GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Mk6 vs......

Old 04-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #15
zef
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
I guess I'm lucky haha, I used the scissor jack for 3-4 months before I eventually needed more height (I of course lowered it onto a jackstand after I raised it).
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/APR DSG Tune | APR Clutch Packs | WAVETRAC LSD | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #16
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
not that i prefer using it, but i actually think it's an okay jack? lol. It's pretty easy and effortless to use and puts the car up enough to change a wheel or something if needed. I don't believe it's going to just collapse under it's own pressure or something, I really can't see VW putting themselves at such a liabiity.

The only thing i can see happening is the car moving and making it topple over on a slope or something, since it doesn't have too much outward or side to side support/legs.

As with any jack, I prefer not to get under a car unless I have stands.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #17
zef
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
Yeah I definitely would not want to shake the car at all. There was one time it did wobble a little because I forgot to put the ebrake on. That was a little scary... but assuming flat solid surface I never had an issue
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/APR DSG Tune | APR Clutch Packs | WAVETRAC LSD | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:16 AM   #18
TimS
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '12 Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceburner View Post
not that i prefer using it, but i actually think it's an okay jack? lol. It's pretty easy and effortless to use and puts the car up enough to change a wheel or something if needed. I don't believe it's going to just collapse under it's own pressure or something, I really can't see VW putting themselves at such a liabiity.
Yeah, exactly. It's designed to be compact and to get a wheel off the ground on the side of the road. It's perfectly competent at that.

Quote:
As with any jack, I prefer not to get under a car unless I have stands.
Never ever ever put any part of you under a car that's only supported by a jack. Ever.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #19
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
i dont. maybe i didn't word that correct. haha
Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #20
elcroato
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 VW GTI, 2000 Skoda Octavia1.8T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Yeah, exactly. It's designed to be compact and to get a wheel off the ground on the side of the road. It's perfectly competent at that.

Never ever ever put any part of you under a car that's only supported by a jack. Ever.
I wouldn't agree. Mine failed when the threaded portion began to give out, causing the car to fall. I was lucky to have another widow maker close by in my old mk4. I then supported the car before it touched down and I finished swapping wheels. Too be fair I had used it more than a few times, so the metal was probably fatigued.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #21
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf33 View Post
I thought this was going to be scariest car jack(ing) in history. Im so disappointed. Not that I want to see that happen to you or anyone on here but its interesting to see or read about
Rofl same.

With that said, I've never used it since buying the car, however heard plenty of stories.

I also agree that VW wouldn't provide a jack that is that bad. If you are getting hurt using it, it's moreso because you are using it for NOT what it's designed for. I'm sure they had only tire changes in mind and at that, it shouldn't be all that dangerous since you don't need to get under the car.

Now if you are using that jack and getting under the car, I think that's more at your own risk and the reason it's known as the widowmaker, lol.
Internal : APR Fully loaded Stage 2 tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille - Splash Guards (-5hp )
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #22
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
Oh man, I had to share this pic also, hilarious
Internal : APR Fully loaded Stage 2 tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille - Splash Guards (-5hp )
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote