GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 11-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #953
loosecannon

Drives: 2013 2-Door Golf R - Tornado Red
Winter tire package for 2013 Golf R

Just purchased a 2013 2 door Golf R, and the previous owner had summer tires, so I'm looking for a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires.

I live in the Seattle area, and the winters in the city are rarely snowy, mostly just cold and wet. But I do want to be able to go up over to the mountain passes, to go skiing, winter recreation etc, occasionally driving up some sketchier packed snow back-country roads and such, though I was able to make it up those in all seasons on a Honda element, so it's nothing outrageous.

I was thinking about a performance winter tire, specifically the LM-001 with the 17" Anzio Turn wheels. Do you think that would be a good set up? Is there anything in particular you would recommend otherwise. I hesitate to go for the WS-80 or a full winter/studless just cause the dry/wet bare pavement is more the norm.

Is it possible to get steelies or otherwise cheaper wheels for the R, or will they just not clear the brakes?

I have this sitting in my cart on TireRack but am just kinda hesitating before spending that much without being sure it's the right call.
loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote