GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My R was broken into last night, no forced entry or alarm

ehirst83

I went out to my car this morning to go to work and noticed that my door was unlocked. When I opened the door I saw all of the contents of my glove box and center console spread out over the front seats and my golf bag that was in the back had been gone through and emptied as well. It doesn't look like anything was taken, which is weird, and it was the same case with my girlfriend's 2010 Nissan Rogue. What's so weird is I thought that if you locked the car with the remote or by touching the door handle, then unlocked it manually with a key (or probably a slim jim in this case), that the alarm would go off. Is this not case? Also, every other time I've unlocked it without starting it within a minute or so, it automatically re-locks, which did not happen this time either. Can anyone shed some light on this? What's the point of an alarm if doesn't go off when the car is broken into?

Uberryan

Banned
If it's locked and the doors are opened, the alarm goes off. Maybe you left it unlocked, or they had some way of remotely unlocking it.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Is this not case? Also, every other time I've unlocked it without starting it within a minute or so, it automatically re-locks, which did not happen this time either. Can anyone shed some light on this? What's the point of an alarm if doesn't go off when the car is broken into?
im not sure about the rest but to this part i have an answer.

If you unlock the car and do not open a door after ~45 seconds it will relock.
If you open the driver or passenger door it will not relock unless you hit the keyfob again, it will relock if only the trunk/hatch door is opened and shut (by only using the hatch button and not the unlock button).

Also are you sure you locked your cars? I am pretty vigilant and even i have come out in the morning to see my car was still unlocked.. we sometimes get busy carrying things in that we forget etc.

Its a good thing nothing was stolen,
maybe your girlfriend did it and then did it to her car to make it look like you both got hit, you been loyal?

ehirst83

So the story has gotten a little more interesting, come to find out, my girlfriend had my spare key fob in her car's center console. That explains why no alarm went off when they opened my car after breaking into hers. So now some thief has a spare key to my car and can open / steal it anytime they want. Is there any way to have the dealer reprogram the key fob I have so that the spare will no longer work?

Jaber

Modero
So the story has gotten a little more interesting, come to find out, my girlfriend had my spare key fob in her car's center console. That explains why no alarm went off when they opened my car after breaking into hers. So now some thief has a spare key to my car and can open / steal it anytime they want. Is there any way to have the dealer reprogram the key fob I have so that the spare will no longer work?

Do you have kessy? (keyless)

In either case, they'll still be able to open the door, with the physical key. If you want to be 100% safe, you'll have to get the locks changed out and keyfob reprogrammed.

zrickety

The Fixer
DOH! I would have the dealer make it so only your one fob works, then consider disconnecting the linkage for the key lock if you're worried about it. Lucky they didn't just take the whole car already.