GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2011 GTI stalling

MOhlrogge

I've since sold my car but after APR changed that last O2 sensor the issue was gone.... for a while. It eventually came back after I drove it for a few months. Not sure if the sensor kept it from happening or if I just never tried to drive the car in a situation that would cause the problem to come up. Either way, it's definitely something to do with the heat of the car because the last time it happened to me, I had driven the car at highway speeds for about 45 minutes. Let it sit for maybe 20 minutes and then went to start it and it would just stall out. The heat of the system causes something to act funny when to try to restart the car.

PunchBuggy

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I'm glad I've found this thread as this is very annoying. My 2011 GTI seems to not want to start sometimes after its already been driven within an hour or so. If it sits for awhile never gives any problem. I've had the EPC light go on CEL as well and service engine as well. The Indy shop has not spent time to check yet as the problem is not every time but now its getting worse and I'm getting to point of selling. After it does start and run all warning lights go off within next 2 drives or so.

I've had the car shake violently as well but the shop said the coil packs were not the culprit and never changed. I'm taking it back to shop this week any advice I can share with shop would be helpful thank you.

titan253

Ready to race!

I had problems with intermittent stalling on crank, turned out to be a bad battery. A shop originally looked at it and said the voltages were fine, but after it kept happening (and replaced coil packs and a new in-tank fuel pump) I finally took out my voltmeter and sure enough the battery would show 11,10, even as low as 9 volts. Replaced it with OEM and haven't had a problem since

PunchBuggy

Passed Driver's Ed
I had problems with intermittent stalling on crank, turned out to be a bad battery. A shop originally looked at it and said the voltages were fine, but after it kept happening (and replaced coil packs and a new in-tank fuel pump) I finally took out my voltmeter and sure enough the battery would show 11,10, even as low as 9 volts. Replaced it with OEM and haven't had a problem since

Thank you I will look into it.

Sauce118

Ready to race!
Thanks. From your description this is completely controlled by the computer then and should have nothing to do with how long you hold the key.

Actually... I'm not sure what dictates this.. Butt my first 2010 4door GTI would crank on its own (not a push button, but a quick crank of the key would keep the starter engaged until it caught and started properly). That car was totaled unfortunately, and I purchased another 2010, a 2door this time (both 6spds). On the second 2010, I have to hold the key in crank position until the engine starts properly. If I don't hold it the whole time, the starter cuts out just like any old car. Both cars were/are APR tuned, so I am not sure what determines this, but it definitely is not the same for every car.