GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #15
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: mk6 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMacMK6 View Post
unless it has changed from when i looked, COBB does not support a different intake than a COBB one. Main reason I went with Unitronic stage 1 because I have a different cold air intake.
If you buy a cobb ap you should be buying it from stratified and their tune will be way better than the cobb tunes. Stratified even offers a free maf calibration, so any intake will run at its best. You need a place where you can take logs though.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:03 AM   #16
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
Quote:
unless it has changed from when i looked, COBB does not support a different intake than a COBB one. Main reason I went with Unitronic stage 1 because I have a different cold air intake.
well you would be wrong. They offer stock maf maps direct from cobb.

Plus as stated above if you buy cobb you should go through stratified or another pro-dealer and get one of their flash tunes along with it. We recommend stratified because we all have them and if you buy the cobb AP from them they will give you their flash tune at no charge right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
MattyMacMK6
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 Golf GTI
oh okay. I just remember asking COBB if their tune would work with my intake and they told me no. So, thank you for the correcting me and them I guess haha. I mean for me it doesn't matter now because I went a different, but I appreciate the info
Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #18
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
oh okay. I just remember asking COBB if their tune would work with my intake and they told me no. So, thank you for the correcting me and them I guess haha. I mean for me it doesn't matter now because I went a different, but I appreciate the info
it used to not. When did you ask them this question? They released stock maf maps maybe 6 months ago.
Quote:
Quote:
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #19
JayJayTheJetPlane
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2013 CSG DSG Autobahn GTI
I'm still torn on which tuning way to proceed...I'm not a fan of the whole
Cobb cai/apr carbino closed off look, I'd prefer an open intake and cts is having a sale...now when it comes to tuning a friend of mine went unitronic stage 2 with no dsg tune and he blew his trasmission out, I'm afriad of going cobb and getting a stage 2 flash since I see they dont have any dsg tunes, is it safer for a dsg gti to just get a uni/apr tune and a dsg tune? Ir if anyone can shed more light as to how the cobb/strafied flash wont negatively affect my dsg that could help my worried mind (as i also dont have the most knowledge when it comes to tuning, just starting to look/learn about it now
JayJayTheJetPlane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #20
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayTheJetPlane View Post
I'm still torn on which tuning way to proceed...I'm not a fan of the whole
Cobb cai/apr carbino closed off look, I'd prefer an open intake and cts is having a sale...now when it comes to tuning a friend of mine went unitronic stage 2 with no dsg tune and he blew his trasmission out, I'm afriad of going cobb and getting a stage 2 flash since I see they dont have any dsg tunes, is it safer for a dsg gti to just get a uni/apr tune and a dsg tune? Ir if anyone can shed more light as to how the cobb/strafied flash wont negatively affect my dsg that could help my worried mind (as i also dont have the most knowledge when it comes to tuning, just starting to look/learn about it now
DSG is generally safe for anything bellow a k04. Its odd your friends transmission blew on stage 2 tune. I have not seen that happen before.

Im currently COBB stratified flash tune(equivalent of stage 2) with no DSG tune and i have no problems so far.. i have put probably 2k miles since my tune. (i dont drive much so thats roughly 4-5 months of driving for me. Also i use the CTS intake with my stratified tune.

You can get a cobb accessport and stratified tune and then choose a "low torque" file if you are that worried about the transmission. You wont get as much power but you will be "safer".

You dont need a DSG tune. Most DSG tunes(APR,Unitronic,etc large name brands) do not adjust clamping pressure they just adjust when it shifts so a dsg tune wont make your DSG safer. I suppose if you wanted to go the safest you could buy the APR clutch back and get upgraded DSG clutch discs throughout. I think those are rated at like 500hp. That being said your friend with the blown transmission is still in the minority for a stage 2 tune.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #21
Laimface
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '09 Candy White GTi 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
DSG is generally safe for anything bellow a k04. Its odd your friends transmission blew on stage 2 tune. I have not seen that happen before.

Im currently COBB stratified flash tune(equivalent of stage 2) with no DSG tune and i have no problems so far.. i have put probably 2k miles since my tune. (i dont drive much so thats roughly 4-5 months of driving for me. Also i use the CTS intake with my stratified tune.

You can get a cobb accessport and stratified tune and then choose a "low torque" file if you are that worried about the transmission. You wont get as much power but you will be "safer".

You dont need a DSG tune. Most DSG tunes(APR,Unitronic,etc large name brands) do not adjust clamping pressure they just adjust when it shifts so a dsg tune wont make your DSG safer. I suppose if you wanted to go the safest you could buy the APR clutch back and get upgraded DSG clutch discs throughout. I think those are rated at like 500hp. That being said your friend with the blown transmission is still in the minority for a stage 2 tune.
Yeah very rare for a DSG box to shit its guts. It's usually the mechatronics unit that fails. A friend who's a VW dealer tech has replaced more mech units than anything else on DSG boxes. Also timing chain tensioners lol.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #22
zef
Oval Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
I know the DSG isn't "required" but a high quality DSG tune (HPA or APR) turns the transmission into an entirely different animal. It doesn't just raise the torque limit...the whole behavior of the trans is altered (in D, S and Manual mode). It makes the stock DSG look like a slushbox in comparison.
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/HPA DSG Tune | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #23
JayJayTheJetPlane
Drag Racing Champion

Thanks for all the information and clarification guys, this helped clear my worries lol...what I'll endup doing is going cobb/strat tune, get the bonus of having an AP and a tune specified for what I have on my car at the time...eventually I might then just look into a dsg tune to add on and retuned etc etc down the line
Old 09-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #24
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayTheJetPlane View Post
Thanks for all the information and clarification guys, this helped clear my worries lol...what I'll endup doing is going cobb/strat tune, get the bonus of having an AP and a tune specified for what I have on my car at the time...eventually I might then just look into a dsg tune to add on and retuned etc etc down the line
yeah. supposedly cobb is in the idea of working on DSG tunes so if you want to hold out they may be offering those in the future if not just get any DSG tune you want they do not need to be paired with the same companies ECU tune.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #25
JayJayTheJetPlane
Drag Racing Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilonespaz View Post
yeah. supposedly cobb is in the idea of working on DSG tunes so if you want to hold out they may be offering those in the future if not just get any DSG tune you want they do not need to be paired with the same companies ECU tune.
Right, that is exactly what I'm going to do...if cobb happens to make a dsg tune by the time I'm ready for it then bam perfect! If not ill just look elsewhere and get it from another company, again thanks for the info and clarifying lilonespaz