GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2014 GTI Wolfs CSG 4DR MT
K04 Installed - Wooing sound over 2k RPM?

Hey guys,
Just had my K04 installed 3 days ago and since then, immediately as I drove it out the shop the car had this newly wooing sound over 2k rpmish but goes away when off the accelerator. Is that normal with a K04? Specifically I'm on Integrated Engineering, using APR K04 file. Believe it is 3.1.

Now, if the sound is normal, that's fine, but I want to make sure I'm not leaking pressure/air out of anywhere. I can't believe it's the intake either but it is possible. I'm just not familiar with this sound so much and I'm pretty used to the intake before. I can't imagine it got louder or that this is even it...

Anyone else know what I'm talking about when immediately driving off in K04?
Internal : APR Fully loaded Stage 2 tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille - Splash Guards (-5hp )
SnailPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:30 PM   #2
SC_MK6
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 csg gti autobahn
My intake noise definitely got louder after I went k04 but I wouldn't rule out a boost leak just yet though. Whats your boost gauge look like? Are you holding boost just fine?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
SC_MK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:07 AM   #3
brobst
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Do you have charge pipes?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

I didn't change any pipes. I haven't tested well if I'm holding boost because I've mostly stayed out of it as I got a new clutch disc installed and can't push it for at least 500 miles.

Honestly the sound appears to come from the left side/drivers side of the engine where the intake filter sits, but I'm not positive.
Internal : APR Fully loaded Stage 2 tune - Soundaktor Delete - Diesel Geek Sigma 6 Short Shifter - R8 Coils - ECS Dogbone Mount Insert - GFB DV+ - NGP Type I Coilovers - KMD Tuning Front Stress Bar - WhiteLine Endlinks - IE CAI - EuroJet DP - Magna Flow Exhaust
External : H8 Pure Yellow Fog Bulbs - 20% All Around Tints - ECS JOM Euro Style Badgeless Grille - Splash Guards (-5hp )
Old 09-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
brobst
Formula 5000 Driver

I am leaning on the side of turbo noises here. If it sounds like sucking its the intake. If it sounds like a whistle or psssssssss its the turbo. You can actually hear the turbo well at the k04 level. Its pretty cool

Old 09-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #6
Chris659
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 12 Beetle Turbo
I remember experiencing several new sounds after I went k04. You no longer have a muffler on the turbo so you will hear more than before.

Could you have someone rev and hold the Rpms while you listen under the hood? This way you could try to pinpoint what side the noise is coming from. If it's starting at 2k and it sounds like it's from the driver side, then more than likely that's just the intake.
Chris659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #7
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 09 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris659 View Post
I remember experiencing several new sounds after I went k04. You no longer have a muffler on the turbo so you will hear more than before.

Could you have someone rev and hold the Rpms while you listen under the hood? This way you could try to pinpoint what side the noise is coming from. If it's starting at 2k and it sounds like it's from the driver side, then more than likely that's just the intake.
no load on the engine tho when your just revving it in neutral
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Chris659
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 12 Beetle Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
no load on the engine tho when your just revving it in neutral
Ah true
Chris659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:03 AM   #9
SC_MK6
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2012 csg gti autobahn
Pressure test your charge system. Easy to do and can make a boost leak tester for cheap. Only way to know for sure if you have a boost leak.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
SC_MK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:49 AM   #10
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

I'm probably over thinking it and it's probably just new sounds as others have mentioned. I can't see how the shop that did the install didn't drive it and immediately notice it. It's impossible. It kicks in to gear nearly as soon as driving off. Zero boost required, lol.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:20 AM   #11
brobst
Formula 5000 Driver

Turbo is always spinning the turbine

Old 09-24-2017, 03:29 AM   #12
SnailPower
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
Turbo is always spinning the turbine

That was my thought but I'm like, is that tiny turbine really causing all the noise? I looked at the K04 and compared it to my stock SRT4 turbo and was like, no way this little thing outputs that much power, lol.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
Does your car have whistle tips installed? They make that WOOOO WOOOOOO.

I'm sorry, I'm so ashamed of myself.... I'll go now.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #14
adema69
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
k04 will be louder than stock turbo. Stock ihi has a muffler on the turbo itself and the k04 does not. If the car is boosting correctly and no error codes I would not worry to much about it.
adema69 is offline   Reply With Quote