GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #1485
GreyGti1990
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
I replaced my tensioner and cam bridge at 80k miles. left the chain and guides alone. Brought it to a Indy shop that specializes in German cars. $1,500 out the door; admittedly it was on the high side of the price spectrum but they do a great job.

Chains and guides to be replaced at 100-110k mile hopefully.
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:42 PM   #1486
Tony48
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 GTI
For anyone interested ECS has the OEM Ultimate Timing Chain kit on sale for $451.23. You have to go to the "Build Your Own Timing Chain Kit" and choose all of the OEM options. This way it's much cheaper than $530.86 for the "kit" but you get the same parts. I just ordered my kit.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #1487
GreggGTI

Drives: GTI
Hey guys. Long time lurker, here now with a question.
2012 GTI 2.0 TSI, tensioner blew up on me! I didn't expect it, but it's gone. Happened on shutdown and now won't start. I feel like it's bad, definitely jumped some links. It's been to two shops and both of them threw hands up. Weak! Now I'm bringing it to a foreign auto shop for a teardown and quote. I'm not sure if valves are bent or not.
My question:
I'm a decent shadetree mechanic ('79 VW bus restoration). I have seen a lot of used motors for sale about $2K+. If the shop is priced around that, is there anything stopping me from pulling the bad motor and putting in a new one myself? Are there any serious hang-ups to taking out the old one and putting in a new one? Would I need to replace the turbo or should the accessories still be trusted in light of the timing jump? I have a one-car garage and some available time coming up.
Thanks guys
GreggGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #1488
Dans GTI

Drives: 2010 MK6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggGTI View Post
Hey guys. Long time lurker, here now with a question.
2012 GTI 2.0 TSI, tensioner blew up on me! I didn't expect it, but it's gone. Happened on shutdown and now won't start. I feel like it's bad, definitely jumped some links. It's been to two shops and both of them threw hands up. Weak! Now I'm bringing it to a foreign auto shop for a teardown and quote. I'm not sure if valves are bent or not.
My question:
I'm a decent shadetree mechanic ('79 VW bus restoration). I have seen a lot of used motors for sale about $2K+. If the shop is priced around that, is there anything stopping me from pulling the bad motor and putting in a new one myself? Are there any serious hang-ups to taking out the old one and putting in a new one? Would I need to replace the turbo or should the accessories still be trusted in light of the timing jump? I have a one-car garage and some available time coming up.
Thanks guys
If you can get the new motor complete for $2k i'd do that if i were you. If you have the tools and ability to swap the motor yourself then you should do it, its a pretty simple car to work on.
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Dans GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:06 AM   #1489
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Got mine done (main timing chain, tensioner, guides, etc) the other day. Just have to go pick up the car tomorrow. If it wasn't such a PITA, I would have done the replacement myself and saved some $$$.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #1490
GreggGTI

Drives: GTI
Quote:
If you can get the new motor complete for $2k i'd do that if i were you. If you have the tools and ability to swap the motor yourself then you should do it, its a pretty simple car to work on.
Thanks man. I have a set of tools, but it's mostly average equipment. Nothing extravagant. An engine hoist, jacks and socket sets. Like you said, it's simple to work on. If it's a 'take out the old one, put he new one back in' plug and play job, I'm not scared at all. I intend to get one with accessories already onboard.
I've seen the list of compatible 2.0t engines from other cars, are there any absolute deal-breakers? Like I said, I need a plug and play option. I plan to use the existing ECU, will all sensors be the same?
Thanks a lot
GreggGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #1491
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
It's a bit more involved than you think. I've done all types of work from suspension to internal parts replacement to motor swaps and I didn't want to tackle the job. It's not the end of the world difficult but it isn't easy either.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:29 PM   #1492
artemk93
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 KO4 GTI
Need opinions
Car is a 2012 at 67K miles. A local reputable shop checked and told me that I have an updated tensioner. I have also checked chain stretch through vagcom and got -3.0, which I believe is within the norm (-4,4). I am still worried about the tensioner failing.
Should I just get a new tensioner, and install it myself
or
should I get new chains, guides, etc and update everything?

There're couple DIYs for the tensioner update, it looks very doable, but I haven't seen any chain update DIYs, and don't know how complicated it is
artemk93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #1493
Dans GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemk93 View Post
Need opinions
Car is a 2012 at 67K miles. A local reputable shop checked and told me that I have an updated tensioner. I have also checked chain stretch through vagcom and got -3.0, which I believe is within the norm (-4,4). I am still worried about the tensioner failing.
Should I just get a new tensioner, and install it myself
or
should I get new chains, guides, etc and update everything?

There're couple DIYs for the tensioner update, it looks very doable, but I haven't seen any chain update DIYs, and don't know how complicated it is
So, you have a updated tensioner and your chain isnít stretched, and your car has relatively low miles. Why in the world would you want to waste money on replacing parts that donít need replacing?
2010 MK6 GTI 6MT: APR Stage 2.4 High Output : eBay special downpipe : IE Intake : R8 Coils : BKR7EIX : DWS06 : 034 Dog Bone Mount : 034 Dog Bone Insert : StopTech Brake Pads : SPM CatBack : Sachs ZF Clutch : Diesel Geek Short Shifter : GFB DV + : Clutch Stop :
Old 11-11-2017, 07:17 PM   #1494
artemk93
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans GTI View Post
So, you have a updated tensioner and your chain isnít stretched, and your car has relatively low miles. Why in the world would you want to waste money on replacing parts that donít need replacing?
probably once a month on startup I can hear the rattle. I can never duplicate it, seems to happen on random. While chain is within norm, it will probably be out of norm before I hit 100k.
I am just trying to do some preventative maintenance, instead of waiting for everything to break.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #1495
Dans GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemk93 View Post
probably once a month on startup I can hear the rattle. I can never duplicate it, seems to happen on random. While chain is within norm, it will probably be out of norm before I hit 100k.
I am just trying to do some preventative maintenance, instead of waiting for everything to break.
I doubt your hearing timing chain rattle at 67k miles. Your chain obviously is not stretched. Maybe your hearing something else?
Old 11-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #1496
artemk93
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans GTI View Post
I doubt your hearing timing chain rattle at 67k miles. Your chain obviously is not stretched. Maybe your hearing something else?
Sounds exactly like videos online, only on startup for a second or two. It never happens on cold engine, happens only when the car has been sitting for couple hours, so tge engine is slightly warm.
I have been reading this thread for a while, and my symptoms seem to be consistent with what others have reported

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #1497
funnyfarm299

Drives: 2009 GLI
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
Got mine done (main timing chain, tensioner, guides, etc) the other day. Just have to go pick up the car tomorrow. If it wasn't such a PITA, I would have done the replacement myself and saved some $$$.
What did you wind up paying?
funnyfarm299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:56 PM   #1498
realcyberbob
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTI
Send a message via AIM to realcyberbob
How can you check the stretch with vagcom?
2011 CW GTI 6-Speed: APR Stage II, APR Carbonio Intake, Clutch Masters FX350 Clutch Kit, 42nd Draft Designs Downpipe, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, Forge Twintercooler, BFG DV+, Dieselgeek Short Shifter, ECS Dogbone Mount Insert, StopTech Pads & Slotted Rotors, Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit, Golf R LED Tail Lights, CiM Vent Boost Gauge, RNS-510 Navigation, Uber-Stealth Box & 10" Pioneer Sub, Alpine MRP-M500 Amp, 25th Ann. GTI Golfball Shift Knob, Modshack Low Profile Engine Bay Trim, Hankook V12
realcyberbob is offline   Reply With Quote