GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup 101

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Oil Catch Cans are NOT a cure for Carbon deposits, even though they are being sold as such.

Due research on the web people still have the problem, if anything it just slows it down.

Also, if you live in cold climate where it freezes? This can be an issue as well, again read up on that.

Lastly, In states like California where Emissions are taken too seriously, an oil catch can is an Automatic fail at the emissions test.

If your willing to spend $500 on a catch can? Why not just go crazy and do Water or Water/Meth Injection instead? THIS would actually do something and get a performance gain at the same time.

I believe if you change out yoru PCV Valve every 50k or so as a precaution, use good oil with a low NOACK rating and use top tier gas, these will all help about as much as that catch can will.

Just look at it as part of maintenance on the car to have the valves cleaned every 80k miles or so. This goes FOR ALL DI MOTORS not just VW's by the way.

Just part of owning a DI car unfortunately.

Dub On....

Jeff

I noticed this summer that the catch can didn’t really catch anything, but now that it’s cooled down and obviously catching more moisture with some blow by crap. Also, have never had issues with oil consumption, but I change mine usually every 5k miles since I do a lot of stop and go commuting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriggenT1

Banned
Oil Catch Cans are NOT a cure for Carbon deposits, even though they are being sold as such.

Due research on the web people still have the problem, if anything it just slows it down.

Also, if you live in cold climate where it freezes? This can be an issue as well, again read up on that.

Lastly, In states like California where Emissions are taken too seriously, an oil catch can is an Automatic fail at the emissions test.

If your willing to spend $500 on a catch can? Why not just go crazy and do Water or Water/Meth Injection instead? THIS would actually do something and get a performance gain at the same time.

I believe if you change out yoru PCV Valve every 50k or so as a precaution, use good oil with a low NOACK rating and use top tier gas, these will all help about as much as that catch can will.

Just look at it as part of maintenance on the car to have the valves cleaned every 80k miles or so. This goes FOR ALL DI MOTORS not just VW's by the way.

Just part of owning a DI car unfortunately.

Dub On....

Jeff

The problem with the pcv is they are plastic pieces of junk that don't always have a clean sign of being bad. It's basically guess work. I bought the newest revision when my last one went out around 20k or so, but now with 25 psi peak? Little plastic valves don't often do well with that sort of pressure. Some have good luck, some don't for whatever reason. Either way, the catch cans can and will freeze, the pcvs can and will fail...a VTA setup is a little better since pressure can still be let off.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
The problem with the pcv is they are plastic pieces of junk that don't always have a clean sign of being bad. It's basically guess work. I bought the newest revision when my last one went out around 20k or so, but now with 25 psi peak? Little plastic valves don't often do well with that sort of pressure. Some have good luck, some don't for whatever reason. Either way, the catch cans can and will freeze, the pcvs can and will fail...a VTA setup is a little better since pressure can still be let off.

Yeah that was the only reason I switched to a catch can was my first one failed. Even at stage 2 levels. Only downside I will have to remove my CC due to freezing temps coming up soon in the Chicago winter. I wish they made a aftermarket design that still could just be routed the OEM way for people in winter climates that don’t want the OEM PCV. I don’t know if I’d want the oil mist all over my engine bay with a VTA setup.

jysaw

Ready to race!

may I know what's the latest revision part #?

FriggenT1

Banned
Yeah that was the only reason I switched to a catch can was my first one failed. Even at stage 2 levels. Only downside I will have to remove my CC due to freezing temps coming up soon in the Chicago winter. I wish they made a aftermarket design that still could just be routed the OEM way for people in winter climates that don’t want the OEM PCV. I don’t know if I’d want the oil mist all over my engine bay with a VTA setup.

You can buy an Amazon cc for about 80.00 or so, route the front to the front pcv, route the rear to the exhaust, cap off the intake pcv port....and done

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
You can buy an Amazon cc for about 80.00 or so, route the front to the front pcv, route the rear to the exhaust, cap off the intake pcv port....and done

Yeah I’ll probably ruin my CAT doing that lol. Do you just plug it into where the unused O2 bung sits?

FriggenT1

Banned
Yeah I’ll probably ruin my CAT doing that lol. Do you just plug it into where the unused O2 bung sits?

I don't have an extra bung, but I think you can do it anywhere on the exhaust. I'm catless so it doesn't matter to me lol