GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #1457
Joveen
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
I just hit 88k and barely have money for independent shop work. I'll just have to wait it out and if anything extend warranty will take the cake

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #1458
JSWhaler
Oval Newbie

Drives: 13' GTi
I Plan I’m taking sometime next week and checking to see if I have to replace. Just broke 62k bought new in September 12’.
JSWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #1459
JKoehle
Drag Racing Champion

53k and the rattle started 2 weeks ago. Parts came in today, I just have to pray I make it to Sunday. How long did you guys have the startup rattle, if you did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JKoehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #1460
jshay
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: GLI
Tensioner, chain, guide rails and cam bridge was replaced today. Car is still throwing a P0016 code.

They checked the valves and pistons is a borescope and said they looked fine. The car will be with them over the weekend for further inspection :\
Old 09-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #1461
BringerOdeath

Drives: 2011 GTI Candy White
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshay View Post
Tensioner, chain, guide rails and cam bridge was replaced today. Car is still throwing a P0016 code.

They checked the valves and pistons is a borescope and said they looked fine. The car will be with them over the weekend for further inspection :\
Maybe the camshaft position sensor is bad?
2011 GTI CW,K04 G.I.A.C. Tuned, Godspeed FMIC V2.0(Got for free), R8 red Coilpacks, Volant Intake, Fastbits DV+,42 Draft designs DP-high flow cat, Fluidampr, 034 motorsports street engine/tranny mounts, Vibratech Subframe insert, 034 motosports aspherical dogbone, 034 stainless subframe collar kit, Forge catch can, Charge /discharge pipes, Koni Coilovers, TSW Donington wheels, Golf R side skirts, Brembo 17z's
BringerOdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #1462
jshay
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: GLI
Car is alive and well! I'm not exactly sure what the point of failure was but I actually had the updated tensioner already installed from the factory. $1100 in the hole but still fortunately that's all it cost me.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #1463
Aqualung
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI w/ DSG, Black Pearl
Just had mine done today...I got the tensioner kit from ECS tuning; the CAM bridge was a 40-45 day delivery so my garage got it for me, $293. My local VW dealer couldn't sell the timing chain 'kit' all together.

$903.72 labor...he said the Cam bridge screen was shot, as others have mentioned so it was a good thing I did both at the same time.

Oddly, on a ride after leaving the garage, my Bend Lighting 'failed' (got a display error)...any chance the tech might have screwed up a wire or something while in there?
Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #1464
Tony48
Touring Car Champion

Hey everyone, I have a question about the cam bridge screen. This winter I'll be tackling a timing chain/tensioner/rail upgrade (ECS ultimate kit) and am not sure what I'll find regarding the cam bridge.

My question is this: If the cam bridge screen has already broken off and is nowhere to be found then is it worthwhile to replace the bridge?
Seems to me that the new screen will eventually break off as well and potentially cause more damage. Similarly, if the cam bridge screen is still in place would it be a good idea to pull the screen out before it has the chance to break out and cause damage?

The way I see it I am faced with two scenarios each leading to a few options. Which option should I follow in each scenario?

Scenario 1: Old cam bridge screen in tact:
a) Reinstall old cam bridge as-is (w/screen)
b) Reinstall old cam bridge (without screen)
c) Replace cam bridge (w/screen)
d) Replace cam bridge (without screen)

Scenario 2: Old cam bridge screen is not intact:
a) Reinstall old cam bridge as-is (without screen)
b) Replace cam bridge (w/screen)
c) Replace cam bridge (without screen)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #1465
tofuD01
Autocross Champion

Drives: VW Golf Mk6 Gti
My camshaft bridge was broken when i had my tensioner kit fitted by my tuner so it had to be replaced, they managed to get it same day delivery for the whole job though.
2010 GTi DSG || APR ECU Stage 2 v2.4 | TCU v1.6 || APR Downpipe || Pipercross Intake || Soundaktor Delete || VWR Springs w/ TT struts || 034Motorsport Dogbone Mount Insert || GFB DV+ w/ main spring || GY Eagle F1 A3 (fronts) || 'R8' Coilpacks + BKR7EIX (0.025")
tofuD01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #1466
Tony48
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofuD01 View Post
My camshaft bridge was broken when i had my tensioner kit fitted by my tuner so it had to be replaced, they managed to get it same day delivery for the whole job though.
Define "broken." I'm not clear on how the cam bridge "breaks" other than the screen coming loose.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #1467
italiansanto
Autocross Newbie

Drives: GIAC Stage II 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringerOdeath View Post
Maybe the camshaft position sensor is bad?
That's what happened to my car. Had to replace the camshaft position sensor
italiansanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #1468
italiansanto
Autocross Newbie

Drives: GIAC Stage II 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshay View Post
Car is alive and well! I'm not exactly sure what the point of failure was but I actually had the updated tensioner already installed from the factory. $1100 in the hole but still fortunately that's all it cost me.
Better than the $3,500 dollars I paid for the same job. Consider yourself lucky!
italiansanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:52 PM   #1469
Joveen

$3.5k?????? What?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #1470
BlueE30
Autocross Champion

Drives: 10' TR GTI 6M and an E30 325 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
$3.5k?????? What?

3.5k is pricey, usually timing chain, tensioner, guides, etc should be in the $1,700 - $2,000 range.

I just replaced my tensioner as my chain looked to be in good shape and was in the $800 range tax in from an indy shop.

That being said, if it craps out and eff's your engine, you'll be in the $4k-$5k range at least. (new used engine, labour to pull old and put new in, etc)
2010 TR GTI APR Stage 1 Fully Loaded, R8 coils, Rotiform 19's, Koni Coilovers, CTS subframe reinforcement kit, CTS Billet Torque Arm Insert, CTS rear subframe bushing kit, LED Golf R Tail Lights, Xenon Headlights, VCDS changes (DRL's, windows, gauge sweep, etc) and timing chain tensioner updated!
1987 BMW E30 325 Turbo - Too extensive to list.
BlueE30 is offline   Reply With Quote