GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Cleaning with media blaster.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Hi everyone,

I've got a hookup to use a professional grade media blaster to carbon clean with but they'll only let me use the glass beads as media.

Obviously I want to take advantage of this opportunity but glass beads sounds like it would be more abrasive than Walnut shells. So I'm pitching it to you, my peoples, to see what you think.

I'd also be interested in swapping my intake manifold with the revision while I'm in there. I have a 2013 not sure when the revision manifold was released or if I might already have it. Any way I can check? If I already have it I understand that I'll just have to replace the gasket and injector o-rings?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Do they have a reason for only letting you use glass?
It's what they use in their blaster I'm assuming they don't want Walnut shell powder mucking things up

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I think glass beads are too abrasive for a aluminum cylinder head. Walnut shells work perfectly fine for carbon build up. The reason why i prefer walnut shells are because if you make a mess and get them stuck in tight spots they'll eventually burn away.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, the blasting media shouldn't be harder than the material you're cleaning. Pass on this deal.

CHerna

Ready to race!
I think glass beads are too abrasive for a aluminum cylinder head. Walnut shells work perfectly fine for carbon build up. The reason why i prefer walnut shells are because if you make a mess and get them stuck in tight spots they'll eventually burn away.

Gives your exhaust a nice smell, probably. /s

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
When i walnut blasted my valves my car smelled like roasted walnuts for 2 days. It was great.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
When I did mine I discovered that ground walnut shells make my throats close up and my eyes water. It was supremely uncool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well you have found a new allergen. congrats dont die next time.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Walnut dust is a sensitizer - it can cause an allergy to develop even if you're not immediately allergic to it.

Protect yourselves when you do this stuff, people.

clownish

just clowning around
Walnut dust is a sensitizer - it can cause an allergy to develop even if you're not immediately allergic to it.

Huh. Never knew that. I avoid walnuts like the plague now though! This happened even though I was wearing a hood - harbor freight for the win (normally used when I am soda blasting stuff).

well you have found a new allergen. congrats dont die next time.

Fortunately my friend had the foresight to blast the ac for a long time while I showered and recovered and the car was drivable when I had to drive it. No lasting issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion

Good to know I'd prolly just had done it bare faced. However I want one of the metal pieces that go over the hole so the vacuum gets all the dust.