GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
BlueE30
Autocross Champion

Drives: 10' TR GTI 6M and an E30 325 Turbo
Help! Stutter/hesitation under boost then misfiring, CEL then EPC light

Coils?!

I'm on the stock (newer, revised/upgraded) coils and have been for 3 years while being stage 1 tuned, hoping it sounds like my coils are shot and I'm needing to upgrade to the R8's.

Driving to work this am, get on the highway, punch it a bit to get into boost and up to highway speeds and it stutters, hesitates, won't boost then CEL flashes, EPC comes on and it's misfiring the whole way to work.

Still got me here, turned it off, started it back up and the EPC light did not come on again, idle'd fine. Guessing I just popped a coil under boost? On the way to work, under load, it was misfiring most obviously, when the RPM's got high and I was light on the throttle, it was less obvious.

I don't have a reader to determine what the codes were, if it's sounding like the coils then I'll pop into the local VW shop tomorrow and grab a new set of R8's.

Thanks in advance!
2010 TR GTI APR Stage 1 Fully Loaded, APR Carbonio, R8 coils, Rotiform 19's, Koni Coilovers, CTS subframe reinforcement kit, CTS Billet Torque Arm Insert, CTS rear subframe bushing kit, LED Golf R Tail Lights, Xenon Headlights, VCDS changes (DRL's, windows, gauge sweep, etc) and timing chain tensioner updated!
1987 BMW E30 325 Turbo - Too extensive to list.
BlueE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
tdream1
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2010 CW GTI
Sounds like your assumption of it being coils is correct. How old are your plugs and how many miles on them?
APR K04 3.1 - Coolingmist CMGS water/meth controller running dual nozzles and trunk mounted tank - Nuespeed TOP - All 3 UNIbraces - Unitronic CAI with DV relocation kit using DV+ on REV C - 034 RSB - RSR clutch - APR IC - APR cast downpipe -Fluidampr Pulley - Golf R LED tails - Custom OCC - Michelin PSS mounted on Nuespeed RSe12s and too many other things to list.
tdream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
BlueE30
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdream1 View Post
Sounds like your assumption of it being coils is correct. How old are your plugs and how many miles on them?
Sorry, should have added that.

Just changed them 5,000 km (3,000 miles) ago to those NGK platinum ones that have been recommended.

Also, thank you for the response.
2010 TR GTI APR Stage 1 Fully Loaded, APR Carbonio, R8 coils, Rotiform 19's, Koni Coilovers, CTS subframe reinforcement kit, CTS Billet Torque Arm Insert, CTS rear subframe bushing kit, LED Golf R Tail Lights, Xenon Headlights, VCDS changes (DRL's, windows, gauge sweep, etc) and timing chain tensioner updated!
Old 09-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
So it only did that shortly after startup and went away after the engine was fully warmed up?

How many miles on the car?
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 120K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
BlueE30
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_law View Post
So it only did that shortly after startup and went away after the engine was fully warmed up?

How many miles on the car?
80k miles on the car.

And no the car was already fully warm, it did it under low boost from 2nd gear, rpm's were like 2500-3000 and I pushed it to half throttle, got into a bit of boost then stuttered and misfired... EPC came on, then was misfiring the whole way in... turning it off and re-starting it got rid of the EPC light, seemed to idle fine too (was previously misfiring at idle).
Old 09-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
The things that came to my mind were:

-Coils
-Fuel Injector
-Fuel Pump
-Carbon

Or a combo of some of the above. I probably shouldn't be giving any advice though because I'm no mechanic. Just going based on own experience and what I've read/seen.

Oh, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 120K+ MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance - Unitronic Stage 1 & CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit ||| Cosmetic - OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Black emblems/grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // Raceseng Ashiko shift knob // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:09 PM   #7
11gti718
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
if you have a VCDS or know anyone that has one, use it. Scan the car and see what code is it throwing. You need to know if any cylinder is misfiring and which one is it. you’ll need to isolate the cylinder. You’ll have to move some plugs to other cylinders and see if any misfire follows. Do the same for the Coils. Then go from there. Thats my suggestion.
11gti718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:23 AM   #8
Stock-GTI
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Sounds like the coilpacks, I experienced the same symptoms a while back when I punched it and a coil blew. Happened less than 2 days after I went stage 1.
Stock-GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:06 AM   #9
BlueE30
Autocross Champion

FIXED

Took it to a local VW shop... They just ran out of R8 coils, getting more in on Monday but scanned the car, was a misfire in cylinder 1, gave me a good used TSI coilpack until Monday when I'll grab the R8's and good to go.

Thanks guys, damn coil packs!
Old 09-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #10
Flipper
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: Mk6 GTI 13
Boom good to go
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:04 PM   #11
11gti718
Oval Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueE30 View Post
FIXED

Took it to a local VW shop... They just ran out of R8 coils, getting more in on Monday but scanned the car, was a misfire in cylinder 1, gave me a good used TSI coilpack until Monday when I'll grab the R8's and good to go.

Thanks guys, damn coil packs!
if you’re planning on modding the car or keeping it for a while. Invest on a vcds cable. Definitely something worth having. Will save you a lot of money on basic diagnostic fees or to even clear a code. just an advice.
11gti718 is offline   Reply With Quote