custom fab work.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #64
DUTCHswift
Oval Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
nice car! dig that splitter and the custom fab work.
Thanks man I appreciate that.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #65
DUTCHswift
Oval Champion

Worked on a template for Side Skirt Splitters to match the front Splitter this weekend. Sags a little in the picture but only because I didn't have all the fasteners in and it'll be made of 3/8" thick HDPE.

Can't wait to get these on my R.

Last edited by DUTCHswift; 08-24-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #66
DUTCHswift
Oval Champion

Test fit the new prototype Side Skirt Splitter on the Golf R yesterday. It needs a little tweaking but it will compliment the front Splitter really well IMO.