GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 01-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #71
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 CW GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlody91 View Post
Didn't realize there was a thread like this for long-term ownership. I'm hoping to keep this car to at least 200k as well so this is a sigh of relief knowing that it's possible
Yeah, I didn't see a thread like this on the boards when I started it. I thought it would be a good contribution to the forums .
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

LightningRhod's quest to 200k and beyond
LightningRhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #72
MegaMikeLA
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningRhod View Post
Yeah, I didn't see a thread like this on the boards when I started it. I thought it would be a good contribution to the forums .
There he is! I hit 110,000 this week and just picked up the car yesterday from getting DSG fluid/filter change. Still stage II APR. Couple new rattles here and there but for the most part she's holding together!!!

MegaMikeLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #73
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMikeLA View Post
There he is!

Quote:
I hit 110,000 this week and just picked up the car yesterday from getting DSG fluid/filter change. Still stage II APR. Couple new rattles here and there but for the most part she's holding together!!!
Glad to see your car going strong. I have a number of rattles/noises too (door weather strippings, sway bar end links/bushings, sunroof rails when opening/closing), but otherwise the car has been good to me .
APR Stage 2 :: Golf R LED tail lights :: AWE boost gauge :: Neuspeed P-Flo :: Enkei PF01 18x8 :: Dunlop Star Specs :: DG Springs :: UR DP :: UB :: XB :: R8 Coils :: SPM OEM BBK :: OSIR CF lip :: Bilstein :: Hotchkis :: 034 Front Endlinks

Old 10-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #74
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Just thought I'd do a quick update here, sitting at 173k miles

- Got my timing chain tensioner replaced recently as preventative maintenance a few months ago. Heard some rattling on start up back in Dec 2016, so decided to get it done finally.

- AWE boost hose failed earlier in the year. Audible "wheezing" sound was noticed under the hood after the engine was warmed up. Noticed the boost hose was collapsed which caused the wheezing sound, but no loss in power or anything from that. Replaced the hose since it was a cheap and easy fix.

- Replaced my Continental DWS tires (100k miles or so on them) with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. Really like the tires, as they provide comparable grip to my previous track tires (Dunlop Star Specs), but are smooth and quiet for a daily.

- Intake manifold was replaced earlier this year (again) after getting a P2015 engine code. So I'm now on my third intake manifold.

That's pretty much all the major things going on with the car. Trying to get back to Laguna Seca, so I'm aiming for March as a bday gift to myself .

Old 10-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #75
APRMK6GTi
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Just thought I'd do a quick update here, sitting at 173k miles

- Got my timing chain tensioner replaced recently as preventative maintenance a few months ago. Heard some rattling on start up back in Dec 2016, so decided to get it done finally.

- AWE boost hose failed earlier in the year. Audible "wheezing" sound was noticed under the hood after the engine was warmed up. Noticed the boost hose was collapsed which caused the wheezing sound, but no loss in power or anything from that. Replaced the hose since it was a cheap and easy fix.

- Replaced my Continental DWS tires (100k miles or so on them) with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. Really like the tires, as they provide comparable grip to my previous track tires (Dunlop Star Specs), but are smooth and quiet for a daily.

- Intake manifold was replaced earlier this year (again) after getting a P2015 engine code. So I'm now on my third intake manifold.

That's pretty much all the major things going on with the car. Trying to get back to Laguna Seca, so I'm aiming for March as a bday gift to myself .
Might join u in March!
2012 CSG GTI 6SPD | APR Tuned | AWE K04 | APR Carbonio | IE FDS IC | 42DD DP | Magnaflow CBE | Neuspeed TOP/ACP | GFB DV+ | DG S6 | OEM MSB | Verdict SBB | HST RSR | ECS Bleeder Block | SuperPro LCA/ALK | 034 TAI | AST/GC | OZ | TT-RS Brakes | Whiteline 24MM F&R | Tyrolsport | Unibrace XB/UB/RB | EuroSport LB | Euro OEM LED | OEM Aero Parts | P3 |
Nor Cal VW Drivers Club Feel free to join!
APRMK6GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #76
omer333
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2012 VW GTI - Black and Plaid
I'm definitely following this thread since my car's at almost 79,000. It had 72,000 when I bought it.

Got any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #77
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRMK6GTi View Post
Might join u in March!
I'll definitely let you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omer333 View Post
I'm definitely following this thread since my car's at almost 79,000. It had 72,000 when I bought it.

Got any advice?
In general, don't skimp on maintenance with this thing. If you want the car to last a long time, you'll need to know your car better than the average consumer:

- You may be due for a carbon cleaning since your at 79k. My car finally threw a code at 117k for dirty intake valves, but other forum members have reported having this problem at much lower mileage.

- Check if you have the old style chain tensioner (there's a lot of resources/threads on this site on how to do that). Labor is a bit expensive to get it updated to the new part , but worth the peace of mind IMO.

- Intake manifold warranty was extended to 10 yrs/120k miles I think? Not sure if that warranty is transferable since you bought it used, but just something to make note of if yours fails.

Is this a higher maintenance vehicle? YES. But I'll tell you this much. A Toyota Corolla never put a smile on my face as much as the GTI does every day

Last edited by LightningRhod; 10-10-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #78
MegaMikeLA
Rally Car Champion

Drives: MK6 GTI
Close behind you at 113,000!
MegaMikeLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #79
omer333
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
In general, don't skimp on maintenance with this thing. If you want the car to last a long time, you'll need to know your car better than the average consumer:

- You may be due for a carbon cleaning since your at 79k. My car finally threw a code at 117k for dirty intake valves, but other forum members have reported having this problem at much lower mileage.

- Check if you have the old style chain tensioner (there's a lot of resources/threads on this site on how to do that). Labor is a bit expensive to get it updated to the new part , but worth the piece of mind IMO.

- Intake manifold warranty was extended to 10 yrs/120k miles I think? Not sure if that warranty is transferable since you bought it used, but just something to make note of if yours fails.

Is this a higher maintenance vehicle? YES. But I'll tell you this much. A Toyota Corolla never put a smile on my face as much as the GTI does every day
Turbos ain't cheap and EVERYTHING has a turbo nowadays.

Thanks for the heads-up on the carbon cleaning. What's the average price for that?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:10 PM   #80
gdub09
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by omer333 View Post
Turbos ain't cheap and EVERYTHING has a turbo nowadays.

Thanks for the heads-up on the carbon cleaning. What's the average price for that?
$600+ more than likely? Had a bad injector so they replace it under warranty and I did the cleaning while the manifold was off so I just had to pay for the cleaning. That was about $450ish if I remember.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #81
omer333
Passed Driver's Ed

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #82
RudeJr
Touring Car Champion

What's the average price for a track day at Laguna Seca?
Old 10-10-2017, 07:23 PM   #83
LightningRhod
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMikeLA View Post
Close behind you at 113,000!
Nice! I see your car is for sale in SF. GLWS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeJr View Post
What's the average price for a track day at Laguna Seca?
I run with the NCRC, and a track day with them runs for $189. If it's your first time tracking (ever), you'll have to do driving school with an instructor, which costs $209 with that organization:

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php

Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #84
RudeJr
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
I run with the NCRC, and a track day with them runs for $189. If it's your first time tracking (ever), you'll have to do driving school with an instructor, which costs $209 with that organization:

http://www.ncracing.org/events.php
Nice! Thank you.