GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
So I have been having some problems since I got my Stage 2 Tune. Around 2-4k rpm and most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd gear at around 50-60% throttle I get surging noises. I have integrated engineering tune, intake, and their downpipe. I spoke with them over the phone and I'm scheduled to bring it in. Any suggestions on what to look for or say so I don't get screwed by them or tell me its normal.

As alex said - what coil packs are you running?

logs will tell the tale of this one.

webbry4

Ready to race!
I use to have the same issue after a while but it was with another tune. What I learned/figured out is that when your car starts acting up and surging you just have to reset/clear the codes with the obd II scanner even if you don't have any codes. It's like a way of "resetting" the ecu sort of speak and it should return your car back to normal levels. That's in case it's not a coil pack issue or something else. You're car should run full power and boost without surging afterwards and you'll be happy lol that's probably what I.e. Is going to do anyways, they're probably just going to reflash your ecu but you could just erase the codes with a scanner and it should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve cleared it already and coil packs are R8 with iridium plugs all brand new. And I have no I idea if boost is fluctuating it feels like even power delivery through out. Have a guy running logs on this. The only symptom as of now is a surging noise. I also don't want to get screwed by IE by them saying it's normal when I know it's not.

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
I’ve cleared it already and coil packs are R8 with iridium plugs all brand new. And I have no I idea if boost is fluctuating it feels like even power delivery through out. Have a guy running logs on this. The only symptom as of now is a surging noise. I also don't want to get screwed by IE by them saying it's normal when I know it's not.

Gotcha, unless you haven't upgraded your DV it could be possible. Maybe it's ripped or has a leak and is not holding boost properly

webbry4

Ready to race!
Gotcha, unless you haven't upgraded your DV it could be possible. Maybe it's ripped or has a leak and is not holding boost properly

DV+ seems to be in good shape a couple of local guys say it's the tune I think it might be that or the n75 valve

SELA_MK6GTI

Go Kart Champion
DV+ seems to be in good shape a couple of local guys say it's the tune I think it might be that or the n75 valve

It should be the tune bro, no use of spending unnecessary money. I thought it was the DV and n75 valve and replaced both and the problem still persisted. Just get it reflashed and it should help. You wouldn't want to spend the extra money like I did thinking it'll solve the issue lol
I had mine reflashed and it fixed the problem and then whenever it would act up after words I would just "erase" the codes and it would go back to normal

webbry4

Ready to race!
I went to change my oil today after 5k miles from my last dealer service and noticed that it has a very small leak. Anybody know what this is from or how to fix it. It almost looks like they tightened it too much and bent the pan. Before anybody says anything I had the dealer use the magnetic drain plug.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'm pretty sure I've seen people complaining about that plug leaking before.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
My previous 2.5s' drain plugs always leaked unless I put what felt like excessive torque on the bolt. My first oil change on my 2.0 TSI did the same thing. Maybe because I used a generic copper washer instead of OEM?

webbry4

Ready to race!
My previous 2.5s' drain plugs always leaked unless I put what felt like excessive torque on the bolt. My first oil change on my 2.0 TSI did the same thing. Maybe because I used a generic copper washer instead of OEM?

Ya mine almost looked too torqued a rounded washer took care of it for the most part and has residue but no dripping as of now. I'll probably get a new pan and use oem plug and washers with factory torque specs from now on.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Not sure what ECS uses for a washer, but a crush washer really does seal well. Not sure how it would work on that drain plug.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
My ECS oil plug leaked too. I went back to OEM style plug and it worked fine.

whitewolf33

Go Kart Champion
Ive been using an OEM plug and washer all along never any issues. I was considering ordering the magnetic ECS plug to try out. Guess Ill be sticking with OEM

Aqualung

Passed Driver's Ed
Had my timing chain tensioner/CAM bridge replaced yesterday, picked up today. A couple of short drives after, I got a Bend Lighting failure message and have the 'light bulb' displaying. This is daylight hours, so my headlights were not on.

Q: Seems like a strange coincidence...have about 70k miles on the car. Might the tech have screwed up a connection while they were in there?

Update: I checked the light...there's condensation inside the right HL lens, and the Xenon bulb is out....guess that's probably it?

Last edited: