GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI doesn't go straight down the road very well.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Im at about 64k Miles. Recently aligned and I dont have any suspension mods except Hitchkiss 27mm Sways front and back and a Whiteline anti lift kit (rear lower control arm bushings and housing).

My car handles really well in turns but I have to put so much goddamn effort into keeping it tracking straight down the highway. It seems to want to wander in either direction instead of staying straight. Ive gotten several alignments and its always the same. Could it be the sway bars are too aggressive? Or any suggestion of a suspension part that may need replacing that could be the culprit?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Also this is my thousandth post.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
What setting do you have on your sways? How are your tires?

im on medium on both

happens on both my summer rims and tires and my winter setup. in varying degrees of wear. Right now my winters will be at the wear bar by march

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
try setting the rears to soft. I had my 22mm H&R rsb at hard and the car felt really squirrelly at freeway speed over every little bump. when I set it to soft, it was much better. tires almost to the wear bar will cause this as well.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
try setting the rears to soft. I had my 22mm H&R rsb at hard and the car felt really squirrelly at freeway speed over every little bump. when I set it to soft, it was much better. tires almost to the wear bar will cause this as well.

thanks im gonna try em both on soft.
I had the same issues on my summers that were new this season.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
It is hard to say, but to me it seems like the toe is not correct. Sounds like some toe-out. & it will cause what you are experiencing. You say you have a good alignment so that probably isn't it. I don't think your swaybars are going to cause this issue. Back them off, but I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

Lastly who is doing your alignments? You need a person who knows what they are doing. Just because a shop has an alignment rack doesn't mean they know how to use it.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
It is hard to say, but to me it seems like the toe is not correct. Sounds like some toe-out. & it will cause what you are experiencing. You say you have a good alignment so that probably isn't it. I don't think your swaybars are going to cause this issue. Back them off, but I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

Lastly who is doing your alignments? You need a person who knows what they are doing. Just because a shop has an alignment rack doesn't mean they know how to use it.

yeah so the one i just got a month ago was by a vw dealer in my area who just got one of those hunter alignment machines so I figured it would be perfect. Its possible i just need to go somewhere where i can specifically request a little toe in

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I went soft on both front and rear sways and have a lot less sideways movement at speed

dadbodk04

I went soft on both front and rear sways and have a lot less sideways movement at speed

I find it interesting that stiffness would cause that, I've even offset my sway bar adjustment to set it for certain tracks and it didn't track funny on the highway. Did you ever get your car on a frame machine? Possible it is tweaked just a little from a previous owner?

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
no but its tracking perfectly at this point so im good