GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

LaRayes

https://avinusa.com/volkswagen-factory-backup-camera-rgb-to-rca-converter.html

Any other options?

From that site with shipping, it comes out to $80 Australian (aud)

But I've seen some on aliexpress/ebay for around $25?

This one from ali express
IMG_5068.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sholksmagen

Passed Driver's Ed
I just received that unit. Lookds like a RCD330 plus with modified firmware. Tested both Android Auto and Apple Carplay. AMA

initial thoughts:

Screen: great improvement. responsive capacitive touch, bright and seems like higher resolution

Quality: feels good, not like OEM but really close.

Android Auto and carplay works great.

Current Bugs:
1. After extended time off, the speaker fader resets to driver side front only. I have to go into fader settings and change it to middle.

2. Turning on the device sometimes audio resets to 0 volume. You either have to adjust volume up and sometimes power off and back on again.

Minor bugs. I reached out to the seller and he said it might be a firmware bug and he'll let me know when theres new firmware (doubtful seeing as the seller is from aliexpress)

Overall I'm very happy with the unit dispite the minor issues. more than anything Im just happy to have Android auto and carplay in my 2011 GTI.

I'll post pics if you guys ask for it.

Few questions:

I think this is an OEM unit without any modifications. Looks to be the same one posted here?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/190238-review-r340g-head-unit-my-polo-gt-tsi.html

What about the quality doesn't feel OEM? Just curious.

Last question, how do Carplay and AA hold up when a USB extension cable is used? I'd figure the Android would hold up okay, but I know Apple products can be incredibly finnicky. Could you try it out?

Thanks!

vinamack

Finally got some pics:

https://imgur.com/a/MWngD

not sure if you guys can see that.

as for OEM - most likely, it sure feels that way. The vendor did put their own sticker over the OEM one so Im not sure if it was a modified firmware or not. Not sure how we can find out.

For quality - dont get me wrong, it still feels really good. My comment is mostly for volume/tuner dials. It does feel as...dampened? However Im comparing it to my german made MK6 whilst remembering the new MK7 made in Mexico didnt feel as nice.

Not sure if I can help with usb extensions has I currently do not have any. If I find one at work, I'll try it out and report back.

casti

Recently installed this, first impressions:

Install: 10 mins, Easy as can be. Granted I've reinstalled radios in this car at least 10 times now so I consider myself a bit of a professional. Pop off the radio bezel, 4 torx bolts and yank out the radio. Switch over cables and pop on the antenna adapter and reinstall.

Impressions:

Better than even anticipated! Super snappy screen, almost as smooth as my iPhone itself surprisingly. Sure the interface has yellow accents but they are super subtle and don't bother me (and I'm quite OCD about those things normally).

Sound is amazing and maybe even a few more watts than my RCD-510 that just came out for this to go in. I have a stealth 10" sub and amp attached and the entire thing sounds equal to if not better than my previous radio, no distortion issues of any kind.

Carplay is fairly intuitive as you would expect from any apple product. Was happy to see Amazon Music on there as I'm a Prime member and the included selection is awesome. Maps looks great, looking forward to the iOS11 update that includes speedlimits and a few more cool routing features.

Messaging, phone, and the microphone all work decently at least sitting in the parking garage where I installed it. I really don't talk on the phone in the car as I'm generally driving like a maniac.

Taking it for a drive on the way home today to test out more features and the navigation but so far I am impressed and surprised really about how nice it is for the price.

Order with confidence, this thing does not disappoint.

Oh, I bought the B version with the App button and Carplay $225 off ebay

Hi,

Are you stil happy with the radio?

spopinski

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally got some pics:

as for OEM - most likely, it sure feels that way. The vendor did put their own sticker over the OEM one so Im not sure if it was a modified firmware or not. Not sure how we can find out.

For quality - dont get me wrong, it still feels really good. My comment is mostly for volume/tuner dials. It does feel as...dampened? However Im comparing it to my german made MK6 whilst remembering the new MK7 made in Mexico didnt feel as nice.

Not sure if I can help with usb extensions has I currently do not have any. If I find one at work, I'll try it out and report back.

Thanks a lot!

Me likey :w00t:

SkyNet

First of all many thanks for this topic it is great guidance; I managed to buy my new unit from one of the eBay users suggested here. I have a problem connecting with CarPlay when I connect my iPhone it says connecting through Baidu Carlife. Any idea what can be the problem? The device seems to have Apple CarPlay version 210.80

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Finally got some pics:

Do ya mind posting the version info screen?

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
First of all many thanks for this topic it is great guidance; I managed to buy my new unit from one of the eBay users suggested here. I have a problem connecting with CarPlay when I connect my iPhone it says connecting through Baidu Carlife. Any idea what can be the problem? The device seems to have Apple CarPlay version 210.80

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's Asia's version of CarPlay.. https://www.techinasia.com/baidu-carlife-revealed

My unit came with Baidu, Carplay and Android Mirroring though I only use Carplay as Apple has consumed my technological life. lol