GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil in inlet pipe. Extremely thirsty engine

DV1DER

Hey guys,

I'm in need of some technical advice.
I recently bought an mk6 1.4 TSI 160hp with 100.000km's on the clock.
Car's from 2009 engine code CAVD.
Although 160 horses sounds nice in a Golf, I knew there are some technical issues with the model. First week I've had it I needed to replace the timing chain.

Everything seemed fine until I noticed the engine would hesitate at some point revving it. When it happens its always around 4000~5000 rpm. Thought faulty spark plugs. New ones didn't help.
Car started to use a LOT of oil: 1,5l/2l in 1000km...
Later that week I noticed an oil stain on the driveway.
My local mechanic checked the engine for me. Showed me what was happening.

Oil leaking in the inlet pipe from engine to the airbox. Spats of oil in the airbox. So much oil in the pipe it was leaking out on the rest of the engine until it hits the floor.

What could be the problem? Could anybody help me out? Any advice?
It's going to cost me money just to figure out what the problem is, and my mechanic was talking about a whole new engine...
I don't want to spend a lot of money trying to figure out what's going on with a (perhaps) completely broken engine...

Thanks!

Last edited:

italiansanto

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

I'm in need of some technical advice.
I recently bought an mk6 1.4 TSI 160hp with 100.000km's on the clock.
Car's from 2009 engine code CAVD.
Although 160 horses sounds nice in a Golf, I knew there are some technical issues with the model. First week I've had it I needed to replace the timing chain.

Everything seemed fine until I noticed the engine would hesitate at some point revving it. When it happens its always around 4000~5000 rpm. Thought faulty spark plugs. New ones didn't help.
Car started to use a LOT of oil: 1,5l/2l in 1000km...
Later that week I noticed an oil stain on the driveway.
My local mechanic checked the engine for me. Showed me what was happening.

Oil leaking in the inlet pipe from engine to the airbox. Spats of oil in the airbox. So much oil in the pipe it was leaking out on the rest of the engine until it hits the floor.

What could be the problem? Could anybody help me out? Any advice?
It's going to cost me money just to figure out what the problem is, and my mechanic was talking about a whole new engine...
I don't want to spend a lot of money trying to figure out what's going on with a (perhaps) completely broken engine...

Thanks!

Hey,

I also replaced my timing chain and tensioner last year. That appears to be an on-going issue with VWs. After replacing the timing chain and tensioner, my GTI also consumed a ton of oil. I guess that's pretty common for most people, as it was for me. Add oil to your car and if your car eats through it again than that's an issue that requires serious attention. Hope this helps!

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Hey,

I also replaced my timing chain and tensioner last year. That appears to be an on-going issue with VWs. After replacing the timing chain and tensioner, my GTI also consumed a ton of oil. I guess that's pretty common for most people, as it was for me. Add oil to your car and if your car eats through it again than that's an issue that requires serious attention. Hope this helps!

Does the 1.4 also have PCV issues? Could be a good place to start.