GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 09-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #295
07stuntin6r
Rally Car Champion

Drives:
Looks clean!
07stuntin6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #296
Rascal
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashchuckton View Post
Picked up my GTI on Friday with a new BG water pump installed. Drove home about 15 miles or so & pop the hood. Low on coolant & someone left a 1/2" drive ratchet on the pan under the engine??? It appeared to be rubbing on the crank pulley. Not good.

Called the service writer & went back over. I asked that the original tech not touch my car. The shop foreman took my car & I right back put it on the lift & inspected for damage done by the lost ratchet. No damage, but a pressure test of the cooling system did show my car was still leaking coolant.

I talked with the foreman & asked him about the tech who had worked on my car. When asked why the guy left a cheap Harbor Freight ratchet instead of a quality one the truth came out. This guy was not an A tech I was told. Then why was he working on my car? Added to the info about me & my GTI is the notation that only A techs will do the work from now on.

They gave me a loaner & said it would be done in the morning. Normally I would never let the dealer wash my car, but I was told their high end detail guy would wash my car. He does the Lambo, Ferrari's & Aston's so I said OK. Later the service writer called me & said one of the o-ring seals had been torn during installation. New seals were installed & all was good.

After a nice drive in the country in the loaner my wife & I stopped in to pick up my GTI. Really glad to get out of the loaner. A Passat with all the bells & whistles to me a German Camry. Holy cow my GTI looks like new. Washed inside out & waxed to boot. I was told the tech who screwed up is not employed their anymore. Turns this wasn't his only screw up, but certainly the last one there.

I know some folks would bitch their heads off about this screw up. Sometimes stuff happens. How they handled it was says what a great shop they really are. I'll use them again. For me a happy ending.

mmmm....bologna sandwich
Stage II MKVI GTI : 2010 : 2DR : MT : Deep Black Metallic : Carbonio Intake : Neuspeed Turbo Pipes : Neuspeed FMIC : OEM Short Shifter : VMR 710 Gunmetal Wheels : Michelin Pilot SS : Milltek Turboback : HS Tuning RSR Clutch : Tinted OEM LED Tails : Other Minor Stuff:
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #297
Blindeye_03
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2014 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingdub View Post
definitely don't need to remove the intake manifold to replace the water pump, but for $261 that's a pretty killer price for carbon cleaning.
When I had my pump replaced I went to my car to get a bag and the service advisor was pointing out the parts that were removed to replace the pump. I was a little mad when I got home though because they didn't install the newest pump (BG). This was done earlier this year IIRC with around 11k miles on the car. Now I am at 22.5k miles and still haven't had any new water pump issues *knock on wood*. I may or may not have the newest pump installed but I do need to take my car in soon for two other issues (tail light issue and drivers window seal). Will be interesting to see if they bring it up or tell me it has to be done. If this pump works then I am fine with it... the question is IF.
Blindeye_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #298
ashchuckton
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Base CSG DSG
My pump worked fine for 24,000 miles & then it leaked. If you are taking your car in for other issues might as well get the BG water pump done at the same time.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #299
Mk6Daddy
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 Autobahn
Well, exactly one year ago today I had number 2 replaced. So far so good. Only had to top off tank once although I still smell coolant from time to time. Cannot see any signs of drips. I looked at my invoice thinking I had the BG installed but I have a BB instead. As long as not leaking think I'll keep it on there.
Mk6Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:50 PM   #300
ashchuckton
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Base CSG DSG
You have until Dec 31 2018 to change it. I planned on waiting, but my pump had other ideas.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:42 AM   #301
twovalvekid
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
What's up folks? New MK6 member here. Got up this AM and got the low coolant light/warning. Checked and it was below the low band. The pump was replaced before under warranty (maybe 1.5 years ago?), so I started googling and came across this thread. Looked up my VIN, bingo, out there.

The fun part is im supposed to go on a business trip tomorrow with this car.....sent the dealership a note with my service request about it and needing a car ASAP for my trip out of state for 2 weeks. We'll see what they say.
twovalvekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #302
07stuntin6r
Rally Car Champion

Drives:
If they are like my VW dealer they will say they have no loaners to lend out, but you can drop it off.
07stuntin6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #303
ducatiti
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2014 Wolfsburg
My 2014 is now at the dealership for a BG Revision. Is it to early to say that this will finally end our miseries? Metal instead of a plastic impeller, has someone confirmed?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #304
twovalvekid
Go Kart Newbie

Found a dealer that could do it that afternoon. In and out at about 2 hours.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #305
cobie56
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '14 Carbon.Stl.Gry 6SpMan. GTI D.E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
My 2014 is now at the dealership for a BG Revision. Is it to early to say that this will finally end our miseries? Metal instead of a plastic impeller, has someone confirmed?
for what it's worth, my dealer told me that they have been installing the BG pumps since last spring and so far not one has returned for a leak.... fingers crossed...
Old 12-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #306
Cubanboy76

Drives: GTI MkVI
2011 with 49k miles...started the car after being away on vacation for 6 days and get the "Coolant Low" alarm on the MFI. Checked the reservoir and bone dry. Mechanic confirmed the pump is dumping out every last drop. Punched in my VIN on the VW site, and only the service flash for the ECM is mentioned. $700+ repair out of warranty, and it'll take a day to fix. Coincidence? I think not, I asked my mechanic to save the old pump so I can pull the model number off...I'm about to get really familiar with VW Customer Care.
Cubanboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #307
Hella
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI CSG DSG
Just had my turn with the Coolant Punp issue this week (~14k miles). Same as everyone else, started the car in the morning, was greeted with "Check Coolant! Owner's Manual!" and some loud dings. Watched the temp gauge like a hawk on the way to work but it never got any warmer than it usually does. Did a couple of searches here, found this thread and many others, which gave me a very clear picture of what was happening, searched the recall database, and there it was. Called the dealer, they had me in the very next morning, took care of that and the clock spring cover, updated the DSG software while they were at it and washed 'er up all nicey-nice. All things considered, a very smooth and largely painless experience.
Hella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #308
gavinfla
Ready to race!

I am very interested in finding out it they are going to refund me $861 bucks for replacing my water pump just last month for a coolant leak at the water pump. Please keep the thread going on this recall issue if its true. I keep all my receipts.

thanks
gavinfla is offline   Reply With Quote