GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #15
Dabbsy
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf 1.4 TSI
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norwich
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
I would check the in tank fuel pump next, Check the fuel pump in the tank by lifting the rear seat base, it could well be faulty, also the electronic part located in the black pump cover can overheat and cause problems, ( you can diagnose this by feeling if itís hot ),

This video should be of help,
https://youtu.be/5hTNWo3E4nE


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks again for your advice, I am popping the car into my local VW specialist tomorrow. They will run a diagnostics check on the car, and I will show the video I took too. Hopefully its something simple and not something costly.
Dabbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #16
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 624
Any luck finding the issue??

Fuel filter wonít put out a code, you just get symptoms! Pretty sure the same applies to the pump but not 100% sure on that!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
Dabbsy
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf 1.4 TSI
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norwich
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
Any luck finding the issue??

Fuel filter won’t put out a code, you just get symptoms! Pretty sure the same applies to the pump but not 100% sure on that!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The garage could not find anything, I have not checked the fuel pump yet but will do when I get a moment.

Last edited by Dabbsy; 09-28-2017 at 11:26 AM.
Dabbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #18
Dabbsy
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf 1.4 TSI
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norwich
Posts: 14
Just thought I'd update my status. So I have changed the fuel filter twice, had the ignition switch replaced and still I am getting this starting problem. It is happening more often now, is there anything which I may have overlooked?
Dabbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #19
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbsy View Post
Just thought I'd update my status. So I have changed the fuel filter twice, had the ignition switch replaced and still I am getting this starting problem. It is happening more often now, is there anything which I may have overlooked?


Fuel pump!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #20
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 624
When did you last change your spark plugs? I also had plugs fitted at the same time as the filter so they may have played a part in solving it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #21
Dabbsy
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf 1.4 TSI
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norwich
Posts: 14
Hello again Carlos. I changed the spark plugs around 3 months ago. Sorry you mentioned the fuel pump, i have not looked at that as unsure what to do?
Dabbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #22
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbsy View Post
Hello again Carlos. I changed the spark plugs around 3 months ago. Sorry you mentioned the fuel pump, i have not looked at that as unsure what to do?


The video I posted earlier in the thread explains all about the pump.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #23
Dabbsy
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf 1.4 TSI
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norwich
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
I would check the in tank fuel pump next, Check the fuel pump in the tank by lifting the rear seat base, it could well be faulty, also the electronic part located in the black pump cover can overheat and cause problems, ( you can diagnose this by feeling if itís hot ),

This video should be of help,
https://youtu.be/5hTNWo3E4nE


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your help I did see that originally, I hear the fuel pump go off when I turn the key once so I was not sure if it was an issue. Would I need to have the car on for sometime for me to see if its overheating?
Dabbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbsy View Post
Thanks for your help I did see that originally, I hear the fuel pump go off when I turn the key once so I was not sure if it was an issue. Would I need to have the car on for sometime for me to see if its overheating?


Iím not sure to be honest! As I fortunately didnít have to go that route, But any mechanic worth their salt should be able to troubleshoot the things that might cause the issue, my guess would be itís fuel related though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #25
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 624
I think youíve used the wrong filter if the bar pressure was 6.4 originally that is what you should be using, not 6.6!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #26
Dabbsy
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf 1.4 TSI
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norwich
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
I think you’ve used the wrong filter if the bar pressure was 6.4 originally that is what you should be using, not 6.6!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When searching for a new one i was directed to a thread which mentioned that the 6.6 bar filter had superseeded the 6.4 one, maybe all this time it was the 2 filters I got at 6.6 bar which is where the issue lies? All searches to a another filter point me to a 6.6 bar filter including eurocarparts, maybe it is correct?

Last edited by Dabbsy; 11-12-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Dabbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #27
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbsy View Post
When searching for a new one i was directed to a thread which mentioned that the 6.6 bar filter had superseeded the 6.4 one, maybe all this time it was the 2 filters I got at 6.6 bar which is where the issue lies? Worth a shot ill get a 6.4 one, if this still is the issue ill look at the fuel pump as you mentioned


As long as the original was 6.4 then give it a go, It could be that 6.6 is now correct but Iím under the impression that bar rating is the opening pressure and that would suggest it would be more difficult for your fuel pump to push fuel through the filter if it should operate at 6.4bar, once running the high pressure fuel pump would mask the low pressure tank pumps struggle, there is also a 4.0bar filter available so make sure you get a filter matched to your VIN, preferably get it at the dealership or TPS, i was told by Jamie at TurnerRaceDevelopments that it has been known for the wrong filters to be put in the wrong boxes so check the pressure stamped on the filter its self, what was the bar rating on the originally replaced filter??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #28
Dabbsy
Passed Driver's Ed
 
Drives: Golf 1.4 TSI
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Norwich
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosfandango View Post
As long as the original was 6.4 then give it a go, It could be that 6.6 is now correct but Iím under the impression that bar rating is the opening pressure and that would suggest it would be more difficult for your fuel pump to push fuel through the filter if it should operate at 6.4bar, once running the high pressure fuel pump would mask the low pressure tank pumps struggle, there is also a 4.0bar filter available so make sure you get a filter matched to your VIN, preferably get it at the dealership or TPS, i was told by Jamie at TurnerRaceDevelopments that it has been known for the wrong filters to be put in the wrong boxes so check the pressure stamped on the filter its self, what was the bar rating on the originally replaced filter??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was 6.4 bar on the original filter i changed when I got the car to a 6.6 bar one.
Dabbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.