GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #127
George11
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: VW GTI 2011
A lot of big changes coming for 2017, wilwood bbk, lower control arms, track dedicated wheels are on my list.

Since December I have changed to Akebono Euro Ceramic on 4 corners with stoptech slotted front rotors, pagid blanks on the rear, squeal free. Have a set of brembo blanks for the track with hawk hps pads that squeal like crazy on street. Also I have had a set of BFgoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2's which wear strange because of the tread pattern on the outside of the tire and made a lot of road noise. After those ran a set of Cooper RS3-S which are just as inexpensive with low traction compared to Michelin PSS. Honestly the Michelin PSS are dirt cheap right now so I will probably pick up a set after I run through the Coopers.

I have learned a lot with tracking the car. Definitely bring tools to the track, torque your wheels after each session, and bleed your brakes often if you feel a spongee pedal.

I thought the porsche brakes could be enough for the track but I am skeptical. So I'm going to upgrade to the Wilwood, the price point is great compared to the Brembo and Stoptech. Especially on maintenance parts of rotors and pads.

Finally installed a rear sway bar from Neuspeed! Went for the 28mm race rear sway bar with two settings.

Last edited by George11; 03-26-2017 at 10:25 PM.
George11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #128
George11

Since I had my front sway bar installed I have had issues, first the endlink came loose off the shock mount. Also there was a noticeable clunk noise which has been chronic. Finally this week I discovered that clunk was the drivers side sway bar bolts came loose. Fortunately I was able to catch this at my driveway so I did not loose the u clamp or its base. The annoying part was getting the replacement bolts which for a GTI Mk6 front sway bar is N91073401 considered a GTI front stabilizer bolt.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 AM   #129
George11

Quick share of my times at Buttonwillow from this weekend.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #130
George11

Quick share of one of the sessions at from my last track weekend, wish I taped more but was focused on driving and the car that I let the gopro run low on power. https://youtu.be/bTpqqS_rmLw

Old 06-16-2017, 02:02 AM   #131
Mayseffect

Drives: MKV R32
You may have mentioned this already, but are the specs for your wheels and tires currently?

Thanks.
Mayseffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:01 PM   #132
George11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayseffect View Post
You may have mentioned this already, but are the specs for your wheels and tires currently?

Thanks.
Advan RS 17x8 5x112, 17 lbs each. Most recent set of tires now are Falken Azenis RT615K+ they preformed really on the track. No issues with traction control on corners for a stage 2 car on track when warmed up.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #133
George11

I have been thinking for at least 3 months about selling my car and after all that time I have decided not to because of these 3 reasons, my car is paid off, I know my car well since I bought it new and the RWD cars (BRZ, E46 M3, C6 Corvette) I am interested in are overpriced or will require a lot of work from when I have been searching. Anyone else spend over an hour just looking at used cars or is that just me?

So with keeping the car I finally got some much needed upgrades, after a quick torque down of all that was loose on my car. With guidance for Pacific German I had new SuperPro lower control arms and 034 motorsport motor & trans mounts added. I decided to try out to Pacific German in Laguna Hills because of their involvement in the local vw car community. What a great shop, the small touches gave me piece of mind, such as their ability to keep me in the loop with emails and texts.

The car outside of a K04 swap and track wheels is where I like it, just minor things to tweak such as my front endlinks always loosening, a baffled oil pan for the track and a rattle in my exhaust at warm up.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #134
sauceman101

Drives: 2010 UG GTI 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by George11 View Post
I have been thinking for at least 3 months about selling my car and after all that time I have decided not to because of these 3 reasons, my car is paid off, I know my car well since I bought it new and the RWD cars (BRZ, E46 M3, C6 Corvette) I am interested in are overpriced or will require a lot of work from when I have been searching. Anyone else spend over an hour just looking at used cars or is that just me?

So with keeping the car I finally got some much needed upgrades, after a quick torque down of all that was loose on my car. With guidance for Pacific German I had new SuperPro lower control arms and 034 motorsport motor & trans mounts added. I decided to try out to Pacific German in Laguna Hills because of their involvement in the local vw car community. What a great shop, the small touches gave me piece of mind, such as their ability to keep me in the loop with emails and texts.

The car outside of a K04 swap and track wheels is where I like it, just minor things to tweak such as my front endlinks always loosening, a baffled oil pan for the track and a rattle in my exhaust at warm up.
no intent of getting rid of the GTI, also have a street bike, ford ranger and 65 mustang, but I look at replacements for the GTI for a few hours a week, some day I'll find an S2k, e46 or 03-04 cobra to take it's spot in the garage or sit next to it.

K04 or BT for the GTI either way this winter I think
2010 UG GTI 6MT: Peloquin LSD, APR Stage 1, DIY RSR Clutch, VWR Streetsport+ Coils, IE Camber Plates, 034M Front End Links, Hotchkis RSB, APR Stage 1+2 Carbino Intake, HPA Red Subframe Puck, Enkei PF01s wrapped w/ Star Spec 2s, AWE DP, [i] Magnaflow CBE, BIG things coming if you catch the drift
sauceman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #135
George11

Had a little fun this weekend with changing out my endlinks from 034 Motorsport to Whiteline. The end links since they were installed were a pain, with the top heim joint bolt coming loose, the shop used a random bolt as seen in the second picture. Since the day I put the new front sway bar and endlinks on the car it was clunking due to the endl inks always loosening up. After talking to some locals I was recommended to go with Whiteline's endlinks.

Picture of my newly installed 034 motorsport end links first failure

The nut kept spinning, I tried to cut the end so I could hold it with plyers but I could not gain enough leverage. 3 dremel discs later, I had the nut off.

Comparison shot of the two brands of endlinks.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:21 AM   #136
George11

Finally got some dedicated track wheels, they meet all my criteria of no spacers, no hub centric rings (factory bore size), light weight, cheap to replace if I have something go wrong. Now to figure out what to run as a cheap road tire for my daily set that won't wear out quickly but grip that might be harder to find.

Here is a quick picture of the wheels, Neuspeed 17x8 RSE05's
Old 09-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #137
George11

This weekend I cleaned my wheels. I first did a light soap wash followed with removing all old wheel weight glue with plastic razor blades and goo gone. Then wiped the wheels down with a mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol. After work I plan on buying a wheel protectant to coat the wheels with.

With multiple stages of cleaning I was able to get the brake dust I built up from track day pads and regular driving from all the nooks. Hopefully with the steps I have done they will be easier to maintain.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk