GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

No Heater/AC Fan

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The low and mid speed fan speeds of my heater/AC fan quit working today, good thing the hi speed was still working as the windows fogged up with the heavy rain we got.

When I switched to hi speed the fan groaned a bit before it got to full speed indicating that the fan resistor prolly overheated because the bushings were bound up, but its been a year since I last cleaned the fan motor. : (

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106245&highlight=Resistor

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
ALL Fixed up, I cleaned up the fan bushings and replaced the thermo fuse on the fan control resistor with a 216 one from Sayal Electronics in Markham for $3, saved myself from spending $80 for a new one from VW. They had a 228 thermo fuse but I'd rather the thermo fuse blow early as opposed to later and damage the wiring as the fan control resistor is so easy to access and repair.

Literally take only 3 minutes to remove the resistor from the car and about the same time to reinstall. Fan maintenance is another story tho.

TIP: Makes sure you take note of the orientation on the thermo fuse before you cut it off the resistor. I didn't... so had to watch the video again to see the orientation of the thermo fuse.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
UPDATE: Fan running a bit noisy after a few days the WD40 didn't last long, but at least I'm not popping thermal fuses. I removed the fan last night, now takes me only a couple of minutes. Lubed the bushings with drops of 5W30 Castrol engine oil, letting it soak into the oiliite bushings overnight, with occasional rotating of the fan shaft to help distribute the oil.

Will install the fan in the morning.

zrickety

The Fixer
Haven't had this happen yet, but thanks for the tip on where to get the resistor.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Haven't had this happen yet, but thanks for the tip on where to get the resistor.
No Problem, :w00t: alway willing to contribute.

The VW connectors to the fan and resistor are super simple to release :thumbsup: in comparison to other ones on the car.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
A few of you are having difficulty with reinstalling the fan so I hope these instructions are of some help.

Attachments

• 1 Removal.JPG
    1 Removal.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 509
  • 2 Insert the Fan.JPG
    2 Insert the Fan.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 627
  • 3 Line Up the Arrows.JPG
    3 Line Up the Arrows.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 308
  • 4 Rotate Fan Housing Clockwise.JPG
    4 Rotate Fan Housing Clockwise.JPG