GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 10-04-2017, 12:29 AM   #281
Stock-GTI
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2013 MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk6'12gti View Post
Grams put the throttle bodies on back order supposedly they are "reprogramming" them. Honestly them saying it's plug and play and no tune required is kinda horse shit if you ask me.
Idk, at this point I might put the stock TB back on because my driveability is horrible surges like hell at low speeds, mpg crap, fuel trims etc. I commute 80-100mi a day, can't keep driving like this lol. Gonna check all the connectors one more time. I really doubt it's my tunes fault, since several people are running it perfectly fine with an aftermarket tune. And I want to get my stratified protune going. I.E. Manifold provides more than enough flow anyways.
Stock-GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 AM   #282
Speeddemon69
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock-GTI View Post
Idk, at this point I might put the stock TB back on because my driveability is horrible surges like hell at low speeds, mpg crap, fuel trims etc. I commute 80-100mi a day, can't keep driving like this lol. Gonna check all the connectors one more time. I really doubt it's my tunes fault, since several people are running it perfectly fine with an aftermarket tune. And I want to get my stratified protune going. I.E. Manifold provides more than enough flow anyways.
damn weird that some people are having issues with the new TB... can you explain in exact detail the surging your experiencing? are you dsg?
Speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 AM   #283
Stock-GTI
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon69 View Post
damn weird that some people are having issues with the new TB... can you explain in exact detail the surging your experiencing? are you dsg?

Yeah im dsg, it feels like since the adaptation fails, the TB is either shut or wide open. At low speeds the car bucks, and acceleration is choppy, 0-35 mph is hell. I also can hear the car bleeding off the excess boost. Cars also running rich to compensate.

For perspective my mod list (eventually gonna make a thread after i'm tuned and this crap is sorted out):

Cobb Tuning AP3-VLK-001
Cobb Tuning Downpipe Non-Resonated
Cobb Tuning Catback
Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake
Integrated Engineering Intake Manifold
Spulen Turbo Muffler Delete and Boost Pipes
Fluidampr + ARP Bolt Kit (Crank Pulley)
ARM Motorsports FMIC + Stock IC Delete
Grams 70mm Throttle Body
R8 Coilpacks
NGK BKR7EIX (2667) Spark Plugs Set (4)
Gruven Billet Pulley Set (Alternator and Tension)

Port and Polished Stock Turbo (IHI RHF5)
Forge Wastegate Actuator
GFB DV+

PTP Lava Wrap on Downpipe
PTP Turbo Blanket

Currently running Cobb Stage 2 Stock MAF 93 oct.

Attempted to run the first revision of my stratified map, but anything above ~30-40mph causes overboost and limp mode.

I know someone who ran the TB with I.E manifold and they have 0 issues. And yes I realize in this setup the turbo is now the restriction.

Last edited by Stock-GTI; 10-04-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:09 AM   #284
mk6'12gti
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 4dr Black Gti
Quote:
I remember Peter from IE said this about it running on a tune not ment for that tb. "The throttle control on the ecm side will be all screwed up till a turner fixes the mapping for the larger tb."
| Apr Ko4 v3.1 | Apr stage 2 Dsg | Do88 Ic | IE intake | Circuitwerks turboback | Ecs street shield | R8 coils | S3 style top | Spulen throttle pipe | BC coils | Uni dv relocate | 034 street density mounts | Hpa 75A puck | P3 Gauge | GFB Dv+ |
mk6'12gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:14 AM   #285
Stock-GTI
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
I remember Peter from IE said this about it running on a tune not ment for that tb. "The throttle control on the ecm side will be all screwed up till a turner fixes the mapping for the larger tb."
Yeah I'm sending a email to my tuner at stratified to see if they can fix the problem. They're past the 48hr respond period from my previous email though.
I really don't want to take off the TB, but I might have no choice for now.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:44 AM   #286
mk6'12gti
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 4dr Black Gti
Quote:
Yeah, it feels like since the adaptation fails, the TB is either shut or wide open. At low speeds the car bucks, and acceleration is choppy, 0-35 mph is hell. I also can hear the car bleeding off the excess boost. Cars also running rich to compensate.

For perspective my mod list (eventually gonna make a thread after i'm tuned and this crap is sorted out):

Cobb Tuning AP3-VLK-001
Cobb Tuning Downpipe Non-Resonated
Cobb Tuning Catback
Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake
Integrated Engineering Intake Manifold
Spulen Turbo Muffler Delete and Boost Pipes
Fluidampr + ARP Bolt Kit (Crank Pulley)
ARM Motorsports FMIC + Stock IC Delete
Grams 70mm Throttle Body
R8 Coilpacks
NGK BKR7EIX (2667) Spark Plugs Set (4)
Gruven Billet Pulley Set (Alternator and Tension)

Port and Polished Stock Turbo (IHI RHF5)
Forge Wastegate Actuator
GFB DV+

PTP Lava Wrap on Downpipe
PTP Turbo Blanket

Currently running Cobb Stage 2 Stock MAF 93 oct.

Attempted to run the first revision of my stratified map, but anything above ~30-40mph causes overboost and limp mode.

I know someone who ran the TB with I.E manifold and they have 0 issues. And yes I realize in this setup the turbo is now the restriction.
Any real benefit with the gruven pulley set?
| Apr Ko4 v3.1 | Apr stage 2 Dsg | Do88 Ic | IE intake | Circuitwerks turboback | Ecs street shield | R8 coils | S3 style top | Spulen throttle pipe | BC coils | Uni dv relocate | 034 street density mounts | Hpa 75A puck | P3 Gauge | GFB Dv+ |
mk6'12gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #287
Stock-GTI
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
Hard to tell with the throttle issues at the moment, but from what I can tell revs are definitely smoother and lighter. I attribute the smoothness to the fluidampr, but the reduction in rotational mass is nice. I know the stock turbo can only flow so much, so I'm to trying to gain back lost hp rather than create more.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #288
A3Scott20
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 A3 DSG
Currently running Grams TB together with IE intake manifold and no issue. Low end torque and throttle respond are better

BTW, I have had to make another new throttle pipe in order to avoid collision between throttle pipe and fans, because car has APR intercooler and TyrolSport radiator installed, that means the space is really limited.
A3Scott20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:17 AM   #289
Stock-GTI
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3Scott20 View Post
Currently running Grams TB together with IE intake manifold and no issue. Low end torque and throttle respond are better

BTW, I have had to make another new throttle pipe in order to avoid collision between throttle pipe and fans, because car has APR intercooler and TyrolSport radiator installed, that means the space is really limited.
Yeah I know lol, I'm the one who messaged you on IG. Grams said they want the TB back for testing and are sending me a return label, I'm trying to get them to send me a replacement first because I don't want to have to put the stock one back on, but the car is my daily so I might have no choice.

I'm using USP's Spulen Throttle pipe still have pretty ample space.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:02 AM   #290
Speeddemon69
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by A3Scott20 View Post

good to know i'm not the only one having this problem.
Speeddemon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #291
HYDE16
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddemon69 View Post
good to know i'm not the only one having this problem.
Same issue here, had to bend the Nuespeed TBP bracket which bolts to the block, this gave me some clearance again between the fan and TBP.
Instagram:@becauseHYDE16
YouTube: HYDE16
HYDE16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #292
Chris659
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 12 Beetle Turbo
Quote:
Quote:
Hard to tell with the throttle issues at the moment, but from what I can tell revs are definitely smoother and lighter. I attribute the smoothness to the fluidampr, but the reduction in rotational mass is nice. I know the stock turbo can only flow so much, so I'm to trying to gain back lost hp rather than create more.
I've got their idler pulley on mine. Can't say I noticed any difference but any time I can swap out factory junk for quality parts I will. I've heard bad stuff about the alternator pulley since it's clutchless though
Chris659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #293
Stock-GTI
Go Kart Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris659 View Post
I've got their idler pulley on mine. Can't say I noticed any difference but any time I can swap out factory junk for quality parts I will. I've heard bad stuff about the alternator pulley since it's clutchless though
I've heard both ways. Tried to find the thread I read somewhere clutched pulleys are more important on Diesel engines due to increased vibrations. I'm monitoring battery voltage and other parameters, and my belt for wear. If I get any sign of a issue the stock one goes back on. Haven't noticed any increases in NVH. That being said I would never install the idler or Alternator Pulley without having a fluidampr as well.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I'll update if I find that the Grams TB was faulty.

Last edited by Stock-GTI; 10-07-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: was derailing thread
Old 10-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #294
jkells
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2011 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
I would check to see if you have a boost leak. I had a leak at the connector to the TB. You literally have to seat the flange on the TB all the way at the top and torque it down EXTREMELY tight with a ratchet. I have not had a single issue since I did that.
jkells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grams, throttle body, throttle body upgrade