GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 10-31-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
labartic

Drives: 2012 GTI
SATX - 2nd Synchro ?

Hey gents,

I have put 70k mostly highway miles on my GTI. When I first got it I was ignorant and would rev the sport mode hard from a stop and probably wore down the synchro for 1-2 gears and every now and then I will notice the synchro make a "bbvvvtttt" noise when it doesnt slide up or down properly.

I read that synchromesh or maybe a fluid change would help - as I dont want to totally remove the transmission and replace parts unless I absolutely need to. So I have a few thoughts.

1 - Do a fluid change - maybe add synchromesh.
2 - Find someone local who is skilled at replacing transmission syncho/gears and pay them cash or trade them a gun or precious metals or something for their assistance.
3 - Go get raped by the dealership.

Any suggestions? I was going to try and do #2 by myself but thought it probably wouldnt be wise since I havent got the time due to work to really do the job right the first time.
labartic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #2
Pre95
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 10 GTI DSG, 83 URQ
Does it make the noise on upshift as well or only downshifting?

My brand new TDI made shifting noises on downshifts between 3rd to 2nd, or 2nd to 1st from the factory.
Pre95 is offline   Reply With Quote